The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Islanders at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 09, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

15 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I feel like that’s the last and most important lesson for this team.

They need to start setting the pace and taking it to the other team. Don’t sit back and let the game come to them. They did way too much of that under Green.

A strong first sets the tone for the rest of the game. When they start the way they did against the Isles they look like the worst team in the league.

When they play like they did in the second they look like an elite team. Need to start right out of the gate like that.

• Cheers 3

So, JD back to centering a line?(as per BB's presser)..Interesting, guess flanked by Tanner & CG. Then you got the younger 'grit' line.

I like that Bruce adjusts his lines according to what we're facing

Miller - Bo - Boeser

Hoglander - EP - Podz

Pearson - JD - Garland

Motte - Lammikko - Chiasson

edit: Also guess they wanna keep that top line away from the speed/skill of Matthews, Marner & Nylander?

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

On 2/9/2022 at 11:16 PM, J-23 said:

Maybe some of you guys turned it off after the 1st but in the 2nd and 3rd we were playing some of our best hockey.

Game is 60 not 40. It's been done to many times. Islanders also took their foot of the gas with such a huge lead then they even got another one. Nice to try and look at the positives but that game just sucked. Maybe on Saturday they'll play some their best hockey for 60 but the Leafs just dropped one to the Flames on Thursday so we'll see 2 peeved off teams. Apparently Marky played lights out but we got Demko!.. Could go either way.... Go Canucks Go!!

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Redline said:

Game is 60 not 40. It's been done to many times. Islanders also took their foot of the gas with such a huge lead then they even got another one. Nice to try and look at the positives but that game just sucked. Maybe on Saturday they'll play some their best hockey for 60 but the Leafs just dropped one to the Flames on Thursday so we'll see 2 peeved off teams. Apparently Marky played lights out but we got Demko!.. Could go either way.... Go Canucks Go!!

Have a bad period you have a bad period. A below average team isn’t going to play 60 minutes a night on a consistent level.

3 hours ago, J-23 said:

Have a bad period you have a bad period. A below average team isn’t going to play 60 minutes a night on a consistent level.

I guess it all depends on how we view this team. 

You might see it as a below average team so 40 min rather than a full 60 sometimes is expected and understood. 

I might see it as an above average team (playoff calibre) under BB so I see lack of consistency as a disappointment. 

On 2/10/2022 at 4:22 PM, gurn said:

The team would often start poorly under Green

The team often starts poorly under B.B.

Maybe the team is the problem and not the coach?

Something was wrong, and it still remains wrong.

Is it fitness?

A lack of a certain type of player/attitude?

Too small?

Play too small?

Too many players waiting to see how others will play before deciding to get in the game?

something was and something is, still wrong.

Except it was always TGs fault when the team started slow. BB's interview post game was great. He placed the responsibility for being prepared squarely at the players feet. When TG did that he was throwing the players under the bus and was a terrible human being... I'm certainly not saying that TG shouldn't have been fired, but he wasn't the joke of a coach that some say he was. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

I guess it all depends on how we view this team. 

You might see it as a below average team so 40 min rather than a full 60 sometimes is expected and understood. 

I might see it as an above average team (playoff calibre) under BB so I see lack of consistency as a disappointment. 

Maybe so.

5 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

Except it was always TGs fault when the team started slow. BB's interview post game was great. He placed the responsibility for being prepared squarely at the players feet. When TG did that he was throwing the players under the bus and was a terrible human being... I'm certainly not saying that TG shouldn't have been fired, but he wasn't the joke of a coach that some say he was. 

TG has never coached a roster beyond .500 hockey, over a span of five seasons. It doesn't matter what the roster is; he's a joke of a coach.

Just to put this into perspective, the Canucks only had 8 wins when TG got canned this entire season. Using the same roster, BB matched this number in a week.

Starting slow, which is a TG trademark btw, is the reason why this team is still catching up in the standings. This team lost so much under TG that the season looks like it's almost impossible to recover from it.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

TG has never coached a roster beyond .500 hockey, over a span of five seasons. It doesn't matter what the roster is; he's a joke of a coach.

Just to put this into perspective, the Canucks only had 8 wins when TG got canned this entire season. Using the same roster, BB matched this number in a week.

Starting slow, which is a TG trademark btw, is the reason why this team is still catching up in the standings. This team lost so much under TG that the season looks like it's almost impossible to recover from it.

I wasn't talking about the slow start to the season, I was talking about their slow start to many games. TG lost the room, and he certainly was struggling and should have been fired at least 10 games sooner than he was so yes it was his fault they are in such a hole but it was also management's fault for not pulling the trigger sooner.

The team wasn't as bad as they were playing under TG, but they're also not as good as the hot streak they started on with BB. I would say that the team we see at the end of the season will be somewhere between the TG team at the time of his ouster and the BB team after his first 10 games or so which will probably be a playoff bubble team. 

1 hour ago, AC30 said:

What makes you think he doesn’t wanna stay hereWhat makes you think he doesn’t wanna stay here

UFA.

I don't know if he wants to stay or not. But I do know what UFA offers to the players, especially the first line player like Miller.

I would want to hit the market to see what I'm worth and choose from the best available option.

The only way to prevent this from happening is to overpay him.

But overpaying Miller would not be a smart thing to do.