The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What If... A Look Back to Pre-Covid...

Rate this topic

HKSR

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

And yet the downplaying of his failures should be mentioned in the same breath of his successes. There is SO MUCH of history that is glossed out, especially with respect to his drafting. For a team like the Canucks that hadn't drafted that well to begin with, failing to draft minus Horvat and Hodgson (both of whom were high first round picks) is a ticking timer.

In the end, there was no depth. That is all that matters. You keep bringing up the cup that almost came, but you ignore the failures involved with the decisions to gamble.

Gillis was no safe gambler either.

And you talk about me obsessing... ::D

2 hours ago, Vancan2021 said:

What if we never traded Cam Neely for a bag of pucks?  What if we never traded a bag of pucks for Marcus Naslund? What if the world really is flat? Lots of what ifs out there. Unfortunately the only certain is Canucks are not making he playoffs once again, and our once thought of up and coming cup contending "rebuilt" team was exposed and were back to our same old, same old. One more certain... Our acceptance of decades with mederocacey. Maybe next year....

This is outrageous.  The Canucks are VERY much in the playoff race at this time. Are you trolling? Had a bad day? Sick with COVID? What?

Edited by CanucksFan8353

What I can conclude is that there is a lot of hate and anger out there with some Canucks fans.  Enough that they can't even logically take a deeper look and realize we probably, at minimum, would not be looking at finding a RHD for Hughes right now if if weren't for covid.  We probably also wouldn't be scrambling for cap space to re-sign Miller either.

Just shows how emotional and reactive this fanbase is lol

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Rather than just reply with the usual "DUH WHAT IF THIS WAS A COOL REPLY, I'D BE SO COOL!!!!11!!"  ...I'd honestly like to know what you guys think would have happened if covid didn't occur, and the cap did go up by $4 to $5M, right when we were to look at extending a guy like Tanev or Toffoli?  Followed up by solid cap increases year after year into the future. 

i provided a scenario with reasonable facts and numbers to back it up... let's see what you've got.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Brilliant post. Really clear thinking and writing. I enjoyed it. Thanks.

Thanks.  Seems you're the only one that thinks so. 

I think people are misconstruing this thread as more than a "What if covid didn't happen" thread.  I simply identified what could have happened if Covid didn't happen.  Meanwhile people are talking about what if Neely wasn't traded?  LOL, talk about missing the point.

18 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Personally feel it's a half-full/empty, subjective thing. Painting with broad strokes, a lot of positive has occurred too. If we were all F***ing potters, JB sourced us a sh*t-tonne of clay to work with. Ok, he blew up the kiln & we got thrown off that property..but hey, we pick up & start over from a new point.

Like the Miller trade, for example. We lose a 1st - but how much joy has watching this guy's pt-a-gm few yrs brought this fanbase?

Miller ENSURED our kids got a PO-taste. Now we may recycle him into a second tonne of top-notch clay(picks, youth, etc...) to mold.

Or Marky's Vegas-injury? Appeared lousy luck at the time, didn't it? If that didn't happen, TD is gone today(due to expansion, he'd have been moved). He set our world on fire, 18 mos back - was so bloody epic!

JB left this franch soooooo much better off than Gillis did - even if it was accidental.

interesting how this thread turned so quickly from, 'if covid never happened'

to

'Nuxfan still loves ol Jimmer'

16 minutes ago, lmm said:

to

Ftr, started getting more p*ssed as the yrs went by..for example, rush to sign TP(lousy deal too) yet don't reel in the guy we REALLY need, Big Nik.

Tried to stay positive as the team re-(whatever term one prefers, jig, vamp, build, etc...) through the 20-teen yrs.

But the elephant in the room is...(drafting, about 2006-2012, can't recall the precise yrs, yet saw a thread that showed it was historically ATROCIOUS over that given period)

That simply hollowed out the team. I would say a number of factors(namely trades, signings) helped the franchise keep their nose JUST above water for a lengthy spell.

They've never fully dive-bombed(ala Avs, Leafs, Habs this yr). As a fan, I don't really want to see a team you're cheering for take such a route. With a rigged LOTTO, prob moot anyways.

We do have some fine young talent today..to project forwards & build around. It's something that's worth appreciating.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

27 minutes ago, lmm said:

to

I still don't think most of these people realize this thread is about 'what if covid never happened' ... not surprised.  There's a lot of simpletons on this forum lol

53 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Rather than just reply with the usual "DUH WHAT IF THIS WAS A COOL REPLY, I'D BE SO COOL!!!!11!!"  ...I'd honestly like to know what you guys think would have happened if covid didn't occur, and the cap did go up by $4 to $5M, right when we were to look at extending a guy like Tanev or Toffoli?  Followed up by solid cap increases year after year into the future. 

i provided a scenario with reasonable facts and numbers to back it up... let's see what you've got.

What I see here is that you have made up this fanciful thread full of assumption and wishful thinking, and for the most part people are not taking your effort seriously.

You on the other hand take yourself very seriously and are feeling jaded by the humorous and sometimes sarcastic responses. (Sarcasm is Humor's ugly sister)

Some responses are not humorous, like Eddie's directly below. Alucard and Kanuck also gave you serious answers but they do not fit your idea

You believe that you have provided "reasonable facts" but none here seem to agree with you

the facts are,

that you cannot guarantee the Canucks would have made the playoff bubble

or that Jim would not have still run out of time on Toffoli/Tanev/Markstrom

or that he would have chosen Schmidt over Tanev again anyway, (you seem to have skipped Schmidt all together, which seems unreasonable)

I think what you need is to take a lesson from Jan's (now known as J.I.A.H.N.) playbook and realize that if one is to make preposterous proposals, then do it with the intention of have a fun and lively discussion, and try not to let your ego get to frosted when people make fun of your ideas

I think what would be fun in this thread is to start a tree full of branches

go through all of the moves made since 2019 and give different options and outcomes from each move

it is a bit like playing telephone because there are many options with each move, made or unmade along the way

You could start with 

2019/20 made the playoffs_______________________________2019/20 missed the playoff

that seems to be where your assumption called fact goes off the rails

but it is where 2 very different scenarios start

anyway, keep up the good work and don't take the flack too hard

53 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Pointless thread.  We arent living in a fantasy world

1 hour ago, rychicken said:

What if all the other teams in the league folded? We'd be champs every year!

I should start a thread.....

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

What I can conclude is that there is a lot of hate and anger out there with some Canucks fans.  Enough that they can't even logically take a deeper look and realize we probably, at minimum, would not be looking at finding a RHD for Hughes right now if if weren't for covid.  We probably also wouldn't be scrambling for cap space to re-sign Miller either.

Just shows how emotional and reactive this fanbase is lol

17 hours ago, alucard said:

If we had cap, Benning would already would use it with garbage signings,

Under Benning system, you could never have cap.

14 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Brilliant post. Really clear thinking and writing. I enjoyed it. Thanks.

13 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

What if Benning wasn't a bad GM? that probably would have helped the most.

13 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

If covid didnt happen Benning would have been fired during the bubble year already. Canucks were struggling and trending towards missing the playoff. The pause and the play in point % saved them.

11 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

And Travis Green becomes coach of the year too I suppose. 

The Lammiko trade probably doesn’t happen because Sutter never gets Covid and is the 4th line centre. 

11 hours ago, Vancan2021 said:

What if we never traded Cam Neely for a bag of pucks?  What if we never traded a bag of pucks for Marcus Naslund? What if the world really is flat? Lots of what ifs out there. Unfortunately the only certain is Canucks are not making he playoffs once again, and our once thought of up and coming cup contending "rebuilt" team was exposed and were back to our same old, same old. One more certain... Our acceptance of decades with mederocacey. Maybe next year....

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, lmm said:

What I see here is that you have made up this fanciful thread full of assumption and wishful thinking, and for the most part people are not taking your effort seriously.

You on the other hand take yourself very seriously and are feeling jaded by the humorous and sometimes sarcastic responses. (Sarcasm is Humor's ugly sister)

Some responses are not humorous, like Eddie's directly below. Alucard and Kanuck also gave you serious answers but they do not fit your idea

You believe that you have provided "reasonable facts" but none here seem to agree with you

the facts are,

that you cannot guarantee the Canucks would have made the playoff bubble

or that Jim would not have still run out of time on Toffoli/Tanev/Markstrom

or that he would have chosen Schmidt over Tanev again anyway, (you seem to have skipped Schmidt all together, which seems unreasonable)

I think what you need is to take a lesson from Jan's (now known as J.I.A.H.N.) playbook and realize that if one is to make preposterous proposals, then do it with the intention of have a fun and lively discussion, and try not to let your ego get to frosted when people make fun of your ideas

I think what would be fun in this thread is to start a tree full of branches

go through all of the moves made since 2019 and give different options and outcomes from each move

it is a bit like playing telephone because there are many options with each move, made or unmade along the way

You could start with 

2019/20 made the playoffs_______________________________2019/20 missed the playoff

that seems to be where your assumption called fact goes off the rails

but it is where 2 very different scenarios start

anyway, keep up the good work and don't take the flack too hard

Again, it's the reasonableness of what I've proposed.  If you disagree, I'd like to hear what disaster you feel this Canucks team would be in if covid didn't happen? 

I don't have issue with people disagreeing with me, but when you completely miss the point of the thread and have nothing useful to add, then why even post.

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Again, it's the reasonableness of what I've proposed.  If you disagree, I'd like to hear what disaster you feel this Canucks team would be in if covid didn't happen? 

I don't have issue with people disagreeing with me, but when you completely miss the point of the thread and have nothing useful to add, then why even post.

like I said, I think the tree is the way to go

I don't have time to do that today, but it might be fun to take on in the future

this is a "What if " thread

and there are many more " what 'ifs" along the last 2 years

Just now, lmm said:

like I said, I think the tree is the way to go

I don't have time to do that today, but it might be fun to take on in the future

this is a "What if " thread

and there are many more " what 'ifs" along the last 2 years

A What if Covid didn't happen thread... to be exact. 

21 hours ago, HKSR said:

In light of Toffoli's trade, I wanted to look back and see what could have transpired had covid not impacted the world (and our Canucks).

If Covid did not happen, I believe the team GMJB was putting together would have been a contender at this point.  Alas, covid did happen, and the rest is history. 

DISCLAIMER:  THE FOLLOWING ARE ALL ASSUMPTIONS LOOKING AT A 'WHAT IF' SCENARIO WHERE COVID NEVER HAPPENED....

Prior to covid, the cap was slated to go up by as much as $4M or even more.  So because of that, GMJB managed to keep Tanev AND Toffoli!  They re-signed at the same AAV and term that they did with Montreal and Calgary respectively.

Keeping Tanev and Toffoli, GMJB felt he still needed to dump cap, and so he did in fact pull the same trigger he did to unload Player Name, Beagle, and Roussel.  In comes OEL and Garland.

Covid had no impact on Virtanen's stupidity, so he's gone as per usual.

Gaudette is still traded away for Highmore.  Juolevi is still traded away for Lamikko/Juulsen.

Since we have Tanev, there was no need to re-sign Hamonic.  We did, however, re-sign Fantenberg because he awesome for the price of his contract and we needed LHD.

We don't go out and sign Dickinson, and of course, Sutter never gets covid since it doesn't exist. 

Unfortunately, it was still time for Edler to move on.

The cap moving forward only goes up by a measly $2M per year, but it's enough to re-sign Miller, Horvat, and Boeser without much issue.

Alas... what could have been... your 2021-22 Vancouver Canucks roster... :(

Miller-Petey-Boeser

Garland-Bo-Toffoli

Pearson-Sutter-Podz

Motte-Lamikko-Highmore

Hogs

Hughes-Tanev

OEL-Myers

Fantenberg-Schenn

Rathbone-Burroughs

Demko

Halak

Cap space galore moving forward, and yet we can still ice a team like this.... it's REALLY unfortunate that covid impacted us so badly...

CapWhatIf.jpg.bf0ac09c25c6bce64e4436e7b5d10047.jpg

I would like to add that because of COVID, Toffoli and Tanev's contracts are what they are now. If we had to re-sign both of them if there aren't COVID, they would cost atleast another 1-1.5 million each.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, ruilin96 said:

I would like to add that because of COVID, Toffoli and Tanev's contracts are what they are now. If we had to re-sign both of them if there aren't COVID, they would cost atleast another 1-1.5 million each.

Fair, but still would have been affordable, no?