The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Frugal Living Thread

Gurn

Never use credit cards. Cash as often as possible. Give yourself an allowance.

Careful of monthly subscriptions. Have as few as possible.

No expensive vacations. We live in BC, best place anyway.

Dont upgrade tech until you need. I had a blackberry until last year ( 11 years)

Become vegetarian. Way cheaper.

I cut my own hair...and my wifes.

Don't eat at restaurants too often. 

Make your own coffee to go. 

Drive as little as possible and own an efficient vehicle. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Dont upgrade tech until you need. I had a blackberry until last year ( 11 years)

This is huge.

A lot of people run out to get the newest wiz bang techy things; yet will often admit the old one still does everything they need.

I'm using an I phone 4, given to me by a friend. I just needed a cell phone, not a personal data mini computer.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

Live at home and take advantage of mom and dad for as long as possible.

further to this, even if you don't pay them rent, put the money you saved away-do not spend it on other things.

Also ask your folks for tips on how to save money, they have years of experience to call on.

• Cheers 1

Freshco, while dumpy and with some things that are a no (much of their meat), has some of the best prices going.  

You'll save at least 10-20% on your bill if you price check and take advantage of their flyer sales (and, as I do, get a raincheck for items in the flyer that are sold out...because when you use it you get an extra 10% off the price).

I used to do a bit more couponing....occasionally now, but there are some good ones to be had (sometimes even getting items free if you do it right).

I always turn lights out when it becomes daylight or when leaving a room.  Also do the heat thing too - keep it lower vs up (that's what sweaters and blankets are for).

Wash clothes in cold water (Stone Cold says so, that's why).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Freshco, while dumpy and with some things that are a no (much of their meat), has some of the best prices going. 

5 bucks for 4 litre bucket of  of ice cream at Freshco- I  have seen no better price for that.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Cooking at home versus eating out.  HUGE savings and much healthier.

Prepare larger meals and freeze or have leftovers.

As I prepped for retirement I began tracking my expenses. My eating out habit was costing over $150 per month, now down to the occasional $4.20 egg McMuffin.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I order all my groceries online mostly at Walmart.  If you do this you wont buy stuff you don't need as often as those things you see on as your shopping you don't need but buy add up quick.  If you order next day delivery it's less then $5 and on top of saving me close to 2 hrs of my time I can't drive to walmart and back for $5.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

One thing I recall from uni as well is getting a group of 6 other people together to make dinners. Each person makes a dinner big enough to feed 7, and you budget the meal for $25. Get together once per week and spit it all up. You can make a lot of really good large meals for $25 and thats your weekly dinner budget. 

• Upvote 1

Haven't been driving for about 23 yrs. Sure DON'T miss it. Of course things aren't spread out in sub/ & urban Japan, as they are back home. Also really love cycling. Have learned to carry a crap-tonne, grocery order from Costco(1 hr ride). Sometimes resemble the Grinch ascending Mt Crumpet.

As above^, also buzz my hair at home(almost 3 decades now).

No smart phone - hate that shyte

1 credit card

Japan's a $ society. Hope it never changes..but I guess it'll eventually be imposed(?)

A library card(but this helped me more yrs back..seems hard to concentrate on books these dAZE)

Chess is good if one is broke(mental exercise too)

Speaking of exercise, outdoors is ideal(if poss). Hiking & cycling are a great combo

Shelve the Casanova-crap :^) find a lass/dude who thinks like you. KISS theory baby

Find an honest, creative hobby(eg: writing, guitar, language whatever) & try to apply the 10,000 hr theory

If you enjoy a drink, discipline yourself to go dry 50% of the time. No, 2 hrs on/off doesn't count!

Time & money are one & the same - try not to squander too much

• Upvote 1