The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Andrei Kuzmenko

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I can only imagine. It must be horrible, my heartfelt sympathies. I thought he played pretty great last year but just about all of his production comes on the PP. He's awfully slow, doesn't battle much at all and his defensive zone work is atrocious/non existent. I can definitely give him leeway on this year but overall I don't think he's a good fit moving forward. If we roll with someone else on the PP he's a 30-40 point guy scoring 15 goals or so.

I really hope he gets some quality time with dad too. He's a great guy so I won't be upset if he's back or not but I don't see us needing an immobile sniper in our top 6. I think we could do better.

If you think he is 'borderline worthless' his return would be pretty much the same.  So you would be happy with the

salary cap as his return?

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

If you think he is 'borderline worthless' his return would be pretty much the same.  So you would be happy with the

JR said the club isn’t happy with Brock’s QO, and they are talking to the agent about a longe4 term contract.  If Brock will only accept his QO, and not take less for a longer term, then we might see him going for whatever we can get for his rights, which would be very little, if anything.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JR said the club isn’t happy with Brock’s QO, and they are talking to the agent about a longe4 term contract.  If Brock will only accept his QO, and not take less for a longer term, then we might see him going for whatever we can get for his rights, which would be very little, if anything.  

two years of RFA rights tho, and he can be taken to arbitration for under his QO. I could see a team like Pits or Philly taking a chance on that. 

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

I don't know ... it's a tough one. the original post was about trading him for the 5th overall which I thought was a no brainer due to his low trade value. Depends what his salary is. At around the same salary on a 4-6 year deal would be livable. I'm just not sure if Boeser has room to grow or if we've seen it all at this point. I'm fully willing to see what JR and co do on this one. I'm not particularly strong on any stance except the feeling that it may be best to move on. I  mean he's a good player for sure, definitely not useless in reality but pretty one dimensional and his trade value is minimal.

Podkolzin       Pettersson   Kuzmenko

Crouse           Miller            Boeser

Pearson         Horvat          Garland

Deslauriers    Lammikko    Highmore

Adding Kuzmenko would be huge.  Play him with Podzilla and Petey.  Then we need some truculence in the lineup.  Crouse and Deslauriers would be the perfect fit.

Hoglander, Dickinson and Myers all need to be moved out.  I wonder what Arizoona wants for Crouse?  Hoglander +?  

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Podkolzin       Pettersson   Kuzmenko

Crouse           Miller            Boeser

Pearson         Horvat          Garland

Deslauriers    Lammikko    Highmore

Adding Kuzmenko would be huge.  Play him with Podzilla and Petey.  Then we need some truculence in the lineup.  Crouse and Deslauriers would be the perfect fit.

Hoglander, Dickinson and Myers all need to be moved out.  I wonder what Arizoona wants for Crouse?  Hoglander +?  

I would imagine being promised a chance to play with Petey and Podz was part of the discussion trying to lure him here. 

AZ would want a 1st, so don't know how we'd acquire an extra one if we're not moving out one of Boeser or Miller. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I don't know ... it's a tough one. the original post was about trading him for the 5th overall which I thought was a no brainer due to his low trade value. Depends what his salary is. At around the same salary on a 4-6 year deal would be livable. I'm just not sure if Boeser has room to grow or if we've seen it all at this point. I'm fully willing to see what JR and co do on this one. I'm not particularly strong on any stance except the feeling that it may be best to move on. I  mean he's a good player for sure, definitely not useless in reality but pretty one dimensional and his trade value is minimal.

Brock is more aware than anyone that he will not be getting a huge contract offer...from any team.  It would probably

be better for Brock if he does get a reasonable contract from the Canucks; even if they intend to trade him (suppose

they could let his agent talk with other teams as well).

With an appropriate contract, I think the return from LA could be Kupari + Grans (who is still a bit high risky/high reward).

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I would imagine being promised a chance to play with Petey and Podz was part of the discussion trying to lure him here. 

AZ would want a 1st, so don't know how we'd acquire an extra one if we're not moving out one of Boeser or Miller. 

They would probably want Podz:shock:  

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I remember watching Pods’ games last year and Kuzmenko standing out.  He’s was really good (with the puck in the O zone) in the games I watched.  If we can get him it would be a big add.  He’s instantly in our top 9.  I’d have no concerns moving out 

Garland for picks/prospects/help on D if we can get Kuzmenko.  

Isn't he a FA? Why would we have to move out anything?

7 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I'll be honest, I don't know anything about this guy. Typically, from my experience these kinds of signings are low impact. However, having another Russian on the main squad is probably a good thing for podkolzin. 

I've been pretty bullish on that kid since we've drafted him, but he's shown very well this season. (I think I was more annoyed with CDC than the player)

Apparently, Kuzmenko's a skilled player whose KHL numbers compare favourably with other KHL stars who had success after moving to the NHL - e.g., Panarin and Kaprizov. That said, he's on the older side compared to when those others moved to the NHL.

I've been a Podkolzin fan as well since seeing him dominate in that tournament in Edmonton (iirc). The only other player I was hoping the Canucks would have drafted was Zegras, but Benning wasn't able to trade up, unfortunately.

Andrei Kuzmenko began the interviewing process with NHL clubs this week, speaking to at least three teams. The 26 year old free agent forward is expected to virtually meet with at least two more teams next week. A decision on his playing future isn’t expected before next month.

— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) May 6, 2022

The 26-year-old free agent is expected to meet virtually with at least two more teams next week. A decision on his playing future isn’t expected before next month

https://www.tsn.ca/andrei-kuzmenko-national-hockey-league-1.1796041

So about 4-6 teams in the running? Let's gooooooo Pods call your brooooo

• Vintage 1

“Vancouver is definitely on the list,” said Milstein. “We’ve been talking to Vancouver executives for a very long time. It’s a great city, good place to play, a good team, good coach, and stable management. Vancouver should be excited for many years on what’s to come.”

Milstein added that Canucks GM Patrik Allvin watched Kuzmenko play nine years ago and has kept tabs on him ever since.

“I expect him to be a top six forward, he can play on the power play,” said Milstein. “He’s very strong, he’s a hard worker, he plays on both sides of the ice and we expect him to make an impact from early on.”

A GREAT CITY A GOOD PLACE TO PLAY

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

God!  Just don’t offer him only an AHL spot like we did with McDounnah.  This guy is a serious player and we should be saying whatever it takes to get him here.  He plays with Petey.  He’s on PP 1.  He gets 20 plus minutes every game.  He gets a free Condo next to the rink.  Do what it takes!  No stupid mistakes.  

44 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

A GREAT CITY A GOOD PLACE TO PLAY

I feel like the “stable management” statement is a bit of a slight at Benning. Maybe they didn’t have the best relationship.

We all know Bennings time management and communication weren’t the best. I’m sure agents didn’t appreciate that. Having a former agent in the fold should help things too.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Clearly this guy wants a spot where he can put up the biggest numbers so he can get a big contract July 2023.  He’s not interested in going to a winning team.  He wants PP 1 and to play with the top guys in a system that goes for goals.  If ?Bruce as back I could see him coming here.  But with JR’s recent comments about needing more structure, and players not cheating to create offence, I’m pretty sure this player is not signing with us after his agent hears that stuff.