The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Andrei Kuzmenko

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

its certainly quite the tease, I hope he's not doing this to use us to put pressure on other teams.

So this isn't an ELC contact since he'd be over 25 correct? so I wonder what numbers they'd be discussing? how do we fit him in? 

I have no idea what the cap would be, but it sure sounds like the discussions are going well. Allvin has been scouting this guy for 9 years?  Does Millstein work for any other Canucks?  It would be nice if he was Podkolzin's agent too. Considering all that this team has been through the last few years, it sure would be good to get a win here. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I have no idea what the cap would be, but it sure sounds like the discussions are going well. Allvin has been scouting this guy for 9 years?  Does Millstein work for any other Canucks?  It would be nice if he was Podkolzin's agent too. Considering all that this team has been through the last few years, it sure would be good to get a win here. 

It would be a huge win, after striking out on some other collegiate free agents who rejected the Canucks to go elsewhere. It would finally be a relief that management gets a win here. And Kuzmenko sounds like he could produce at the NHL. 

Is that true that Allvin has scouted Kuzmenko for 9 years?? 

On 5/5/2022 at 12:33 PM, Gollumpus said:

Yeah, I figured that this would be how things would look. This brings up further questions/thoughts (I'm not following hockey/the Canucks much since baseball season started up).

1.) What if Horvat decides that his best choice for career advancement is to not be a 3C in Vancouver? This involves ego and $$$$.

This doesn't necessarily have anything specific to do with Kuzmenko (him being a LW), but it does impact on how Miller is used (it tends to push him further out of the LW position, which doesn't seem like a bad thing) which then argues for Horvat being moved to 3c (behind Miller and Pettersson, assuming Pettersson plays like he did in the latter half of this past season). And if Horvat becomes the 3C, how much TOI would he be getting, and how much of that TOI would be in the other team's zone, and how would that affect his point production, and any future contract demands?

And what kind of money could Horvat demand in his next contract if he has been relegated? Some will argue that $6+ million per season (assumed for the next contract) is a lot for a 3C, even one who would be as good as Horvat would be in that role.

2.) I'm surprised (not disappointed, just surprised) that both of you are assuming that Dickinson will still be with the Canucks next season. If he gets mentioned, in most cases it's in a "Dickinson gets traded" kind of comment. There is the not so great year which he just had, but there's also his cap hit which seems to constantly be brought up, and folks are complaining about that when he's being discussed as a third line C/LW and not playing on the 4th line. I think (hope) the guy will have a bounce-back year next season, but we will see how/where he gets used.

3.) The other guys:

I'm also assuming that Chiasson will be re-signed (or someone else who fills a similar role), which takes another winger spot (4LW?).

I like the idea of Richardson being re-signed. Back in the day, Malhotra (as a 3C) took a lot of pressure off of Kesler for FO duties, but who did the Canucks have behind him...? Richardson backing up Horvat will likely be a good thing over the course of a season.

Having Richardson as 4C shifts where Lammikko plays, no? And this once again directs attention to Dickinson and his future here.

4.) I'm assuming that Lockwood gets put back in the AHL for next season, purely for numbers reasons. If he is kept up with the Canucks, someone has to go, so who would it be? Chiasson/new guy (LW)? Lammikko (C/LW)? Highmore (RW)?

More as things develop. Need fud.

regards,  G.

1. I don’t think Horvat would complain playing the role of 3C, if it helps the team win. I think for him, he’s at the point of his career that all he wants to do is win. Get to the playoffs consistently, advance, and win that damn Cup for this city. He’s said as much. The guy is a career Canuck. He sees himself as such. I think he’ll get paid quite well, 6M for a guy who can score clutch goals, is a FO beast, can score goals - I’d take that for 6M. It’s a contract he’s earned. And if anyone would take a hometown discount, it’s him. 

2. I personally don’t see Dickinson back. He’s been so bad this year, I’m not sure there’s justification and rationalization to bring him back to the roster. The only reason for why he would be back is because there are no takers for his services. 

3. Chiasson will be back for cheap. If not for cheap, then he’ll be somewhere else or out of the league. 

4. I think Lockwood actually makes the roster next year. In his limited time, he showed well. 

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

its certainly quite the tease, I hope he's not doing this to use us to put pressure on other teams.

So this isn't an ELC contact since he'd be over 25 correct? so I wonder what numbers they'd be discussing? how do we fit him in? 

It is a 1 year ELC contract because of his age.  That is why he is an attractive gamble.  Super cheap and you can walk away in a year.

Presumably it would be a max ELC deal with bonus possibilities.

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2022 at 11:01 PM, Gollumpus said:

So, who would be in the top-6 with Kuzmenko, and who would get kicked to the curb? Horvat moved to to 3-C? Garland or even Podkolzin dropped down? Hoglander looks like he could be relegated to the third line. Or, are people being traded to make room?

I'm not necessarily arguing the point, just curious...  :)

regards,  G.

You’d have to think that Höglander gets pushed down to the third line. 

Load up the top line. Petey, Miller, Kuzmenko. 

Second line of Bo, Brock, Podkolzin. 

There’s your top six already. 

On 5/3/2022 at 2:56 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I sure hope they can. We desperately need help. I was really disheartened when we lost so many NCAA free agents to other teams. 

46 minutes ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

You'd seriously give up on Boeser just to move up ten spots in a mediocre draft? Selling low on Boeser after a down season is a bad idea, especially for a return as inconsequential as that.

I wouldn't. Not this draft. If it was the 2023 draft? Then yeah, I would do that. 

2 hours ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

You'd seriously give up on Boeser just to move up ten spots in a mediocre draft? Selling low on Boeser after a down season is a bad idea, especially for a return as inconsequential as that.

Yeah. I think it’s also a bad idea to sell low on Brock. I get the sense that he’ll bounce back in a huge way next season. 

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I think it’s also a bad idea to sell low on Brock. I get the sense that he’ll bounce back in a huge way next season. 

I'm hoping your right. Boeser is young still at 24. I think he gets resigned. My biggest worry is a NTC or NMC which limits future movement. I prefer Miller is moved as his return will dwarf Boeser and he is much older/

I'll be honest, I don't know anything about this guy. Typically, from my experience these kinds of signings are low impact. However, having another Russian on the main squad is probably a good thing for podkolzin. 

I've been pretty bullish on that kid since we've drafted him, but he's shown very well this season. (I think I was more annoyed with CDC than the player)

11 hours ago, Provost said:

It is a 1 year ELC contract because of his age.  That is why he is an attractive gamble.  Super cheap and you can walk away in a year.

Presumably it would be a max ELC deal with bonus possibilities.

ah OK I wasn't sure since he's 26 and if it was still an ELC. Even better then in some ways. 

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

ah OK I wasn't sure since he's 26 and if it was still an ELC. Even better then in some ways. 

Thankfully just a 1yr contract keeps it a low risk signing in case if he turns out more like Gusev than Panerin.

21 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Thankfully just a 1yr contract keeps it a low risk signing in case if he turns out more like Gusev than Panerin.

for sure. Downside is you can't outbid another team. We'll see if the McDavid influence continues. 

13 hours ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

You wouldn't? He's borderline worthless trade wise. I wouldn't blink an eye to move up for a top 5 pick. In a weak draft it's all the more reason to move up. It doesn't mean there aren't any good players but they are fewer and further between. A top pick really increases your odds of getting a player. A top 5 pick is almost always close to a guarantee. I guess there are decent players at 15 though but Boeser is a pretty poor player 5v5.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

You wouldn't? He's borderline worthless. I wouldn't blink an eye to move up for a top 5 pick. Wow.

Using the past season as a marker for 'borderline worthless' is unfair.  Would you say the same about his

previous season?  It isn't a stretch to say that Boeser had an emotionally wrenching year, which likely was

a major cause of his decline this season. 

I lost my mother when I was his age and I can't imagine what it would have been like if I'd lived 3000 miles

away.  Losing a loved one is a horrible experience, but the slow decline to death; especially if you are not

nearby, can consume your thoughts with worry, dread, guilt, anger, sadness, hopelessness, anxiety,

desperation, etc.  I can't imagine trying to perform a demanding job like he has with all that weight on

my mind and heart.

Hope he is able to spend some quality time with his dad during the offseason.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I'll be honest, I don't know anything about this guy. Typically, from my experience these kinds of signings are low impact. However, having another Russian on the main squad is probably a good thing for podkolzin. 

I've been pretty bullish on that kid since we've drafted him, but he's shown very well this season. (I think I was more annoyed with CDC than the player)

I remember watching Pods’ games last year and Kuzmenko standing out.  He’s was really good (with the puck in the O zone) in the games I watched.  If we can get him it would be a big add.  He’s instantly in our top 9.  I’d have no concerns moving out 

Garland for picks/prospects/help on D if we can get Kuzmenko.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Using the past season as a marker for 'borderline worthless' is unfair.  Would you say the same about his

previous season?  It isn't a stretch to say that Boeser had an emotionally wrenching year, which likely was

a major cause of his decline this season. 

I lost my mother when I was his age and I can't imagine what it would have been like if I'd lived 3000 miles

away.  Losing a loved one is a horrible experience, but the slow decline to death; especially if you are not

nearby, can consume your thoughts with worry, dread, guilt, anger, sadness, hopelessness, anxiety,

desperation, etc.  I can't imagine trying to perform a demanding job like he has with all that weight on

my mind and heart.

Hope he is able to spend some quality time with his dad during the offseason.

I can only imagine. It must be horrible, my heartfelt sympathies. I thought he played pretty great last year but just about all of his production comes on the PP. He's awfully slow, doesn't battle much at all and his defensive zone work is atrocious/non existent. I can definitely give him leeway on this year but overall I don't think he's a good fit moving forward. If we roll with someone else on the PP he's a 30-40 point guy scoring 15 goals or so.

I really hope he gets some quality time with dad too. He's a great guy so I won't be upset if he's back or not but I don't see us needing an immobile sniper in our top 6. I think we could do better.