The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Pavel Zacha

48 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'd say so... if not, at least an equal... for a lot less in terms of cap hit.

Devils have 7m+ in capspace,  if they think Zacha is a lesser player than Boeser, 

id do :

Boeser  ( rids us of that potential 7m qualifying offer)

for Zacha and Shakir M.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

He was on a 55 point pace last year and is struggling this year a bit, but isn't that far off garland and boeser, so I wouldn't say he can't get it together.

As has been said, it wouldnt be one for one, it would be zacha plus something significant most likeky

There is a couple good posts between these threads that talk about his point totals being inflated. I'm not going to get into it too much, because like I made very clear before, I don't watch Zacha. What the devils fans were saying is he had his goals inflated pretty good against some crappy goaltending last year, hence why he might actually have some perceived value around the league right now.

Then comparing that to Boeser who we knows goal totals are way down because of a far below average shooting average, I just don't think think these players are comparable at all. The thing that I really don't like is the frequency of their fans calling him lazy and disinterested. It's not one or two chumps, it's every 2 or 3 posts. 

Again I have no inside information, I don't have a strong read on Zacha at all. But I bet the NJ fans do. I would trust 90% of CDCs assessment on Canucks players over the majority of fans in the NHL because we actually see the guys play. That's why the Rangers fans criminal under rate how incredible Miller has been the last few years, they don't see him. My opinion on this guy is definitely being more strongly influenced from their fans, then his point totals.

Based off what the majority of NJ fans are saying, this guy is no where close to a Boeser replacement.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Bigger , Stronger, more versatility, for a lot less money.

A trade of Boeser for Zacha could leave more money behind for other interests.

I’m sure Rutherford’s other side kicks from Pittsburgh have seen a lot of this player, and that is why he is in the conversation.

If it’s a probability, I don’t think you sit on this opportunity, because someone else will see it.

049CFD86-CD47-4B00-9868-8B7CBE9094DF.jpeg

021C74AD-AA51-4A1C-8246-2527DA6B0860.jpeg

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’m sure Rutherford’s other side kicks from Pittsburgh have seen a lot of this player, and that is why he is in the conversation.

If it’s a probability, I don’t think you sit on this opportunity, because someone else will see it.

Is he faster? Does he use his size?  If so, then he could be a good addition.

I don't think they trade Boeser for Zacha though, maybe Garland?

59 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

He's probably about the same speed (NJ fans often refer to him not skating hard enough), and he doesn't use his size at all. I implore you to read some of the comments from the NJ fans I posted a few posts back. Anyone trying to replace Boeser with Zacha is just stats watching (which is explained by their fans could be slightly inflated). IMO, this guy is more akin to a Pearson replacement with possible upside.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

He's probably about the same speed, and he doesn't use his size at all. I implore you to read some of the comments from the NJ fans I posted a few posts back. Anyone trying to replace Boeser with Zacha is just stats watching (which is explained by theirs fans to be inflated)

Gotta be honest, I don't know much about him. 

Similar to DeBrusk? (but a C)

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think this is more about money/ value than Player.  Garland too, is great value.… 

but that 7m qualifying offer for Boeser is a stinger..  it could delay a lot of time when the team needs to have its roster settled,  and perhaps be adding more value.

he is a great skater,. Smooth, strong and versatile .  . His left to right movement is quite exceptional in my opinion.

Not shy to carrying the puck.

Boeser on the other hand goes to his regular “button hook” to the boards move, or waits for the perfect pass high circle.

I certainly think this player has not hit his ceiling, and given the same opportunities as Boeser, could easily be better.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Gotta be honest, I don't know much about him. 

Similar to DeBrusk? (but a C)

Honestly yeah, that sounds like a fair comparison. Like I have said a few times in this thread, I think one of the best ways to learn about a player is listen to what his teams fans think of him. They actually watch all his games are invested in the guys like we are with our players. My post on the last page gave me a pretty clear idea.

Middle 9 with some possible untapped potential. Big frame, almost never uses it. Very inconsistent and often looks lazy and disinterested. They tried to teach him to PK, didn't really work. Can play C, but is better on the wing. Sounds like he's checked out, maybe a change will do him good. NJ fans are done with him and hope he can garner a 2nd round pick because they think his value will only drop.

This all being said! It's easy for a fan base to become bitter against a top pick, think of us with Jake Virtanen. But, in all fairness the majority of the critcism against Jake was  pretty accurate. This guy honestly sounds a lot like a slightly better version of Jake.

Edited by Shayster007

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Zacha would look great on this team,  and he falls into JR’s comments about getting bigger and faster.

Great Skater, positions well, strong on boards with really good skills, shot, and release.

im putting his goal hilights from last season up for those who haven't seen it.

My opinion is he could be an upgrade from Boeser given the same opportunities Boeser has.….  perhaps that’s the mindset behind the Canucks interest given Boeser has a 7m qualifying offer.

Why even deal with that possibly going to arbitration and Deal Boeser elsewhere for a good pick or more.

I found this video appealing 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

I found this video appealing 

Yes,   Kid has a full tool box,.  
what I find is players like this when given a fresh, and potentially better situation perform so much better.

I realize Zacha is not a rookie,.  But he skates a bit like a young Kucherov.

just for reference on skating comparisons since you’ve watched the other videos I posted:

Edited by SilentSam

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Bigger, Stronger? Not really. Zacha is only 2cm taller and 2lb heavier. Virtually no difference in size at all. Couple that with the fact that Zacha does not really use his size (just like Boeser), then there is no difference with regard to size and strength.

A lot less money? Yes but both are RFA next season. Boeser has a QO of $7m but may well sign a long term deal in VAN that is at a lower cap hit than this (it has been reported that he wants to stay and he will be aware of the cap constraints). Zacha will be looking at about $2.75-3.0m for his next contract.

That's a good saving, but what about production? Zacha averages 0.46 pt/gp and Boeser averages 0.8 pts/gp. Should we really be trading away someone that can score for someone that is cheaper with much lower production? That is basically Pearson-level production. Do we need another $2.5-3.5m 3LW with Pearson and Dickinson on the roster?

What role would Zacha have in VAN? The only reason I can see to downgrade from Boeser to a player like Zacha is if he was a decent 3C. But unfortunately Zacha's defensive game is severely lacking. He is not the 3C we want. He is more effective as a winger and more effective given plenty of oZ starts.

Please do not trade Boeser (or Garland) for this guy!!!

• Cheers 2

Just now, BPA said:

If trading Boeser for Zacha, NJ definitely needs to add more.  Cuz Boeser is a 20g 55pt player vs Zacha 10g 30pt player.

They need to add their first, wonder how open their gm is if he thinks they can get a top 6 winger. They have some decent looking prospects too.

6 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Bigger, Stronger? Not really. Zacha is only 2cm taller and 2lb heavier. Virtually no difference in size at all. Couple that with the fact that Zacha does not really use his size (just like Boeser), then there is no difference with regard to size and strength.

A lot less money? Yes but both are RFA next season. Boeser has a QO of $7m but may well sign a long term deal in VAN that is at a lower cap hit than this (it has been reported that he wants to stay and he will be aware of the cap constraints). Zacha will be looking at about $2.75-3.0m for his next contract.

That's a good saving, but what about production? Zacha averages 0.46 pt/gp and Boeser averages 0.8 pts/gp. Should we really be trading away someone that can score for someone that is cheaper with much lower production? That is basically Pearson-level production. Do we need another $2.5-3.5m 3LW with Pearson and Dickinson on the roster?

What role would Zacha have in VAN? The only reason I can see to downgrade from Boeser to a player like Zacha is if he was a decent 3C. But unfortunately Zacha's defensive game is severely lacking. He is not the 3C we want. He is more effective as a winger and more effective given plenty of oZ starts.

Please do not trade Boeser (or Garland) for this guy!!!

Amen. I actually think he could be an interesting option for 3C though, it sounds like he has some offensive flair. Wonder where the vision is heading for this team. We are so used to checking 3rd lines that it just seems natural. Wonder if they are thinking about trying to roll 3 attacking lines. We currently have the wingers to do so (pre trading wingers).

If we trade for this guy, I really hope he has some untapped potential. Maybe fresh start lights a fire under his ass.

Maybe a change of scenery could be huge for him like a Duclair in Florida. Similar production, similar age if Zacha gets traded now. JR likes his reclamation projects, might be why we are targeting Zacha.

Edited by Shayster007

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

They need to add their first, wonder how open their gm is if he thinks they can get a top 6 winger. They have some decent looking prospects too.

My problem is that Boeser is a bonifide top 6 winger and Zacha looks to be like a JV clone. Big, fast, but nothing more than a 30pt 3rd line winger.

The prospects have to top tier to make it worthwhile to trade Boeser.  The same if it’s Garland.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

My problem is that Boeser is a bonifide top 6 winger and Zacha looks to be like a JV clone. Big, fast, but nothing more than a 30pt 3rd line winger.

The prospects have to top tier to make it worthwhile to trade Boeser.  The same if it’s Garland.

Oh I'm totally with you. I think it's insane some people earlier were considering a 1 for 1. I get strong Jake vibes, have said it numerous times. I'd honestly think a 2/3 rounder would be fair value. Garland is a 1st+ minimum to me, Boeser more. 

Edited by Shayster007