The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC housing Assessments

bishopshodan

@Warhippy

Pointed out in his status update that the assessments are out.

I live on my dream property so I would like it not to increase in value for tax reasons. I would like to spend my last days here but the land taxes might catch up to me.

How's it for you in your area?

Type your address in here

https://www.bcassessment.ca/Property/AssessmentSearch

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

This is my surrounding area/neighbours (not posting my own home).

I went from $422,500 to $571,000 in a calendar year.  Literally Jan 1 to Jan 1

Remarkably, some of the larger properties are actually the lower end of expensive.  While I know some will look and say between $400k-$550k  is not much, keep in mind our average 1 bedroom rental in my area is now around $1500 a month without utilities in a city/region where the median monthly post tax income is around $2300.

For how people are just scraping by I am not sure how they will be able to afford the massive increase in property values these assessments dictate will be occurring.

https://www.bcassessment.ca//Property/Info/QTAwMDA5NFRGSw==

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

This is the house I spent a decade in.

Purchased for under $170k in 2004, sold recently for $540k ish.  Immediately listed for $1.3 million

https://www.bcassessment.ca//Property/Info/QTAwMDA5NFNRMA==

wow.

side note

I dont know how they come up with the assessment values on the buildings. I understand the land/area going up but my rental is almost falling down and they almost doubled the shack's value. 

6 minutes ago, AriGold said:

Listed for development though ? Condos on both sides, should be an easy sell.

Apartments on both sides.  Side by side duplex behind.  Parking lots behind and to the side.  There is no proper access to the alley because of the duplex and apartments parking lot.  With n o alley access, now a bike lane in the front, city amendments don't allow for large development without alley access and with the new bike lane in front of it it also now restricts the style of row home or townhomes that can go in here.  Essentially you have room for maybe 7-9 townhome units/long row home.  But with restricted access to alley and new bike lane on main exit it leaves it down to a 3 unit maximum.

The person who bought it was a developer out of the lower mainland and found the same issues we had occurring.  He has dropped the initial sale price down to around $1 million because he cannot get the rezoning amendments he wanted to maximize construction.

I spent years trying to amend those zoning issues....was a nightmare and why we sold for what we thought was cheaper than market value for the land size

Edited by Warhippy

True story:  1957. My Mom and Dad were renting a house near Kits. They were expecting their first (My sister). The landlord goes. "You're a nice young couple. I'll sell you the house for $18,000." My Dad who grew up in East Hastings, he's like "That's too much thanks..." Bought in Richmond for $5,000. 

Waaaahhhhhhhh. Dad what were you thinking!!!?!?!?!?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

True story:  1957. My Mom and Dad were renting a house near Kits. They were expecting their first (My sister). The landlord goes. "You're a nice young couple. I'll sell you the house for $18,000." My Dad who grew up in East Hastings, he's like "That's too much thanks..." Bought in Richmond for $5,000. 

Waaaahhhhhhhh. Dad what were you thinking!!!?!?!?!?

My Mom had a real keen sense of business...she was always scouting out property (which is how I bought my cabin in Birch Bay before I hit 21).  She bought the first house that her and Dad lived in (the one I grew up in)...but wanted to acquire more property.  I remember her going around Steveston and coming home and saying to Dad "we can buy that double corner lot for $7,000.00".  My Dad, "what for?  We already have a house".  End of conversation. 

We would've been rich if Mom was at the helm and making the decisions.  

My ex was the same....persuaded me to sell the property in Birch Bay (prime location) for $28,000.00.  It sold the next year for $80,000.00.

• Sad 2

Just now, hammertime said:

Can I still re finance at 2% pretty please Trudeau. 

I'm flooding money on to my mortgage, I am allowed $52,300 above and beyond my standard monthly.  Hoping to pay it off or at least get close enough to paid off that the ensuing interest hikes won't hurt as much

And they're coming...lord are they coming

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

$1,970 because of the TV antenna!

I can't believe no one replaced that "fence".  I had a lot of so called "friends" drop b back then....way more often than I liked (I was young and it was a place to party....it had a firepit by the side door there).  Friends I never knew I had.  Store at the bottom of the hill sold cheap booze.  International Cafe in Blaine had gambling.  We'd go to concerts at the Kingdome and then crash there afterward....The Who was one that comes to mind.  Three little bedrooms...two with bunkbeds, one with a double bed.  And a fold up couch in the living room.

I recall one night my b/f and I were chillaxing when all of a sudden a bunch of harleys pulled up onto the front boulevard right by the front windows there...my friend Donna brought her new b/f and all his friends.  We had a fire going and they got carried away...running out of firewood, they started tearing down the fence, used the picnic table, etc. to keep it going.  I was not impressed (and kicked them all out).  My b/f was kind of in awe of my no fear attitude in addressing the situation...bunch of bikers scared off by a 100 lb woman.  Hell hath no fury stuff.

There was a nice prune plum tree on the left...looks like it's still there.  I had friends (grandma/grandpa types) up the road...Ruby and Ron.  Fond memories...some, not so much (when the crowds "dropped by").   

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I can't believe no one replaced that "fence".  I had a lot of so called "friends" drop b back then....way more often than I liked (I was young and it was a place to party....it had a firepit by the side door there).  Friends I never knew I had.  Store at the bottom of the hill sold cheap booze.  International Cafe in Blaine had gambling.  We'd go to concerts at the Kingdome and then crash there afterward....The Who was one that comes to mind.

I recall one night my b/f and I were chillaxing when all of a sudden a bunch of harleys pulled up onto the front boulevard there right by the windows...my friend Donna brought her new b/f and all his friends.  We had a fire going and they got carried away...running out of firewood, they started tearing down the fence, used the picnic table, etc. to keep it going.  I was not impressed (and kicked them all out).  My b/f was kind of in awe of my no fear attitude in addressing the situation...bunch of bikers scared off by a 100 lb woman.  Hell hath no fury stuff.

There was a nice prune plum tree on the left...looks like it's still there.  I had friends (grandma/grandpa types) up the road...Ruby and Ron.  Fond memories...some, not so much (when the crowds "dropped by").   

Deb, the bouncer, takes no crap. 

32 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

For how people are just scraping by I am not sure how they will be able to afford the massive increase in property values these assessments dictate will be occurring.

they can't, its over for many. 

But thats also not the end of things. We need actual good rental options and co-op ownership, to make sure people have good options.