The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Black Skate Returns!

Rate this topic

Roberts

Black Skate Jersey to return!  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, morgo said:

Way to prove that your opinion on sports aesthetics is irrelevant.  Next you'll be praising Wild Wing and Flying V...

The entire thing is subjective.   Part of the dislike has a lot to about been branded by a US corporation.   And i don't give one lick about the promo videos otherwise.   Ownership let our team get branded.   At least Quin didn't let us get moved.   And those first jerseys were worse then the flying V (aside from the black had nothing to do with our history).    WCE era ... ugh. Terrible.    Why purple? 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, morgo said:

Way to prove that your opinion on sports aesthetics is irrelevant.  Next you'll be praising Wild Wing and Flying V...

The first time I saw that jersey, I was ashamed for the ex-athletes who had to wear that.

I kind of feel bad for the Kraken as well… pastel colours and hockey really don’t go too well together.

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

The first time I saw that jersey, I was ashamed for the ex-athletes who had to wear that.

I kind of feel bad for the Kraken as well… pastel colours and hockey really don’t go too well together.

Well i guess that means you weren't around back then.   

The old hockey skate jersey is sick...let's hope they bring it back!! 

I used to remember how a lot of people back then was saying its an ugly jersey...but old style fashion always comes back hard when it is a classic look. 

Edited by RolexSub
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Me_ said:

Something about black jerseys is inherently intimidating even before the game has started:

7AF1103D-AFFB-4C6A-8DB5-F0EE8DBCD2AA.jpeg

27EED249-44C3-401C-BC2B-F2B34D242E6E.jpeg

217B6E58-725B-4237-AB8D-31225C7D288A.jpeg

3F25A5D8-3187-42E7-8C90-CB921174D26D.jpeg

CFDC8050-F63B-404C-8C52-F4E2076A88FB.jpeg

75FBCD4F-02F1-4331-BB02-BC042DB25574.webp

71837554-66CE-4606-AEFD-9F0EA353143C.jpeg

E1DDC59B-EA39-41BC-8AB8-3E9962E4BCA7.jpeg

B1314CD2-F030-449E-9B66-F542D6440C10.jpeg

45CF13C9-4CBE-4646-9765-7E6788791E17.jpeg

12C197FA-33C5-4ED5-9610-D46809546474.jpeg

3509F3D6-7087-4DED-82FC-737772DB06D3.jpeg

279DE48A-4807-4E83-B761-D7166540DA45.jpeg

C05BC415-4773-4477-9877-5C28AD47C102.png

36151E42-507C-48FD-B2BA-7C89B4044090.jpeg

34BA8F82-1364-4D05-9BE0-1C54382D7DD4.jpeg

At least Eagle got to wear them ... i'm truly hoping that ownership and management make this our third jersey.  A lot of folks will probably finally shut up about it, including me lol.   Me as in me not your Me ha ha ha!   That would do justice to a lot of fans that identify with it, and give the new fans, and ones that probably are still thinking what is all the fuss about that were too small back then to remember.    I'd also like to see them in their Whites.    Because that was their home uniform, and as mentioned earlier they wore those in a time that TV's were small and not high definition .... small for some of us anyways, and it wasn't easy to see their numbers on a tiny TV that had VCR definition at best in their away/blacks.     And more then anything, white was our home jersey back then.   The black ones are absolutely the bomb,  but would be cool to see the White ones taken out for special occasions as well.    Also like to see them in the playoffs.   That's when our players back then wore them best.   Making them our third and playing them as often as we can would just be amazing. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

19 hours ago, IBatch said:

The entire thing is subjective.   Part of the dislike has a lot to about been branded by a US corporation.   And i don't give one lick about the promo videos otherwise.   Ownership let our team get branded.   At least Quin didn't let us get moved.   And those first jerseys were worse then the flying V (aside from the black had nothing to do with our history).    WCE era ... ugh. Terrible.    Why purple? 

I hated the WCE unis, mostly because they were such a drastic change but about 2 years ago I  was watching an episode of HIMYM where Robin went "all Canadian" while wearing the dark version and  it was like seeing it for the first time. I actually think with the salmon red and that dark navy and silver represent our province quite well.

I hope the new reverse retros coming in November  pull from that Era if in fact the black skate will be our 3rd going forward.

On 2/14/2022 at 12:43 AM, Tiger-Hearted said:

Both the Skate colours and our current BC colours are great. Why not just change the blue from royal to navy? Navy blue and kelly green look awesome together.

No enough it's time for a more modern edgy agressive youtful look.

No more "Vancouver" in big letters or stick in rink or  Johnny Canuck or whale please.

On 2/14/2022 at 12:34 AM, canuck73_3 said:

Ffs the colour of the jersey isn’t why the team is soft as baby s***. 

These are fine as an alternate imo but that is it for me. 

Players love them yes including your captain Bo Horvat who has admitted they look more rougher in them and yes the jersey plays a part in the mental intimidation department. 

Any team including the Ducks, Sharks, Kings, or Lightning that goes all black looks more badass that is a fact.

Look in the NFL when the Eagles wear their all blacks combo for big prime time games.

The Ravens and the Raiders have always had a image of tough physical scrappy teams thanks to their sick black unis.

The players absolutely love them. I think they should bring the skate back as the primary jersey and have the blue and green as alternate or even better leave the blue and green for the minor league team.

• Vintage 1

On 2/14/2022 at 12:48 AM, Tiger-Hearted said:

For away games, I would love seeing this:

Tanti_Tony500.jpg.cf.jpg

These are beautiful... as an alternate as well.

Just simply bring back the skate black home and white on the road. Yellow home for special occasions like Diwali Night and Lunar New Year.

Get rid of the blue and green leave it for Abby...

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

These are beautiful... as an alternate as well.

Just simply bring back the skate black home and white on the road. Yellow home for special occasions like Diwali Night and Lunar New Year.

Get rid of the blue and green leave it for Abby...

I LOVE the black, red and yellow-gold. However, we can't keep leapfrogging back and forth between colour schemes. 

I would actually love to have the green jersey/blue helmet-pants combo like Abby's. No NHL team has that look and the Canucks can own it outright. 

• Cheers 1

On 2/15/2022 at 2:49 PM, Chip Kelly said:

No enough it's time for a more modern edgy agressive youtful look.

No more "Vancouver" in big letters or stick in rink or  Johnny Canuck or whale please.

Players love them yes including your captain Bo Horvat who has admitted they look more rougher in them and yes the jersey plays a part in the mental intimidation department. 

Any team including the Ducks, Sharks, Kings, or Lightning that goes all black looks more badass that is a fact.

Look in the NFL when the Eagles wear their all blacks combo for big prime time games.

The Ravens and the Raiders have always had a image of tough physical scrappy teams thanks to their sick black unis.

The players absolutely love them. I think they should bring the skate back as the primary jersey and have the blue and green as alternate or even better leave the blue and green for the minor league team.

Never bought into the black narrative, the Kings were doormats-middle of the pack through most of the black/silver, black/silver/purple era even with Gretzky until the rebrand and have been a middling team since. 

The Raiders have been a shell of their 70’s selves for years. The Ducks haven’t been an intimidating team for the last few years. 

You’re confusing success and image. Nassau Coliseum was a daunting building to visit in the 80’s with blue and orange, philly in the 70’s and 80’s even in the orange and white years before adding the tiny black stripes.

Florida now with Red/Gold/White. I played over a decade of lacrosse and was never intimidated by the teams in black. My teams colours were Green/white/black trim and then grey/blue/white trim fwiw. 

The black intimidation jersey is a pr myth wadr. 

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

I LOVE the black, red and yellow-gold. However, we can't keep leapfrogging back and forth between colour schemes. 

I would actually love to have the green jersey/blue helmet-pants combo like Abby's. No NHL team has that look and the Canucks can own it outright. 

Hmm don't Minny or Dallas come to mind in the greens?

12 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Minnesota wears all dark green. Dallas wears green jerseys with black helmets & pants. The Canucks would wear green jerseys with blue helmets and pants.

No thanks.   To me the North Stars/Dallas and MIN own the Green (NJ a little too)   It's too bad we gave up on our true colours...Black gold and red that is.   Sure our original ones i suppose we finally got back to them after a disaster of a WCE change.    Just think, if we never went there we'd still own the black...

Edited by IBatch