The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Frugal Living Thread

Gurn

9 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Ok, Ok!

#1. Look at real estate in Dawson Creek.....it is amazing how little it costs

#2. Get a work from home job (aka internet)

#3. Get a bike for going to the store (hint...buy a basket to put on the bike) also very healthy!

#4. Freezer meet is cheaper than fresh meet

#5. Buy bulk when ever you can......Tupperware is your friend

#6. Buy alternatives to cable....aka Ruku, netflix, amazon prime

#7. No need to have a house phone and a cell phone......ditch the house phone!

#8. Buy an electric car........(there are free charging sites all over the place)

#9. Do not get divorced

#10. Do not have kids, ........volunteer at the YMCA

#11. make your own wine! Some are actually really good!

#12. stay away from fast food restaurants ........you will be healthier and richer!

#13. Make your coffee at home and put it in a thermos

#14. Go for a long walk every day!

#15. Look for coupons, and use them!

#16. Do not buy any food with plastic wrapping it...........it is not as healthy and it will cost more

#17. Do a good deed every day......you will be happier and healthier

#18. Read a book every month (get from Library) It will reduce your blood pressure!

#19. Buy at Salvation Army, Goodwill, Value village etc (many other think the same, and it's a good one!)

#20. Do not get divorced!  (Oh, yes, I said that one already! But it is a big one!)

Sounds like Jan got taken to the cleaners in Divorce court.....:unsure:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

#13 is actually a good one (I drink my own coffee too).  Every single day, coffee adds up (especially if you're drinking Starbucks)

Once my daughter's EI ran out and she was complaining she had no money.........I suggested not having those Latte's everyday, and she looked at me like I was crazy, and said it

was not happening! I told her to enjoy the Macaroni, to which she said, what you are not going to lend me some money? I laughed hard!  she went and found a job! LOL

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Freshco, while dumpy and with some things that are a no (much of their meat), has some of the best prices going.  

You'll save at least 10-20% on your bill if you price check and take advantage of their flyer sales (and, as I do, get a raincheck for items in the flyer that are sold out...because when you use it you get an extra 10% off the price).

I used to do a bit more couponing....occasionally now, but there are some good ones to be had (sometimes even getting items free if you do it right).

I always turn lights out when it becomes daylight or when leaving a room.  Also do the heat thing too - keep it lower vs up (that's what sweaters and blankets are for).

Wash clothes in cold water (Stone Cold says so, that's why).

Deb gets on the phone. "That guy needs to chill out!" 

• Haha 1

Been working from home since the pandemic started, and it's been a huge money-saver. Sold the 2nd car, no gas/insurance/parking/ etc., and make nearly all or meals from home. And Starbucks is only once every couple of months as a treat, rather than an almost daily occurrence.

Other than that... If you have room, a 2nd large freezer (depending on size of family, smaller one probably fine for 1-2) can save you money over time. You can take extra advantage of fantastic food deals, particularly on meat. Rather than buying 1 or 2, you can load up. Just make sure to stay on top of what's in there.

Edited by D-Money
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

LOL, Jimmy! LOL

Maybe I just don't know any better after 40 years on a boat, drinking cold coffee, but I don't think it is that bad, especially for the price.

I hate Tim's............love Starbucks........go figure!

don't get me started on Tims. 

I'm a coffee snob. I got deep into getting a great shot at home, and haven't looked back. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

LOL, Jimmy! LOL

Maybe I just don't know any better after 40 years on a boat, drinking cold coffee, but I don't think it is that bad, especially for the price.

I hate Tim's............love Starbucks........go figure!

I hate Starbucks and Tims.  McDonalds coffee is good (although I haven't had it for awhile).

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, JM_ said:

don't get me started on Tims. 

I'm a coffee snob. I got deep into getting a great shot at home, and haven't looked back. 

Agreed. The equipment is a significant investment but doesn't take long to break even if it prevents 5 trips to the coffee shop weekly.  Converting as many ongoing expenses as possible into one time purchases is really helpful.  

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

18 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I stopped drinking alcohol... HUGE! Saving $1500.00 per year (conservative estimate at home drinking). I work within walking distance, save $800.00 (driving a very fuel efficient 4 banger)  As a single father if two, cook from scratch 6 days a week (one night per week for takeout and one night per month eating out).... teaches kids how to cook in a healthy way and you save big money. 

I'm selling my house on van island this spring.  Making great profit off it.  Rolling it into land (20 acers) in central America paid in full and lots left over for building and living off of.  Building micro hydro system... Year around free, unlimited power... Sell excess back to grid.  No mortgage and no reliance on credit!!!  Big savings and true freedom.

You need to make a thread about the move and the progress of everything you posted on here in my opinion...sounds like a great plan!

• Thanks 1

Another thing I've been doing lately (not really to save $$, but more the planet) is combining trips into one.  Rather than taking a whole bunch of little trips in the car, scheduling so I do them all at once.  Gas is ridiculously priced these days and I got used to the COVID/no driving deal where I hardly spent any money on gas.  I'm starting to really notice that expense.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

@-DLC- @JM_

There use to be a little Bistro in down town Vancouver at the bottom of the Hudson's Bay building, that I thought had a pretty good cup of coffee or Latte. I am not sure if it is still there or not, but it was pretty good!

I never go all the way "downtown" any more.  Furthest north I travel is the rink (and I park on the south side of the Cambie Bridge and walk there).

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

@DLC, what store did you get your patio set from for so cheap? Bought in late fall I assume?

Walmart.  Was in there for something else and saw the set with the price slashed.  They also had a beautiful (floor model)  sectional couch set for $199.00 (regular $1,000).  I had my vehicle and no way to get it home (or I was going to buy that for my brother - gave the other set to my daughter).  I called him to see if he could come with his truck to pick it up but he was working and they wouldn't hold it (I don't blame them).

LOL, I crammed the set I did purchase into my car and it took 3 trips to get it home.  They had to hold it because I'd already paid for it (wanted to do that with the other set too, but they caught on).

Bought end of August.  They clear that stuff out in order to move "Back to School" items in.

• Cheers 1