The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Seattle Kraken | Jan. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I highly doubt the NHL would let him cancel the Canucks season outside of the entire league shutting down for the season. So he's risking cramming in a bunch of game towards the end of the season in the hopes that things get back to full capacity here.

Why not take partial revenue for the OTT game now, keep the boys playing/warm, then we're on the road for almost two weeks after this. If capacity opens up after the road trip, just partial revenue lost for the OTT game and the boys avoided another mentally damaging postponing.

It's not a Canuck issue. It's a Canadian team issue

Canada has a different set of rules that limit capacity

We are already disadvantaged by our dollar but making 50% revenue while US teams continue rolling on would be highly disadvantageous going forward such as as free agency etc.

My guess is Canadian teams will push for postponement until the league has to decide how to reallocate the lost revenue in canadian cities so that every team comes out relatiely even. We used to bail out teams like Arizona. Maybe it's Canadian teams' turn to get bailed out.

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

49 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I believe this is an NHL order. Not ownership. Also, even if he did have a say, I would like to see how you would pay for the 80 something million dollar salary cap AND pay for all those arena expenses on just half capacity. 

Nah this is ownership. The nhl gave the home teams the option to play or not. Just like last Saturday the laffs game they decided to play without fans 

11 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

While that it is fair. Do you see restrictions getting better or going away anytime soon? The more we postpone the games, the more of a brutal schedule we get by postponing the more potential that players will suffer burnout. Risk Demko overplaying and getting injured would KO any playoff chances we would have. There would go FA’s playoff profits.

I understand it’s easier for us fans to say let them just play. But do you see things getting better for crowds at games? 

I've long given up trying to figure out what happens next in this bloody pandemic. Though winter was always going to be an issue IMO. Hopefully warmer weather, no major family holidays etc soon changes current trends a bit.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Three Canucks getting a little bit of love (maybe friend-zoned is a better description) in the NHL trophy races. I didn’t realize BB won the year he replaced Carrot Top after 21 games, so taking over after TG wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibility. One can dream…

Would put Boudreau is some pretty elite company if he could win another one.

Two time winners:

Trotz

Tortorella

Bowman

Lemaire

Quinn

Only coach to win 3 was Pat Burns.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

:lol: well way to make me look stupid. Maybe I'm too optimistic at the run we could make :towel:

Great points. That aside then it just sucks we are derailing our momentum. I was getting used to expecting a win every night !

Lol yeah I am hoping for a playoff push and hopefully round 2 + if we hit the playoffs super hot.

Like Aquaman though, I have a lot riding on the Canucks making the playoffs.  30 Days ago, I wouldn't have said no if they cancelled the season. lol

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We’re talking about one game of 50% revenue loss here. If they can’t afford that they shouldn’t be NHL owners.

They’re banking on restrictions changing in the near future which is far from a guarantee. We’re gonna reach a point where the NHL simply says you’re out of runway and they’ll have no choice but to play. At that point there may be no fans allowed in the building. Better to take 50% of a pie than 0%.

Unless health officials have assured them that restrictions will be lifted after this wave (which they couldn’t possibly do at this point) then this seems like a silly gamble that will cost them more and put more pressure on the players and their already tight schedule.

We're still talking 1m+ per game.

If I was Aqua, I'd be looking at 3 scearios

1) Postpone and hope that rules change and makeup games are done at full capacity.  (small chance although data is suggesting that Omicron isnt tying up the ICUs like the rest of the pandemic which is one of the main factors when policymakers decide on things like restrictions. If they continue to see that Omicron is more like flu symptoms rather than death, we may see a change in policy and become more like the states)

2) Postpone with all other Canadian teams until league figures out a revenue sharing / bailout method and reallocate revenue from the states to help Candadian teams

3) Postpone for as long as possible and hope for a 10% chance that League cancels the season if the virus gets even worse in January while it eats through team lineups and hope to get out of paying payroll.

46 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

While that it is fair. Do you see restrictions getting better or going away anytime soon? The more we postpone the games, the more of a brutal schedule we get by postponing the more potential that players will suffer burnout. Risk Demko overplaying and getting injured would KO any playoff chances we would have. There would go FA’s playoff profits.

I understand it’s easier for us fans to say let them just play. But do you see things getting better for crowds at games? 

Well the thing is, other teams still have games in hand on us.

Until we are behind 4-5 games, our schedule would look similar to the rest of the West no?

Col, Cgy, Minni, Winnipeg, Dallas, Seattle, Arizona have all played less than us

Weve played the same amount as Chi, LA and STL

Only 7 teams have played more than us.

The assumption is that Ott game along with the other 5 already postponed will be played ath the end of the season.

That's like 6m+ there if policy changes by April/May

Edited by CanucksJay

I'm going to out on a limb and say most people have no clue they just want to see a hockey game. I'm sure the decision was made on what's best for the owners. Who am I to criticize that when we don't know the reason. If it's money than that is acceptable and makes sense.

For anyone comparing USA vs Canada remember our healthcare system is free if you are sick with Covid and needs to be hospitalized as long as it takes til you get back on your feet. USA on the other hand, their citizens have to pay to see doctors if they are sick with Covid unless they have a great job with insurance. Canadian healthcare needs to plan to ensure we aren’t bombarded with patients. So to those whiners give them a break if they don’t want to allow canucks etc to have full capacity.

Chaisson, not again, lol.  keep your head high Bo and Co., you and your team will get through this and still be millionaires. Get ready for the eastern swing and my dad will be cheering you on from the Cariboo while I do the same from Quebec.

Keep winning the week and we shall see Demko do his thing again in the playoffs...GCG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

There’s no more running from this. We have to start playing home games after this trip. I can’t see the NHL allowing this with the owners anymore. The games need to be played with or without fans 

i know, why im shocked its still happening, like i said in past threads, its time to move on already , worse case play wihtout fans, but get the games done already

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

It's not a Canuck issue. It's a Canadian team issue

Canada has a different set of rules that limit capacity

We are already disadvantaged by our dollar but making 50% revenue while US teams continue rolling on would be highly disadvantageous going forward such as as free agency etc.

My guess is Canadian teams will push for postponement until the league has to decide how to reallocate the lost revenue in canadian cities so that every team comes out relatiely even. We used to bail out teams like Arizona. Maybe it's Canadian teams' turn to get bailed out.

no up to the canadian team aswell, since the leafs can play games in canada, but the canucks cant

2 hours ago, mordekai said:

For anyone comparing USA vs Canada remember our healthcare system is free if you are sick with Covid and needs to be hospitalized as long as it takes til you get back on your feet. USA on the other hand, their citizens have to pay to see doctors if they are sick with Covid unless they have a great job with insurance. Canadian healthcare needs to plan to ensure we aren’t bombarded with patients. So to those whiners give them a break if they don’t want to allow canucks etc to have full capacity.

Oh boy, it’s not free you pay in taxes 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1