The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Jan. 27, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Man, Winnipeg has really fallen off a cliff.

Most of that is a result of Connor Hellebuyck completely losing his confidence... but I think maybe it is also the fact Blake Wheeler is a year older and has really lost a step... not the same player he was a couple years ago.

Didn't help tonight that Josh Morrissey was missing... he is their best D.

Not sure they did the right thing in firing Paul Maurice.

Maurice stepped down, and to paraphrase him he felt like he could no longer get the team to perform in a way that could make them win

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

If his play continues like this and the points keep on racking up, his demands will be in the 8.5 million range. So even if we trade a lesser, we still will not be able to pay Boeser, Petey, and Bo long term. Not without either clearing OEL or Myers, which is not going to come free.

I am not saying what the answer is, just that something will have to give, which means, Boeser for prospects and picks, because we will not be able to pay anyone else anything worth, what we need to to get that RHD we need.

So, who goes? Boeser, Myers, or OEL? Just asking!

So, that brings me to my old math quiz.................

Is Miller greater than Boeser, and the assets gained by trading Miller? I do not know........Again, just asking!

God, you are over thinking. Everyone has to stop being in GM mode. Management will figure it out, just like Tampa, who us ever complaining Canuck fans talk about their circumventing of the cap.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Wanless said:

Maurice stepped down, and to paraphrase him he felt like he could no longer get the team to perform in a way that could make them win

You're right... I forgot he resigned.

That takes integrity... Maurice will have another job I am sure.

Have to wonder what is going on in the dressing room.

They used to have such a gritty tight team... all the ingredients.

Ah well... better for the Canucks.  ;)

38 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

So a playoff contender will want him but we want a top 3 D in return.....won't happen since the contender will need the top 3 D.  Trading Miller for prospects and picks is more likely and that's a gamble for us if they don't work out.  I think there are two key variables here:

1. Can they shore up the D or prospects / draft picks with another asset instead (thinking Boeser)?  

2. Can they get Miller to sign a long-term contract that's reasonable? 

I'm thinking they'll need to do #1 before #2 to avoid being cornered into a worse deal.  If they can't do either, they'll have no choice but to sell.

Yes I agree.  No playoff team is going to trade a top end player for Miller as that would be counter productive.  They would want to trade their 1st round pick (high 20's) and two prospects.  The first round pick could easily be a bust or a 3rd line winger at best.  The two prospects are just that, prospects.  They haven't proven anything at the NHL level and may or may not pan out.  

Keeping Miller is the safest route for Vancouver as you know exactly what you got and team chemistry is not compromised.  Only issue is the dollars on the new deal.  Trading Boeser is less risky than trading Miller as you could do a like for like with Boeser, as he is young enough where another team could trade a good roster player from an area of strength to get Boeser.  

• Cheers 2

51 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I hope all those screaming for JT Miller to be traded were paying attention.

Why would the Canucks trade the guy who is the consistent driver of the offense???

Miller is not a Superstar but he is a Star player and every team in the league would want him on their roster.

Maybe there are other guys the Canucks could trade if a real #1 D was made available, but not Miller.

Obviously Miller was the key to this game... with contributions from Boeser, Martin and Pettersson.

Boeser has been bashed for not putting up goals, but he is an underrated playmaker and his ability in this area was made clear this game... not to mention once again his hands in close showed why he is a special player.

And Pettersson is building momemtum... every game getting more confidence... his line was dominant all game and set the tone... and his defensive play was excellent.

Martin is cementing his place as a permanent backup to Demko... Halak is now unnecessary... Martin can deliver the same result at a cheaper price.  Canucks may want to think about dealing Halak at the deadline for defensive help... but NOT to the Oilers please.

My opinion changes everyday. Trade Miller. Don't trade Miller. Trade Miller. Don't trade Miller...

Pettersson is indeed gaining momentum. He did well at both ends of the ice and he was way more confident with the puck today.

Podz also did a good job replacing what Pearson does alongside Miller and Boeser.

But yeah, the MVP of the game was Miller, Boeser, and Martin.

I'd say drag this trade Miller thing out as late as possible and see where we are at the TDL.

If we are within reach of the playoffs or are in the playoffs, then f*ck it. Don't trade Miller, Boeser, and nobody else. Add a PK LD and maybe a depth forward at the TDL using low round draft picks.

If we are far out of the playoffs, then revisit this trade.

I am all for keeping Miller at 8 mil or under and 5 years or less but I don't know if he will sign such a deal. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes I agree.  No playoff team is going to trade a top end player for Miller as that would be counter productive.  They would want to trade their 1st round pick (high 20's) and two prospects.  The first round pick could easily be a bust or a 3rd line winger at best.  The two prospects are just that, prospects.  They haven't proven anything at the NHL level and may or may not pan out.  

Keeping Miller is the safest route for Vancouver as you know exactly what you got and team chemistry is not compromised.  Only issue is the dollars on the new deal.  Trading Boeser is less risky than trading Miller as you could do a like for like with Boeser, as he is young enough where another team could trade a good roster player from an area of strength to get Boeser.  

I don't like to say it as Boeser is a big part of the chemistry of the team and clearly is liked by everyone, but they may need to trade him to get the D they need and sign Miller.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

Question: We got Spencer Martin from Tampa Bay for future considerations.

In this case, what does that mean? Does his price go up now that he's playing so well in the NHL? When do they decide?

No basically Tampa didn't have enough contract spots, Canucks were like we could use an AHL goalie, so they took him off Tampa's hands.  You can't make a trade for nothing, so it's called future considerations instead (which means nothing).

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rabbit said:

Awesome Game!

Congrat to Martin for the 1st NHL win!

Congrat to JT for four points night with hat trick!

649 line back and shown excellent.

Motte line was full of energy.

Schenn is the best contract Benning did this off season.

649 only played a period or so together.  1 good game doesnt erase about the 50 that were abysmal.   

Hope bo and pears are back soon because our forward group is looking thin af. 

14 minutes ago, Wanless said:

It feels like their first window (with Wheeler as the leader) is closing. When they went to the WCF in 2018, Wheeler was so dominant along with Buff.

But they have young players in different age groups. The next core group led by Scheifele, Connor, Dubois, Morrissey, Pionk is probably not too hard to retool around. Hellebuyck will probably regain his form as well given time.

Connor looks like he could hit 40 goals and 90 points at one point.

7 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

Question: We got Spencer Martin from Tampa Bay for future considerations.

In this case, what does that mean? Does his price go up now that he's playing so well in the NHL? When do they decide?

As I understand it, due to the way the trading rules are structured, you're not allowed to trade a player away for 'nothing', thus "future considerations" is used instead to indicate that the player was sent in exchange for 'something', even if that something is, in actuality, nothing.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I don't like to say it as Boeser is a big part of the chemistry of the team and clearly is liked by everyone, but they may need to trade him to get the D they need and sign Miller.

Well liked doesnt really mean much.  All the guys we have our well liked.  Sutter is well liked. Boeser is 25 and already slower than slow.  And i lost track of how many times he got muscles off the puck in our own end again today.  

2 minutes ago, khay said:

It feels like their first window (with Wheeler as the leader) is closing. When they went to the WCF in 2018, Wheeler was so dominant along with Buff.

But they have young players in different age groups. The next core group led by Scheifele, Connor, Dubois, Morrissey, Pionk is probably not too hard to retool around. Hellebuyck will probably regain his form as well given time.

Connor looks like he could hit 40 goals and 90 points at one point.

They have a young core.  Wity pdl and scheif and lowry down the middle that team is built to do damage in the playoffs.  They just need to regain some defensive depth.  

2 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Well liked doesnt really mean much.  All the guys we have our well liked.  Sutter is well liked. Boeser is 25 and already slower than slow.  And i lost track of how many times he got muscles off the puck in our own end again today.  

But sutter has never lead an nhl team in scoring.  I think you only see what you want to see when it comes to Boeser.  He made two money passes that set up Miller.  Made good defensive plays and scored a goal in the dirty area. 

i see you constantly praising hoglander who is far worse in his end than Boeser is right now ( just ask the coach who has commented about this already)  and who has never scored at Boesers pace at any level of hockey… it’s kind of a head scratcher

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

649 only played a period or so together.  1 good game doesnt erase about the 50 that were abysmal.   

Hope bo and pears are back soon because our forward group is looking thin af. 

Oh Eddie, why so glum? OUR team won! Is it the fact that the Grunge era is over that hurts you? You are still making music, yes? Don’t tell me you’re a Kraken fan?

The self loathing and depression has to stop. I’m here if you need to talk? Seriously.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

They have a young core.  Wity pdl and scheif and lowry down the middle that team is built to do damage in the playoffs.  They just need to regain some defensive depth.  

Oh and by the way, I have some plaid shirts available on eBay....

just kidding man, slow down with the trolling, your motor is going to overheat.

Edited by CaptKirk888

Good strong win when we needed it and our stars finally stole a game. Bottom 6 were very average, defence was sound but obviously our top line won the game for us, namely just Miller really. 

If Spencer keeps this play up then Halak is very dispensable and that would be the smart trade to make, not Miller or Motte. We've got a good team here, let's see what they can do with a good coach for a season before blowing it up.

Still lots of ground to make up, we may need to be 6 games over .500 to make the playoffs but when Demko and Bo return, I think it's very possible. Next game against Calgary will be a big test, they've been blowing out teams lately and shutting them down offensively.