The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

January - make or break month for Canucks

Rate this topic

Canuck Luck

1 hour ago, Wanless said:

This might just be the hardest road trip of the NHL

if the canucks can go 500 i could see them winning a round in the playoffs, if they dont i have a hard time believing they will make the playoffs

Yep. FLA, TBL, CAR, and WSH are top 5 teams in the NHL right now and NSH is 8th. We go 500 or better against them, I think we may be able to win more than a round.

I'm personally looking forward to the game against Tampa. I still remember that 9-2 loss. That team was too fast and too skilled, essentially a version of the team that we aspired to be. With best goaltender in the league and to top it off, well coached.

Now we have one of the best goaltenders in the league and well coached. Let's see how it goes.

If we win that game, that would mean something. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Canuck Luck said:

January looks like it will be a real make or break month for the Canucks. 

image.thumb.png.fcb36abe0c9f4a3c58204d25e6e27904.png

We will see if the Canucks really are a good team as they showed in the last 8 games under BB or whether they go make to being mediocre at best. The teams they play are mostly quite strong teams. 

Gonna be an interesting month!!

GCG

IF we get to play more games in January.. not looking promising :(

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, khay said:

Yep. FLA, TBL, CAR, and WSH are top 5 teams in the NHL right now and NSH is 8th. We go 500 or better against them, I think we may be able to win more than a round.

I'm personally looking forward to the game against Tampa. I still remember that 9-2 loss. That team was too fast and too skilled, essentially a version of the team that we aspired to be. With best goaltender in the league and to top it off, well coached.

Now we have one of the best goaltenders in the league and well coached. Let's see how it goes.

Yeah, if we somehow beat Tampa it points to very good results for us ahead. We almost always lose against them.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

Would it mean that Benning really put a decent team on the ice with only a few holes to plug? to become elite? just maybe? 

Hey, I like Benning. No need to convince me.

He had to be fired though because he couldn't see how terrible his coaches were and didn't have the guts to move on from them.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, khay said:

Another way of looking at this is that, despite how atrocious this team played in the first 23 or so games of the season, the Canucks are not far off of the playoff picture.  We always knew they were better than they looked.  Are they as good as the top 5 teams?  No.  But my guess is that momentum has its power and those top 5 teams will not take the Canucks lightly given the last 10 games.  

Agree with the above.......if EP gets his game back (and a few others for that matter), we may see a Canucks team that comes out of this tough stretch with a 0.500 or greater record, which would do just fine.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, khay said:

Hey, I like Benning. No need to convince me.

He had to be fired though because he couldn't see how terrible his coaches were and didn't have the guts to move on from them.

I think it was a matter of JB knowing he had a good team and not far off target but with the ____ that went on with the way this year started but once getting all the players on the same page eventually just didn't happen fast enough but TG didn't have to complicate things and just kept it simple as BB has..

I suppose we'll never know if JB had toyed with the thought of cleaning house if things didn't turn around because we have a lot of talent on this team and imo this is as close at we've ever been but we still have to toughen up the line-up without sacrificing skill but that doesn't exactly grow on trees especially when the elite teams get the best of the crop and we usually have to settle for whatever is left over. Not exactly what Canadians want to hear but it's true.

However there's been a few David's around among the Goliaths, so one never knows but JR has his work cut out for him.

• Upvote 1

One thing for sure the new Management will be closely watching. 
When Canucks hockey resumes….this month will tell us alot. Playoffs…yes/no maybe…trade deadline needs or sells.

Me..im looking forward to seeing Canucks play against top caliber teams so i can see where this team is at. Also i wanna see what kind of fight Canucks got in them. This road trip will set the stage of things to come.

8EAEEA40-C7E2-4962-BC76-34E873F2245D.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

I thought going .5 in January would give us a great platform, to get to the play offs... now I'm no longer so sure...

All of the games accumulating is going to be tough to get through as well... + ring rustiness... Maybe they'll surprise us all...

At this point follow BB's win the week and see what happens next...