The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC housing Assessments

bishopshodan

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Honestly, many (not all) but a large margin of real estate agents are essentially modern day used car salesmen.  Allowing an agency to police itself is insane.

Reading numerous stories about federal action coming in on how canada's real estate agents and agencies conduct themselves and it's not pretty.  Realtor forcing a couple to go in $230,000 over asking because of all the offers...except their were none and the agent pocketed a massive commission.  Blind bidding, shadow flipping etc.  It's kind of insane.  Without mentioning our allowance of foriegn entities to purchase homes  wholesale from trusts and off shore accounts without ever setting foot in canada or paying taxes the same way you or i would.

I hate these types of stories. It casts a bad shadow on the industry.

20 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

I hate these types of stories. It casts a bad shadow on the industry.

The problem is.  They're so common now as to be an industry standard and not an outlier.  Every long term agent with ethics is being overshadowed by those who traded in buick sales for bungallows

• Like 1

Sadly, the government says your place is worth XXX dollars; they are NOT offering to buy it.

As a former comic book, and current record collector, I'm aware that things are only worth what you get, when you sell them.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Sadly, the government says your place is worth XXX dollars; they are NOT offering to buy it.

As a former comic book, and current record collector, I'm aware that things are only worth what you get, when you sell them.

They generally always sell more then the numbers they give.. 

5 hours ago, gurn said:

its like the old saying, its not what you make its what you keep. I don't get too worked up over these numbers, they don't mean much until you sell. 

What people really need to watch out for is the easy line of credit increases that come with this, thats where you can really get yourself in to trouble. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Honestly, many (not all) but a large margin of real estate agents are essentially modern day used car salesmen.  Allowing an agency to police itself is insane.

Reading numerous stories about federal action coming in on how canada's real estate agents and agencies conduct themselves and it's not pretty.  Realtor forcing a couple to go in $230,000 over asking because of all the offers...except their were none and the agent pocketed a massive commission.  Blind bidding, shadow flipping etc.  It's kind of insane.  Without mentioning our allowance of foriegn entities to purchase homes  wholesale from trusts and off shore accounts without ever setting foot in canada or paying taxes the same way you or i would.

Theres been 3 houses we have looked at.  Gone there and our realtor said he got a call that day from the seller saying they got offers.  1 legit had them and sold a few days later, 2 are still on market a month+ later.  We didn't bite on either of those in a panic to get in a bidding war thankfully.  

One house I wanted to check out last week, ended up going 300k over asking.  There was ZERO reason for it, it was already above the average.  There is NO way its not foreign because theres no way someone was paying that price for the suburbs. 

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Theres been 3 houses we have looked at.  Gone there and our realtor said he got a call that day from the seller saying they got offers.  1 legit had them and sold a few days later, 2 are still on market a month+ later.  We didn't bite on either of those in a panic to get in a bidding war thankfully.  

One house I wanted to check out last week, ended up going 300k over asking.  There was ZERO reason for it, it was already above the average.  There is NO way its not foreign because theres no way someone was paying that price for the suburbs. 

You should read about that couple from the Ottawa river valley who were forced in to bidding almost $800k over asking.

There's some seriously shady things us buyers aren't seeing

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

You should read about that couple from the Ottawa river valley who were forced in to bidding almost $800k over asking.

There's some seriously shady things us buyers aren't seeing

800k? 

What The Hell Just Happened Reaction GIF

And buyers see it, its all foreign money, everyone knows it but government doesn't give 2 craps because every home sold and flipped they get a cut each time.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Russ said:

800k? 

What The Hell Just Happened Reaction GIF

And buyers see it, its all foreign money, everyone knows it but government doesn't give 2 craps because every home sold and flipped they get a cut each time.

My mistake sorry

$400k over asking with some shady realtor related issues

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/ottawa/2021/3/19/1_5354943.html

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

We purchased our first house just over a year ago, and the assessment is sayings it's gone up by 250k over what we got it for. Yeah, I don't think so...

What do you mean?

I believe it is rare for homes to sell at less than assessed value...