The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Carolina - revised

REVISED BASED ON FEEDBACK

To Carolina: Miller

To Van:. Kotkaniemi, Seth Jarvis, Scott Morrow

I know a lot of people are excited about the Boudreau bump, but I don't believe that we can really be a contender in the duration of Miller's contract.  

The return is a left shot center and a right shot center both already in the NHL, both under 22 yo, both with the potential to be top 6.  We also get a RD prospect with solid upside.  

Things to note: 

Kotkaniemi's extension would need to be reasonable (ie 3-4 mil max) and done ahead of time. - this might be the largest hurdle.  

The cap hits are basically a wash halfway through the season.

It gives Carolina a better chance of winning now as it does not overly deplete their current roster.   They also still have Suzuki and Drury has center prospects coming up.  They are also solid and young on right D.  (A testament to where we are at in comparison)

It gives us depth at centre and a blue chip RD prospect.

Some may argue that Jarvis is too small, but he is 19 and already an NHL player.  He has lots of time to bulk up. 

Miller can always return as a UFA if he wants.  Hopefully by that time we are starting to look like a contender. 

The return is basically 2 1sts and a second.  Which I think is decent value, though some may want a little more.

Edited by Gino Gino Gino
Wrong name

Carolina gave up a 1st and a 3rd to sign Kotkaniemi. 

So you’re asking them to give up This years 1st. Last years 40th OA, 2020’s 13th OA and this years 3rd for a year and a half of Miller.  

I can’t see them dropping that big a haul when they’re already dominating the league. 

Also. Kotkaniemi has no reason to sign a contract between $3-4m.  His AAV on his last contract was $3.45m and he’s due a qualifying offer of $6.1m this offseason. You could probably get him to sign for $5m ish with some term. But less seems unreasonable. 

6 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Carolina gave up a 1st and a 3rd to sign Kotkaniemi. 

So you’re asking them to give up This years 1st. Last years 40th OA, 2020’s 13th OA and this years 3rd for a year and a half of Miller.  

I can’t see them dropping that big a haul when they’re already dominating the league. 

Also. Kotkaniemi has no reason to sign a contract between $3-4m.  His AAV on his last contract was $3.45m and he’s due a qualifying offer of $6.1m this offseason. You could probably get him to sign for $5m ish with some term. But less seems unreasonable. 

They might if they feel this puts them over the top.  They are a great team, but they need to beat a bunch of great teams to take the cup 

10 minutes ago, Gino Gino Gino said:

They might if they feel this puts them over the top.  They are a great team, but they need to beat a bunch of great teams to take the cup 

They’re 2nd in the league with fewer games played than the other leaders.  They also have the best goal differential at +33.  I doubt they’re willing to sell the farm to fill a hole that doesn’t exist 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

A lot of Miller trade proposals, but I'm wondering if they trade Miller at all.  He's too valuable, the engine that drives this team.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Pettersson, Horvat or Boeser traded at some point, though. 

If you trade Petey and have Miller walk in 2 years. Oh boy..

I like Carolina. Let's help them win a cup.

I like EP. Let's help his dream of playing for a winning team come true.

To Vancouver: Kotkaniemi + Jarvis

To Carolina: Pettersson

Pearson-Miller-Boeser

Dickinson-Horvat-Hoglander

Podkolzin-Kotkaniemi-Garland

Motte-Jarvis-A dude

• Haha 1

I'm fine with trading Miller but yeah, given what they've given up to get KK I dunno if they'd be willing to move him

Miller makes them better, sure, but they're already a great team 

I'm not saying it's a bad proposal, I just question whether they'd actually go for it 

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'm fine with trading Miller but yeah, given what they've given up to get KK I dunno if they'd be willing to move him

I'm not saying it's a bad proposal, I just question whether they'd actually go for it 

NYR made a ton of moves despite being the best team in the league back in 93-94...including some big name up and comers for proven playoff vets.    So this sort of thing for sure happens.    I wouldn't do this deal personally though, feel we could do better.  

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, khay said:

I like Carolina. Let's help them win a cup.

I like EP. Let's help his dream of playing for a winning team come true.

To Vancouver: Kotkaniemi + Jarvis

To Carolina: Pettersson

Pearson-Miller-Boeser

Dickinson-Horvat-Hoglander

Podkolzin-Kotkaniemi-Garland

Motte-Jarvis-A dude

This makes less sense than the OP. 

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

NYR made a ton of moves despite being the best team in the league back in 93-94...including some big name up and comers for proven playoff vets.    So this sort of thing for sure happens.    I wouldn't do this deal personally though, feel we could do better.  

I think so too, I don't mind roster players that fill holes if the cap works but I want picks too

They can be flipped to build the team or used

13 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Fair.  But it would take a return bordering on too much to make me okay with letting him go.  I love Miller, he's just too old for this core.