The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Andrei Kuzmenko

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

Yeah, I figured that this would be how things would look. This brings up further questions/thoughts (I'm not following hockey/the Canucks much since baseball season started up).

1.) What if Horvat decides that his best choice for career advancement is to not be a 3C in Vancouver? This involves ego and $$$$.

This doesn't necessarily have anything specific to do with Kuzmenko (him being a LW), but it does impact on how Miller is used (it tends to push him further out of the LW position, which doesn't seem like a bad thing) which then argues for Horvat being moved to 3c (behind Miller and Pettersson, assuming Pettersson plays like he did in the latter half of this past season). And if Horvat becomes the 3C, how much TOI would he be getting, and how much of that TOI would be in the other team's zone, and how would that affect his point production, and any future contract demands?

And what kind of money could Horvat demand in his next contract if he has been relegated? Some will argue that $6+ million per season (assumed for the next contract) is a lot for a 3C, even one who would be as good as Horvat would be in that role.

2.) I'm surprised (not disappointed, just surprised) that both of you are assuming that Dickinson will still be with the Canucks next season. If he gets mentioned, in most cases it's in a "Dickinson gets traded" kind of comment. There is the not so great year which he just had, but there's also his cap hit which seems to constantly be brought up, and folks are complaining about that when he's being discussed as a third line C/LW and not playing on the 4th line. I think (hope) the guy will have a bounce-back year next season, but we will see how/where he gets used.

3.) The other guys:

I'm also assuming that Chiasson will be re-signed (or someone else who fills a similar role), which takes another winger spot (4LW?).

I like the idea of Richardson being re-signed. Back in the day, Malhotra (as a 3C) took a lot of pressure off of Kesler for FO duties, but who did the Canucks have behind him...? Richardson backing up Horvat will likely be a good thing over the course of a season.

Having Richardson as 4C shifts where Lammikko plays, no? And this once again directs attention to Dickinson and his future here.

4.) I'm assuming that Lockwood gets put back in the AHL for next season, purely for numbers reasons. If he is kept up with the Canucks, someone has to go, so who would it be? Chiasson/new guy (LW)? Lammikko (C/LW)? Highmore (RW)?

More as things develop. Need fud.

regards,  G.

Listen.. if Bo was truly a team captain, he wouldn't care which line he plays on as long as he's effective with his linemates.

Richardson is too old, too slow... he won't be retained...

As for Chiasson, unless he's willing to be back for just $1M... we would give the spot to Lockwood!! He's ready for fulltime NHL!!

2 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Yeah, I figured that this would be how things would look. This brings up further questions/thoughts (I'm not following hockey/the Canucks much since baseball season started up).

1.) What if Horvat decides that his best choice for career advancement is to not be a 3C in Vancouver? This involves ego and $$$$.

This doesn't necessarily have anything specific to do with Kuzmenko (him being a LW), but it does impact on how Miller is used (it tends to push him further out of the LW position, which doesn't seem like a bad thing) which then argues for Horvat being moved to 3c (behind Miller and Pettersson, assuming Pettersson plays like he did in the latter half of this past season). And if Horvat becomes the 3C, how much TOI would he be getting, and how much of that TOI would be in the other team's zone, and how would that affect his point production, and any future contract demands?

And what kind of money could Horvat demand in his next contract if he has been relegated? Some will argue that $6+ million per season (assumed for the next contract) is a lot for a 3C, even one who would be as good as Horvat would be in that role.

2.) I'm surprised (not disappointed, just surprised) that both of you are assuming that Dickinson will still be with the Canucks next season. If he gets mentioned, in most cases it's in a "Dickinson gets traded" kind of comment. There is the not so great year which he just had, but there's also his cap hit which seems to constantly be brought up, and folks are complaining about that when he's being discussed as a third line C/LW and not playing on the 4th line. I think (hope) the guy will have a bounce-back year next season, but we will see how/where he gets used.

3.) The other guys:

I'm also assuming that Chiasson will be re-signed (or someone else who fills a similar role), which takes another winger spot (4LW?).

I like the idea of Richardson being re-signed. Back in the day, Malhotra (as a 3C) took a lot of pressure off of Kesler for FO duties, but who did the Canucks have behind him...? Richardson backing up Horvat will likely be a good thing over the course of a season.

Having Richardson as 4C shifts where Lammikko plays, no? And this once again directs attention to Dickinson and his future here.

4.) I'm assuming that Lockwood gets put back in the AHL for next season, purely for numbers reasons. If he is kept up with the Canucks, someone has to go, so who would it be? Chiasson/new guy (LW)? Lammikko (C/LW)? Highmore (RW)?

More as things develop. Need fud.

regards,  G.

Honestly, I think if we're really gonna scrutinize the fantasy line-up I posted, one of those top-9 guys are gone in a package for a top-4 RHD to play with Quinn. It's more fantasy than anything. Saying that, I don't think it's impossible that the Canucks start the year with Millsy - Petey - Bo down the middle. Bo would still be getting top unit PP time and the three top lines would be close in TOI in this fantasy world.

I don't think Chiasson is brought back. He had a good run down the stretch but other than that he was one of the worst players on the ice for most games. Yea, he put up some goals early on but he was slow to the puck, a defensive liability, and now he's going to be a year older. He spent the last 3 off-seasons on PTOs and I expect a league min. contract for him somewhere else, another PTO or possibly being even Euro-bound. Lockwood outplayed Chiasson last training camp, and it wouldn't surprise me this NHL exp. gives him an even stronger camp next year. Another forward jockeying for a forward position will be likely be Linus Karlsson, I somewhat expect he'll start in the AHL, but you never know.

With Dickie, his contract makes him basically have no value. I think GMPA and JR will try to find a way to move him this off-season, and maybe they'll pull off some magik like with Hamonic. I think it's more likely the Canucks are stuck with him and they hope for an injury-free bounce back year. This is an entirely healthy fantasy line-up, something that rarely happens for the Canucks - so between PK and injuries I'd assume he'd spend some time in the top-9. If any of those top-9 forwards are moved in a deal for defenseman then he might start the year in the top-9.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Listen.. if Bo was truly a team captain, he wouldn't care which line he plays on as long as he's effective with his linemates.

Richardson is too old, too slow... he won't be retained...

As for Chiasson, unless he's willing to be back for just $1M... we would give the spot to Lockwood!! He's ready for fulltime NHL!!

Well, "listen" back at yah. :P  I don't profess to know the inner workings of Bo Horvat's heart and mind or what makes a good captain. I'd like to say that I agree with your POV but, maybe someone offers a deal too good to pass up (money, term, TOI, potential line mates, potential for the new team to win a Cup in the short term AND perhaps additional Cups). It would be good for him and his family to sign with this other team, and we're not just talking about it being his "... best chance to win a Cup" kind of situation which was Ehrhoff's claim for signing with the Sabres (but it might be a factor). Why wouldn't he go? 

Richardson is slower than he was previously in his career, but how fast would he have to be considering the top-9 in front of him? He'd be playing 5 - 6 minutes in the Canucks' end of the ice (perhaps giving Horvat a bit of a breather if there are a lot of penalties) where he wins the face off (a good probability) and the team gets the puck out. Maybe it would be good if he could skate to the bench a second or two faster...

I'm not married to Chiasson, but the team does need someone who plays a physical game and has some size. If the team feel that' Chiasson is their guy, okay. If they get some other guy (via UFA or trade) then that is okay too. For right now, I would want a guy bigger than Lockwood, which is not to say that I dislike the kid, but some size (with some ability) would be nice to have to go with the tenacity.

regards,  G.

7 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Honestly, I think if we're really gonna scrutinize the fantasy line-up I posted, one of those top-9 guys are gone in a package for a top-4 RHD to play with Quinn. It's more fantasy than anything. Saying that, I don't think it's impossible that the Canucks start the year with Millsy - Petey - Bo down the middle. Bo would still be getting top unit PP time and the three top lines would be close in TOI in this fantasy world.

I don't think Chiasson is brought back. He had a good run down the stretch but other than that he was one of the worst players on the ice for most games. Yea, he put up some goals early on but he was slow to the puck, a defensive liability, and now he's going to be a year older. He spent the last 3 off-seasons on PTOs and I expect a league min. contract for him somewhere else, another PTO or possibly being even Euro-bound. Lockwood outplayed Chiasson last training camp, and it wouldn't surprise me this NHL exp. gives him an even stronger camp next year. Another forward jockeying for a forward position will be likely be Linus Karlsson, I somewhat expect he'll start in the AHL, but you never know.

With Dickie, his contract makes him basically have no value. I think GMPA and JR will try to find a way to move him this off-season, and maybe they'll pull off some magik like with Hamonic. I think it's more likely the Canucks are stuck with him and they hope for an injury-free bounce back year. This is an entirely healthy fantasy line-up, something that rarely happens for the Canucks - so between PK and injuries I'd assume he'd spend some time in the top-9. If any of those top-9 forwards are moved in a deal for defenseman then he might start the year in the top-9.

I was assuming that you were just going with the guys who are currently under contract/team control, but a trade wouldn't surprise me.  :)

Agreed with the money situation for next season. I'm not too concerned about next year's cap situation (new Boeser deal?), it's the year after that where things have the potential to get really tight (Horvat, Miller, et al). 

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if Chiasson weren't brought back, however, I do think the team needs a(nother) bigger body/physical winger in the bottom-6. While I do like Lockwood and how he plays, I would prefer to have him playing a regular shift in the AHL than warming a seat in the press box, or playing a few minutes every 3 - 4 games. Highmore(RW) is a comparable type of player to Lockwood, so does one of Highmore or Lockwood move to the other wing (probably Highmore)? And then there'd be a couple of (borderline) smaller wingers with a lot of tenacity on the 4th line.

For Dickinson, I figure that the team could try to pay to have another team to take him in trade (draft pick etc). I wouldn't mind keeping the guy as I do believe he's a decent bottom-6 player, but his cap and the upcoming situation with Boeser, Horvat and Miller argues against keeping him. Dickinson's contract would likely pay for the increases on the new deals for  Boeser, Lammikko and Highmore.

regards,  G.

14 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

I was assuming that you were just going with the guys who are currently under contract/team control, but a trade wouldn't surprise me.  :)

Agreed with the money situation for next season. I'm not too concerned about next year's cap situation (new Boeser deal?), it's the year after that where things have the potential to get really tight (Horvat, Miller, et al). 

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if Chiasson weren't brought back, however, I do think the team needs a(nother) bigger body/physical winger in the bottom-6. While I do like Lockwood and how he plays, I would prefer to have him playing a regular shift in the AHL than warming a seat in the press box, or playing a few minutes every 3 - 4 games. Highmore(RW) is a comparable type of player to Lockwood, so does one of Highmore or Lockwood move to the other wing (probably Highmore)? And then there'd be a couple of (borderline) smaller wingers with a lot of tenacity on the 4th line.

For Dickinson, I figure that the team could try to pay to have another team to take him in trade (draft pick etc). I wouldn't mind keeping the guy as I do believe he's a decent bottom-6 player, but his cap and the upcoming situation with Boeser, Horvat and Miller argues against keeping him. Dickinson's contract would likely pay for the increases on the new deals for  Boeser, Lammikko and Highmore.

regards,  G.

Yea, if we're talking replacing Chiasson with similar level player (4th line/13th forward with a specific role), I wouldn't be against replacing him with a bigger, more physical player. Nicolas Deslauriers would probably be my main UFA target if I were targetting a player of that type.  Deslauriers - Juho - Highmore/Lockwood (whoever wins out of camp) would be a solid 4th line IMO.

Edited by Teemu Selänne
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We need to have Larionov or someone on staff specifically for the Russian players.

The market will be completely changing in the KHL with the ruble devalued and sanctions.  Suddenly it might make a lot more sense for the guys who are higher end there but middle tier here to come over.   Before they could make nearly as much money in Russia, but there will be a big difference now.  Living in Russia will also be a lot crappier for the next few years with inflation and general lack of stuff due to trade restrictions so some guys might be thinking it is a good time to be having the family elsewhere.

Might be good to be ahead of the market on getting a couple of those guys as I think Russian players have been undervalued in recent years because of the (valid) worry of them being a flight risk to the KHL.

Edited by Provost
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

We need to have Larionov or someone on staff specifically for the Russian players.

The market will be completely changing in the KHL with the ruble devalued and sanctions.  Suddenly it might make a lot more sense for the guys who are higher end there but middle tier here to come over.   Before they could make nearly as much money in Russia, but there will be a big difference now.  Living in Russia will also be a lot crappier for the next few years with inflation and general lack of stuff due to trade restrictions.

Might be good to be ahead of the market on getting a couple of those guys.

great idea, we could have him on staff and he'd work from there most of the time. That would be a great move. Not sure exactly what the role would be exactly... special advisor of some kind?

Just now, JM_ said:

great idea, we could have him on staff and he'd work from there most of the time. That would be a great move. Not sure exactly what the role would be exactly... special advisor of some kind?

Yep, part-time special advisor or something like that.  Assuming he is interested in being part of the NHL.  He still seems to want to be plugged into hockey and up until recent years was still doing hits on 650.

Maybe a handful of guys in history have as much hardware as a Larionov does as a winner in all levels.  Gold medals, Cups, championships, hall of fame, etc.  extra credibility for the club instantly.

still (well at least before Ukraine) splits some of his time between Russia and the US.  I think at least one of his kids still lives in the US.  

Having an inside track on Swedish players has done our organization pretty well.  Do the same thing with Russian players where we make it easy for them to choose us and show how Russian players can thrive here to entice the next batch.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yep, part-time special advisor or something like that.  Assuming he is interested in being part of the NHL.  He still seems to want to be plugged into hockey and up until recent years was still doing hits on 650.

Maybe a handful of guys in history have as much hardware as a Larionov does as a winner in all levels.  Gold medals, Cups, championships, hall of fame, etc.  extra credibility for the club instantly.

still (well at least before Ukraine) splits some of his time between Russia and the US.  I think at least one of his kids still lives in the US.  

Having an inside track on Swedish players has done our organization pretty well.  Do the same thing with Russian players where we make it easy for them to choose us and show how Russian players can thrive here to entice the next batch.

There's another Russian coming soon that I'd love to see in a Canucks jersey one day... Michkov something or other... :)

22 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Professor.

(Do not be late for class.)

Would love to have Igor back; missed him since he left the Nux so many years ago.

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

VAN should be excited for many years for what is about to come?

This sure sounds like - VAN should be excited for many years with Kuzmenko on their team  :bigblush:

its certainly quite the tease, I hope he's not doing this to use us to put pressure on other teams.

So this isn't an ELC contact since he'd be over 25 correct? so I wonder what numbers they'd be discussing? how do we fit him in? 

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

its certainly quite the tease, I hope he's not doing this to use us to put pressure on other teams.

So this isn't an ELC contact since he'd be over 25 correct? so I wonder what numbers they'd be discussing? how do we fit him in? 

I told ya

1.  Trade Boeser and pick 15 to NJ for pick 5.

2.  Sign Kuzmenko for Boesers replacement.

4.  Profit.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 2