The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Pavel Zacha

16 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Bigger, Stronger? Not really. Zacha is only 2cm taller and 2lb heavier. Virtually no difference in size at all. Couple that with the fact that Zacha does not really use his size (just like Boeser), then there is no difference with regard to size and strength.

A lot less money? Yes but both are RFA next season. Boeser has a QO of $7m but may well sign a long term deal in VAN that is at a lower cap hit than this (it has been reported that he wants to stay and he will be aware of the cap constraints). Zacha will be looking at about $2.75-3.0m for his next contract.

That's a good saving, but what about production? Zacha averages 0.46 pt/gp and Boeser averages 0.8 pts/gp. Should we really be trading away someone that can score for someone that is cheaper with much lower production? That is basically Pearson-level production. Do we need another $2.5-3.5m 3LW with Pearson and Dickinson on the roster?

What role would Zacha have in VAN? The only reason I can see to downgrade from Boeser to a player like Zacha is if he was a decent 3C. But unfortunately Zacha's defensive game is severely lacking. He is not the 3C we want. He is more effective as a winger and more effective given plenty of oZ starts.

Please do not trade Boeser (or Garland) for this guy!!!

I don’t see Boeser playing “big” or “strong” like this:

Boeser, for what it’s worth plays perimeter.

Like I said before,.  I can not see us keeping Boeser .. 7m qualifying is going to take to much time and resources to settle.

best to use this player for something else reasonable monetarily, with just as much potential.

After all, it’s Boesers potential that’s in question for 7m

Edited by SilentSam
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

We would definitely save on cap.  Zacha makes half as much, because he’s half the player.  Boeser for Zacha would require the Devils add A LOT. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We would definitely save on cap.  Zacha makes half as much, because he’s half the player.  Boeser for Zacha would require the Devils add A LOT. 

I agree Alf, the add would have to come from NJ.

But Zacha’s potential is intriguing, perhaps that’s why it’s reported of our interest.

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Like I said before,.  I can not see us keeping Boeser .. 7m qualifying is going to take to much time and resources to settle.

best to use this player for something else reasonable monetarily, with just as much potential.

After all, it’s Boesers potential that’s in question for 7m

JV also had his flash of brilliance from time to time and also oozed potential.  But nothing else came from it.  And I liked JV as a player (not his off ice transgressions) and accepted that he was just a 3rd line player.  

Just like back in the day with Steve Bernier and David Booth.  Nothing but 3rd liners.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

JV also had his flash of brilliance from time to time and also oozed potential.  But nothing else came from it.  And I liked JV as a player (not his off ice transgressions) and accepted that he was just a 3rd line player.  

Just like back in the day with Steve Bernier and David Booth.  Nothing but 3rd liners.

Yeahhh..  Jake had issues ,  still does it seems..  perhaps for the rest of his life.

35 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Zacha

.18 goals per game

.46 points per game

Minus 64

Boeser 

.38 goals per game

.80 points per game

Minus 12

Barack Obama Mic Drop GIF

Sure if your going one for one in a trade I get your drift.

But I don’t think you even waste time with Boesers expectations of 7m to qualify..

i see your career stat comparisons,. I generally like to look at the last season played.

correct me if I’m wrong but I beleive Zacha was .7 points per game last season,.

And not near the opportunities Boeser has had.

like I said, there is obviously a reason Rutherford’s scouts have been interested in Zacha as reported.

on the other hand for us, I think it hard to beleive we don’t move in the least one of Horvat, Boeser, Miller ..  I think one will move to subsidize the extra money to require the other 2 to stay.

Edited by SilentSam

1 minute ago, Darius said:

We have big holes in the d, no matter how much people try and pump up guys like Myers and Poolman.  So why are we taking about trading a forward for a forward? 

No,  names like Shakir Mukhamadulin and Kevin Bahl have been used to attach to a move for Zacha in this thread.

it’s our forwards that really have any value to move.

4 minutes ago, Darius said:

We have big holes in the d, no matter how much people try and pump up guys like Myers and Poolman.  So why are we taking about trading a forward for a forward? 

Suggested trading a higher priced forward for a lesser forward and a D prospect.  Canucks get younger pieces and cap space.

But for me, it needs to be a top tier D prospect cuz Zacha doesn’t move the needle imo.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I agree Alf, the add would have to come from NJ.

But Zacha’s potential is intriguing, perhaps that’s why it’s reported of our interest.

Zacha is kinda where Miller was at the same age.  Could become a dominant player.  

8 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

i see your career stat comparisons,. I generally like to look at the last season played. correct me if I’m wrong but I beleive Zacha was .7 points per game last season,.

And not near the opportunities Boeser has had.

Yeah last year was a good one. Boeser had a .88 points per game.

I don't get this "if Zacha had more opportunity" rhetoric. The guy is 3rd in ice time amongst forwards on his team and is getting 61% O-zone starts. He's had ample opportunity.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Zacha is an RFA and NJ would rather not give him a QO based on them wanting to trade him, before season's end. Canucks are not ready - would preferably, hope they wait and focus on this deep draft.

How do feel about Boeser being in that same RFA situation with a qualifying offer being at 7.5m?

Perhaps the Canucks Management feels the same?

Edited by SilentSam

9 minutes ago, BPA said:

Suggested trading a higher priced forward for a lesser forward and a D prospect.  Canucks get younger pieces and cap space.

But for me, it needs to be a top tier D prospect cuz Zacha doesn’t move the needle imo.

Agree with you. If any of Miller, garland, Boeser go the d core better be significantly improved.

Just now, coryberg said:

Yeah last year was a good one. Boeser had a .88 points per game.

I don't get this "if Zacha had more opportunity" rhetoric. The guy is 3rd in ice time amongst forwards on his team and is getting 61% O-zone starts. He's had ample opportunity.

So given both Zacha and Boeser are RFAs seeking qualified offers of

3m Zacha

7.5m Boeser (capfriendly)

are you saying we should qualify Boeser?

This thread is about interest reported in Zacha by the Canucks,. 
we need to clear capspace for a D man.. 

I see Boeser as a key hole for that.

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

How do feel about Boeser being in that same RFA situation with a qualifying offer being at 7m?

Perhaps the Canucks Management feels the same?

I think what u are missing Sam is that Boeser might agree to sign for less cap hit that his QO.  He doesn’t strike me a as an unreasonable dude.. if he has a mediocre season and he actually wants to stay here he might be cheaper than you think.  

zacha seems to be the target of a lot of criticism in NJ.  Lazy, not engaged.. it seems like a common sentiment on NJ hockey forums,

while Brock is criticized too the proof is in the pudding over the long term.  BB had produced way more. Was the teams leading scorer last year.  I think this year is an off year just like Bo, Petey are having. 

But if he were to be traded a good d man better be coming back .. I don’t want a Bernier or Pyatt in return 

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

I think what u are missing Sam is that Boeser might agree to sign for less cap hit that his QO.  He doesn’t strike me a as an unreasonable dude.. if he has a mediocre season and he actually wants to stay here he might be cheaper than you think.  

zacha seems to be the target of a lot of criticism in NJ.  Lazy, not engaged.. it seems like a common sentiment on NJ hockey forums,

while Brock is criticized too the proof is in the pudding over the long term.  BB had produced way more. Was the teams leading scorer last year.  I think this year is an off year just like Bo, Petey are having. 

But if he were to be traded a good d man better be coming back .. I don’t want a Bernier or Pyatt in return 

I do understand that possibility exists,.  But if Boeser moves I think it’s because our Management is trying to be ahead of the game and save time in all situations.

The reality is 7.5m

conversations through the Summer, into Camp, then arbitration are as possible, if not more possible than Moving Boeser now for 2 really good pieces in the least.

I think the fact that Zacha is known to be of interest, has us all looking at the fullest potential / pieces in a trade for him.

it also should be noted we have scouts now from JR’s realm that are fully acquainted with the East and have watched Zacha.

I don’t see Zacha one for one in a move.

But their is some real potential in their high picked prospects on D as well.

Bahl was 55th overall in 2018 (2nd rnd)

and Mukhamadulin was 20th overall in 2020.

I don’t see those two as Pyatts or Berniers.

Zacha (3m QA) might comfortably replace Boeser (7.5m QA)

and leave 3.5m on the table to deal with Horvat and Miller.

Hopeful we can re-sign/ extend with them too this Summer.