The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Jan. 27, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

18 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

They have a young core.  Wity pdl and scheif and lowry down the middle that team is built to do damage in the playoffs.  They just need to regain some defensive depth.  

Oh and by the way, not to pile it on in any sense, Eddie’s version of Hard Sun is one of my favourite remakes.

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I know I praise Martin a lot. But I like seeing someone work their tail off and chase the dream and get rewarded. 

Here's some nice numbers:

(And yes its only 3 games)

Goals against average: 1.59

Save Percentage: 0.958%

1 win, 2 OTLs, 4 points in 6 games. 

And on those 3 games he was pretty much standing on his head. 

Keep it up buddy! 

Trade halak and keep Martin up 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

With all this talk about Miller, let’s also not forget about how Pettersson has turned it around in the past few games.

Yay for Petey. More is needed on that contract, 

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

With all this talk about Miller, let’s also not forget about how Pettersson has turned it around in the past few games.

I won't be surprised if EP ends the season with about 25 goals and 60 points.

Roughly 14 goals and 22 assists in 38 games. Very doable given his current form.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Darius said:

I don’t want to see Miller traded just like I didn’t want to see Bure traded, Linden traded and even Kesler traded.

I remember the empty feeling I had watching post Bure games .. the gut wrenching feeling probably lasted two seasons.

Linden and Bure brought back players that changed the path the team took for decades. Just follow the trade tree of Bertuzzi for instance. Miller could do the same.

Here is the crux of the matter. Nobody knows what Miller is truly thinking.  Will he want to stay? Maybe, maybe not.  As a GM and Business operator the only way to remove that variable out of the situation is to move him for a mountain of assets.  

it’s like owning a stock that’s at an all time high. 

Stock can't help you win in the playoffs. Miller can.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

What a game, I'm so proud of this team and how they're working collectively to win these games. These guys are a close knit group who know they can achieve greatness together. On top of that, their skill sets and personalities compliment each other so well too.

For those who are adamant about trading Miller and enamored with collecting picks and prospects, JT Miller is the type of player you hope and pray those picks and prospects become some day. This man is a beast; scoring, killing penalties, and providing priceless leadership. Ya'll are worried that he's 28 years old? I think people need to get a grip and shut down this narrative, players like Miller don't just come along conveniently in every draft. I truly hope JR and Allvin build around what we already have. 

Edited by 13231
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, 13231 said:

What a game, I'm so proud of this team and how they're working collectively to win these games. These guys are a close knit group who know they can achieve greatness together. On top of that, their skill sets and personalities compliment each other so well too.

For those who are adamant about trading Miller and enamored with collective picks and prospects, JT Miller is the type of player you hope and pray those picks and prospects become some day. This man is a beast; scoring, killing penalties, and providing priceless leadership. Ya'll are worried that he's 28 years old? I think people need to get a grip and shut down this narrative, players like Miller don't just come along conveniently in every draft. I truly hope JR and Allvin build around what we already have. 

How do you suppose they build around what we have? Our money is spent on defense and we don’t have anything of significance in the farm system. So there is really only one way and that is to trade some core players. It’s really the only way unless we luck out on college free agents or players from Europe but that is a long shot. How else do you suppose they build around them?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I know I praise Martin a lot. But I like seeing someone work their tail off and chase the dream and get rewarded. 

Keep it up buddy! 

Do we play him in Calgary to give Demko time to get into a groove?

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Keep it up buddy! 

Martin has been incredible. Not sure if those numbers are sustainable, but he’s been great when we’ve needed him. If not for half our top six missing, I think we win some of the games we’ve lost like the game against Edmonton, I think we win that one if Miller is in, as well as Garland. 

19 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

How do you suppose they build around what we have? Our money is spent on defense and we don’t have anything of significance in the farm system. So there is really only one way and that is to trade some core players. It’s really the only way unless we luck out on college free agents or players from Europe but that is a long shot. How else do you suppose they build around them?

It’s a good question, to be fair. 

this team isn’t good enough to contend, and at the end of the day, that’s what GM’s are to do - build contenders that can contend for the Stanley Cup. We are not that team. Not today. Not next year. Maybe not even the year after that. I mean, we’re definitely not that team 2 years down the road, if management stays pat. Though a part of me is curious as to what kind of team we’d have and where we’d be in the standing had we had Bruce from the start of the season. Would we be in a playoff spot as we speak? 

The players on the current roster don’t give a rats ass about prospects, and the pipeline. They’re concerned about winning hockey games. They’re concerned about getting to the playoffs. They are concerned about winning a Championship. That’s what they all train for. That’s what they all play for. So if the team isn’t good enough to even make the playoffs this year, than obviously this team in its current version is not good enough. So what then what needs to change? Something has to be done right? Standing pat and hoping that things change next season is not a wise strategy. 

I think that’s why Miller’s name has come up. Unlike Bo, who has actually said he’s wanted to win here, I have never heard Miller say such a thing. So that’s raised some questions about Miller’s commitment to the team moving forward. It is a hard decision to make, but I think it’s one that needs to be made - trading our best player for several pieces that will help both now and the future. Those pieces that come back aren’t just draft picks, or prospects, but they are prospects that are really close to making an NHL roster. They are pieces that are on NHL rosters that are coming back. We need those pieces, and obviously our own draft picks this coming 2022 draft. 

Miller to me, makes the most sense. He’s non-committal, at a time when the team needs to know if he’s committed. I understand that Miller won’t share every detail, but Bo’s made is clear that he wants to win here. Miller hasn’t been that assertion. They’re both kind of in different places in their careers as well. Two years is not a long time, and yet it is. Miller is entering into basically the last contract he’s going to get in the NHL. Which is why this next contract that he gets is going to be the most money, and the longest. Is that a contract that the Canucks can afford to give to Miller? 

Some people on here will assert that he’s the kind of player that’ll produce well into his mid-thirties. And if he doesn’t? What does the team do with an anchor contract like that when the team is contending. How do you move an 8M, or more, contract to another team without off-setting your prospects and/or picks? 

Miller is the largest, and biggest trade chip the team can play. To me, it’s not personal, it’s business. And it’s the smart business move to make for the team now and also setting it up for the near and long term future. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

You do not need to move core players when 4/6 players of the core are already locked up in contracts. You have to understand that the group is collectively taking a step back by trading a core player when you're not getting one back in return. It's a futile situation that will end with you coming back to the same problem in a few years time when the prospects you've traded for earlier, and your current roster, is up for new contracts. And that is assuming the picks and prospects you traded for even end up being core players in the subsequent 2-3 years after the trade. 

The way people are losing their minds now about the cap and how we'll not be able to keep Miller is exactly the reaction we used to have when we had Loui, Beagle and Roussel around. People were also pretty much guaranteeing we wouldn't be able to sign both Hughes and Pettersson. A good management team will find a way to keep Miller and build around our core. They are not paid the big bucks to make simpleton moves and trading the team's leading scorer and leader away because he's up for a new contract at age 28. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Man, Winnipeg has really fallen off a cliff.

Most of that is a result of Connor Hellebuyck completely losing his confidence... but I think maybe it is also the fact Blake Wheeler is a year older and has really lost a step... not the same player he was a couple years ago.

Didn't help tonight that Josh Morrissey was missing... he is their best D.

Not sure they did the right thing in firing Paul Maurice.

Wheeler is an almost perfect example of what we'll likely get if we extend Miller. Heart-and-soul guy, great captain on a Canadian team. He really bucked the standard aging curves by having a then-career season at 27, but then even got better and had his best seasons at over PPG seasons at ages 31 and 32, with 91 points each year.

But father time never loses. Wheeler still gets decent point totals, but his overall game has regressed considerably over the past few years, and Winnipeg is stuck with his $8.25M cap hit for another 2.5 years.

Miller is younger than Wheeler when he got his contract, but he almost certainly won't be looking for a 5-year deal like Blake was. If we extend Miller, we might get a couple of years at him still playing like he has. But a few years in, we'll be right where Winnipeg is with Wheeler. I suspect he'll get close to the same cap hit ($8.25M), and his contract will end at about the same age (37).

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

God, you are over thinking. Everyone has to stop being in GM mode. Management will figure it out, just like Tampa, who us ever complaining Canuck fans talk about their circumventing of the cap.

There are so many variables in play that making a trade because your worried about what might happen in a year and half is nuts imo.

I really don't get the panic, Brock contract will be more than offset by the Lou recapture penalty the 2 million cap increase can be used towards JT. So let's say JT and Horvat get a combined raise of 6 million which is on the highline imo, with the cap increase that leaves about 4 million.

This list all expire or will have 1 year left.

Dickinson, 

Myers,

Hamonic

Pearson.

I doubt Hamonic is re-signed and hopefully Woo is ready for bottom pair minutes.

Hopefully a guy like Klimovich pans out and is ready allowing one of the forwards to be moved basically freeing up the space needed including the 2 elc contracts replacing them.

Going one step further Myers might be an option to move with an attached pick or bought out to create some flexibility if there's a target available to upgrade.

Plus both Gary and Daley have both went on record saying the cap will see a significant jump 2023-2024

All those guys are far easier to replace over JT.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

You really need to delve into what the situation will look like in the summer of 2023.

My previous post shows several options that are completely doable and keep the core together even with our top 3 D making 20 million our top 9 is in pretty good shape with Petey being the highest paid. This is a good hockey team and not to steal a line from Holland but the answers are in the room.

The biggest bump this team can get is not from a trade but simply our best players continuing get back to the level they are capable of plus the natural progression as they enter their prime.

Complaining about a D group that is the best defensive team 5on5 and have been all year seems odd, when our d sucked but put up points people complained, now they go from 31st for 5on5 GA and 12th best all situations compared to 31st and people complain about that and this is a group that literally hasn't been healthy since day 1.

Picking out Quinn who has a plus 35 goal differential is easy but Myers and OEL are much improved from last season .

And I know Demko has been good but the Rangers, bolts and Canes all have goalies with far better stats yet all 3 teams have allowed more goals 5on5.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1