The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why isn't the Turks and Caicos a province of Canada?

bolt

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Could you imagine the uproar there would be if one Province didn't have to pay federal taxes and the others did? It would be a stipulation that they would have to pay Canadian corporate tax, income tax, and GST. That's why it won't work. Canada needs to look at Sweden/Finland. Nations that pay high taxes, but you get a lot of services and bang for the buck. 

In Canada that would just lead to more useless bureaucrats deciding what special interest group to waste money on this time around.

I used to believe that the Swe/Fin model would be a great idea to follow but I look at how it is now, where the resources go and really, me paying more so Quebec and Ontario get even more and I continue to get nothing? I already get nothing provincially because I don't live in Victoria, Lower Mainland or Okanagan.

I'd rather pay less, "get less" at this point because I don't trust the politicans and bureaucrats to get it right anymore. And that goes for every last ****ing one of them, the party is irrelevant.

I'm fine with adding provinces and people to Canada; as long as it is done at a pace, and numbers, that ensure that the new province becomes Canada and not Canada becoming part of their province.

California is out, as they have too large a population, but I see no trouble in adding 40-50 K.

Would do the world a bit of good to see nations expanding without using violence.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

This is one of the few things that Harper did right. Imagine having a spoiled kid from overseas demanding citizenship, all the while being used to NO TAXATION.

Harper did A LOT of bad things, but taking on Turks and Caicos will NOT benefit Canada.

yea thats fair. In We'd have to be saving them from sea level rise too. A lot to take on for not much back for the average taxpayer. 

• Cheers 1

How would you square it with it bring a BOT and that they all are British citizens. Would you strip them of that or give them additional rights. Even if they voted for it, they are a dependancy and as such the final decision would rest in Westminster 

• Thanks 1