The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Andrei Kuzmenko

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Love that honesty from our bossman!! Hope he and Podz can charm Kuzmenko! And I don't see why he wouldn't wanna join having a familiar face here plus a guaranteed top 6 spot!!! We need any affordable talents we can get this offseason!! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 5/3/2022 at 9:16 PM, RakuRaku said:

Love that honesty from our bossman!! Hope he and Podz can charm Kuzmenko! And I don't see why he wouldn't wanna join having a familiar face here plus a guaranteed top 6 spot!!! We need any affordable talents we can get this offseason!! 

So, who would be in the top-6 with Kuzmenko, and who would get kicked to the curb? Horvat moved to to 3-C? Garland or even Podkolzin dropped down? Hoglander looks like he could be relegated to the third line. Or, are people being traded to make room?

I'm not necessarily arguing the point, just curious...  :)

regards,  G.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Just remember this guy could just as easily become the next Fabian Brunnstrom.

He could, but that should be no reason not to try and get him still, nor be excited about if we do get him. Remember the good ol' Gretzky saying: "You miss one hundred percent of the shots you don't take" ;)

Edited by The Lock

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

He could, but that should be no reason not to try and get him still, nor be excited about if we do get him. Remember the good ol' Gretzky saying: "You miss one hundred percent of the shots you don't take" ;)

Oh I'm all for it, but I just think we should temper expectations :)

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Oh I'm all for it, but I just think we should temper expectations :)

Of course. I can definately understand that side of things too as we do have a tendency of having high expectations on prospects and players.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Cool, we trade him after his first game when the hype is the highest!!

lol that would be terrible... no european free agent will ever come here again after that :lol:

9 hours ago, Canucks_fo_life said:

Theres like 25 teams in on this guy, good luck lol

Yeah, I'm trying to keep my expectations low. What are the chances he picks the Canucks?  Fingers crossed. 

I believe the Oilers were the front-runner for him (the McDavid effect - aka pulling a Lucic), but this guy wants to play a regular role, not start out in the A or watching from the rafters.

So, the Oilers might not make sense for Kuzmenko. Vancouver, on the other hand, is a perfect opportunity for him. He will play, oh he will play!  New BFF Podz is waiting Andrei! C'mon down!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

lol that would be terrible... no european free agent will ever come here again after that :lol:

Fabian net a hatty his first game and did nothing ever after.

"Asset management"

:bigblush:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

So, who would be in the top-6 with Kuzmenko, and who would get kicked to the curb? Horvat moved to to 3-C? Garland or even Podkolzin dropped down? Hoglander looks like he could be relegated to the third line. Or, are people being traded to make room?

regards,  G.

Well.... just throwing it out there to entice Kuzmenko!! He could be a bust for all we know.... at least giving him a shot in top 6 would suit both parties well. 

and yes, Horvat at 3C would give us 3 capable scoring lines!!! We can't get stuck with the old ways of putting checking centres for 3rd and 4th lines with Dickinson and Lammikko... it'll just hold us back again!! Dickinson is best served as our 4C now. 

54 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, I'm trying to keep my expectations low. What are the chances he picks the Canucks?  Fingers crossed. 

I believe the Oilers were the front-runner for him (the McDavid effect - aka pulling a Lucic), but this guy wants to play a regular role, not start out in the A or watching from the rafters.

So, the Oilers might not make sense for Kuzmenko. Vancouver, on the other hand, is a perfect opportunity for him. He will play, oh he will play!  New BFF Podz is waiting Andrei! C'mon down!

There are reports out there to suggest the Oilers will have a hard time bringing back all their RFA's... so they do have trouble making room for Kuzmenko!

I have no idea how much Kuzmenko will fetch... maybe $2M ish?? But we have UFA's coming off the books: Richardson, Hunt, Chiasson.... and assuming we are not trading Horvat, Miller, Boeser... we only have enough cap room to fit in rookies like Kuzmenko and L. Karlsson... so let's roll the dice and hope for the best!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

New BFF? Him and Podz played on the same KHL team for 3 seasons, they already know each other

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

regards,  G.

Garland - Miller - Boeser

Kuzzie - Pettersson - Pods

Pearson - Horvat - Hoggie

Dickinson - Juho - Highmore

Lockwood, Richardson

B)

1 hour ago, RakuRaku said:

There are reports out there to suggest the Oilers will have a hard time bringing back all their RFA's... so they do have trouble making room for Kuzmenko!

I have no idea how much Kuzmenko will fetch... maybe $2M ish?? But we have UFA's coming off the books: Richardson, Hunt, Chiasson.... and assuming we are not trading Horvat, Miller, Boeser... we only have enough cap room to fit in rookies like Kuzmenko and L. Karlsson... so let's roll the dice and hope for the best!!

he can only sign a 1 year ELC, which is a big incentive for GMs and why so many teams are interested.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

he can only sign a 1 year ELC, which is a big incentive for GMs and why so many teams are interested.

That's huge.  If he works out, extend him right away.  If he doesn't, no big deal, cut him loose after a year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RakuRaku said:

Well.... just throwing it out there to entice Kuzmenko!! He could be a bust for all we know.... at least giving him a shot in top 6 would suit both parties well. 

and yes, Horvat at 3C would give us 3 capable scoring lines!!! We can't get stuck with the old ways of putting checking centres for 3rd and 4th lines with Dickinson and Lammikko... it'll just hold us back again!! Dickinson is best served as our 4C now. 

10 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Garland - Miller - Boeser

Kuzzie - Pettersson - Pods

Pearson - Horvat - Hoggie

Dickinson - Juho - Highmore

Lockwood, Richardson

B)

Yeah, I figured that this would be how things would look. This brings up further questions/thoughts (I'm not following hockey/the Canucks much since baseball season started up).

1.) What if Horvat decides that his best choice for career advancement is to not be a 3C in Vancouver? This involves ego and $$$$.

This doesn't necessarily have anything specific to do with Kuzmenko (him being a LW), but it does impact on how Miller is used (it tends to push him further out of the LW position, which doesn't seem like a bad thing) which then argues for Horvat being moved to 3c (behind Miller and Pettersson, assuming Pettersson plays like he did in the latter half of this past season). And if Horvat becomes the 3C, how much TOI would he be getting, and how much of that TOI would be in the other team's zone, and how would that affect his point production, and any future contract demands?

And what kind of money could Horvat demand in his next contract if he has been relegated? Some will argue that $6+ million per season (assumed for the next contract) is a lot for a 3C, even one who would be as good as Horvat would be in that role.

2.) I'm surprised (not disappointed, just surprised) that both of you are assuming that Dickinson will still be with the Canucks next season. If he gets mentioned, in most cases it's in a "Dickinson gets traded" kind of comment. There is the not so great year which he just had, but there's also his cap hit which seems to constantly be brought up, and folks are complaining about that when he's being discussed as a third line C/LW and not playing on the 4th line. I think (hope) the guy will have a bounce-back year next season, but we will see how/where he gets used.

3.) The other guys:

I'm also assuming that Chiasson will be re-signed (or someone else who fills a similar role), which takes another winger spot (4LW?).

I like the idea of Richardson being re-signed. Back in the day, Malhotra (as a 3C) took a lot of pressure off of Kesler for FO duties, but who did the Canucks have behind him...? Richardson backing up Horvat will likely be a good thing over the course of a season.

Having Richardson as 4C shifts where Lammikko plays, no? And this once again directs attention to Dickinson and his future here.

4.) I'm assuming that Lockwood gets put back in the AHL for next season, purely for numbers reasons. If he is kept up with the Canucks, someone has to go, so who would it be? Chiasson/new guy (LW)? Lammikko (C/LW)? Highmore (RW)?

More as things develop. Need fud.

regards,  G.