The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks hire Rachel Doerrie in an analytics role

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I also got called misogynistic because I don't think her limited experience qualifies her to make hockey decisions.  I'd also extend that opinion to the Sedins.  For the record, I'd like to see Jen Botterill as one of the AGMs. 

It's just a strawman. Problem is that when you start accusing someone of misogyny it turns from a simple disagreement over hockey to an outright attack on someone's character. It's an ugly, terrible thing to say about someone, and not a word that should be used as frivolously as it has been here. Certainly anyone being openly misogynistic should be called out on it,  but I haven't seen any of that here.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

What I don't like is people implying or even outright stating that criticism of Doerrie's various comments, be it her criticism of Benning or circulating rumors about Petey and Miller, are somehow misogynistic just because she's a woman. She's very brash, and being that brash is going to come with it's fair share of criticism, regardless of genitalia. 

If anything, holding her to a different standard than someone like J.D Burke simply because of her gender is clearer case of misogyny than any criticism being directed towards her in this thread. 

The difference is, if J.D. Burke was hired, nobody would be saying that for him to be successful here, he would need to "keep his mouth shut".  It's pretty obvious why that particular comment is being made here

Just now, AV. said:

The difference is, if J.D. Burke was hired, nobody would be saying that for him to be successful here, he would need to "keep his mouth shut".  It's pretty obvious why that particular comment is being made here

Yeah, I'm going to call bull$&!# on that. A lot of people would be telling him to shut up, myself included.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's just a strawman. Problem is that when you start accusing someone of misogyny it turns from a simple disagreement over hockey to an outright attack on someone's character. It's an ugly, terrible thing to say about someone, and not a word that should be used as frivolously as it has been here. Certainly anyone being openly misogynistic should be called out on it,  but I haven't seen any of that here.

To be fair, most of the misogynist posts have been removed/hidden. The number was not small. 

• Sad 3

35 minutes ago, -SN- said:

To be fair, most of the misogynist posts have been removed/hidden. The number was not small. 

Giving this another sad face.

Disappointing to learn that there would be any misogynistic posts in this thread that needed to be removed/hidden.

Thanks for your work cleaning up that mess, @-SN-

And for any CDCers who made misogynistic posts: do better. :mad:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Giving this another sad face.

Disappointing to learn that there would be any misogynistic posts in this thread that needed to be removed/hidden.

Thanks for your work cleaning up that mess, @-SN-

And for any CDCers who made misogynistic posts: do better. :mad:

are you really that surprised? 

2 hours ago, AV. said:

I definitely don't agree.

first of all, keeping her mouth shut was a reference specifically to her track record previously of shooting her mouth off on twitter etc. 

second of all, I think jd burke should keep his mouth shut NOW, when he's in a job that specifically requires him to open it (or the digital equivalent).

20 minutes ago, tas said:

first of all, keeping her mouth shut was a reference specifically to her track record previously of shooting her mouth off on twitter etc. 

second of all, I think jd burke should keep his mouth shut NOW, when he's in a job that specifically requires him to open it (or the digital equivalent).

I think we might on to something, hiring the most obnoxious voices on Twitter to shut them up.  

At least Doerrie seems like she’s good at her job… maybe we can hire Burke to wear the fin suit.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

But there is no "track record".  It's been made out to seem that way because a few fans of ours are still bitter about what she said re: the previous GM and some things she had heard about some of our players.  None of that is problematic.

7 minutes ago, AV. said:

But there is no "track record".  It's been made out to seem that way because a few fans of ours are still bitter about what she said re: the previous GM and some things she had heard about some of our players.  None of that is problematic.

I don't know, I think people in media spreading baseless, potentially defamatory, mean-spirited rumours is bad. even if the rumours are true, if you don't have confirmation from at least two seriously reliable sources, you shouldn't be reporting it if you have any integrity. 

1 minute ago, tas said:

I don't know, I think people in media spreading baseless, potentially defamatory, mean-spirited rumours is bad. even if the rumours are true, if you don't have confirmation from at least two seriously reliable sources, you shouldn't be reporting it if you have any integrity. 

Who said the stories were baseless?

3 minutes ago, AV. said:

Who said the stories were baseless?

I do, until she shares her verifiable sources. that's basic fundamentals for anybody who has so much as seen journalism portrayed on tv, let alone had any training or experience in the field. 

Edited by tas

1 minute ago, tas said:

I do, until she shares her verifiable sources. that's basic fundamentals for anybody has so much as seen journalism portrayed on tv, let alone had any training or experience in the field. 

Do you demand the same of Darren Dreger, Pierre LeBrun, Elliotte Friedman, etc to also "share their sources" when they report news or share what they've heard?

1 minute ago, AV. said:

Do you demand the same of Darren Dreger, Pierre LeBrun, Elliotte Friedman, etc to also "share their sources" when they report news or share what they've heard?

they don't do the same thing, firstly. the ones you listed are professionals and act professionally and within the realm of journalistic integrity. they also don't need to share their sources because it's common knowledge that they legitimately HAVE sources. we see them talking to them on live tv.

1 minute ago, tas said:

they don't do the same thing, firstly. the ones you listed are professionals and act professionally and within the realm of journalistic integrity. they also don't need to share their sources because it's common knowledge that they legitimately HAVE sources. we see them talking to them on live tv.

Lol.  How does one *act* professional?  Like, was she supposed to share the stories in a certain way, use specific words, etc?

She was an employee for a professional NHL team.  The likelihood of having sources within the game is probably high and she may even share the same sources as the "legitimate" guys.  The stories are far from baseless.

If Brian Burke, or Kevin Bieksa, or any other former hockey guy told those stories, would you believe it?  They're not a journalists, either, let me remind you.

• Haha 1