The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks interested in Jacob Chychrun as a TDL acquisition

Odd.

We should have dangled the 9th overall pick and LE for Chychrun last off season! No way we can afford the asking price for him now, we literally have nothing to offer other than our 1st round pick that has much value. Team can't afford to move ELC players like Hoglander and Podkolzin

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

We have a tendancy to overrate our d prospects.  Ie Rafferty, chatfield.  Rathbones ceiling is maybe a 4 or 5 on a contending team.   Also, we already have quinn as an undersized dman , it isnt going to help us much having undersized rathbone in as well. Weve seen lately how effective bigger or agressive dmen like schenn, hamonic, burroughs can be and if we want to contend thats the route we need to take.

I would argue we have the tendency to move on from prospects too quickly as well...lack of proper development in the minors has been a big issue with this franchise.  With the talent Rathbone has, you have to give him a chance and see what he can do. Undersized Dmen aren't rare in the NHL anymore. Schenn, Hamonic and Burroughs don't produce much offense either, our D is near bottom of the league in helping out on the scoresheet. That has to change, our powerplay is terrible and Rathbone would excel there. Nobody expected much from Raffferty and Chatfield - they aren't on Rathbone's level talent wise....not even close. Rathbone has 21pts in 19 games...you gotta see where it goes.

Note - we rarely if ever had D prospects to rate as we have been atrocious in drafting at the position with the exception of Hughes. Right now, our D prospect cupboard is looking pretty bare...Jurmo may be promising but Rathbone is our best prospect and you don't move on from that unless you know what you're gonna get and you've evaluated enough. Rathbone hasn't played enough yet to make that evaluation. If we are going to contend, we'll need the blueline to contribute more as well as play well defensively....you can't have a whole D core full of Schenns and Hamonics you need guys to run powerplays and move the puck with high offensive skill.

This management team wants to stock the prospect pool, not deplete it further.

"Rathbones ceiling is maybe a 4 or 5 on a contending team."...Well it's a good thing he's not on a contending team lol..he's 22 years old he wouldn't make a contending teams lineup anyways so that point is kind of irrelevant. He's on this team, which lacks prospects and talent on the back end, that's all that matters not what he would do on a contender.

Edited by Harold Drunken

36 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

I would argue we have the tendency to move on from prospects too quickly as well...lack of proper development in the minors has been a big issue with this franchise.  With the talent Rathbone has, you have to give him a chance and see what he can do. Undersized Dmen aren't rare in the NHL anymore. Schenn, Hamonic and Burroughs don't produce much offense either, our D is near bottom of the league in helping out on the scoresheet. That has to change, our powerplay is terrible and Rathbone would excel there. Nobody expected much from Raffferty and Chatfield - they aren't on Rathbone's level talent wise....not even close. Rathbone has 21pts in 19 games...you gotta see where it goes.

Note - we rarely if ever had D prospects to rate as we have been atrocious in drafting at the position with the exception of Hughes. Right now, our D prospect cupboard is looking pretty bare...Jurmo may be promising but Rathbone is our best prospect and you don't move on from that unless you know what you're gonna get and you've evaluated enough. Rathbone hasn't played enough yet to make that evaluation. If we are going to contend, we'll need the blueline to contribute more as well as play well defensively....you can't have a whole D core full of Schenns and Hamonics you need guys to run powerplays and move the puck with high offensive skill.

This management team wants to stock the prospect pool, not deplete it further.

No love for Woo? 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

No love for Woo? 

Woo is a great prospect too, however not above Rathbone. Woo is a different type of player...more physical and gritty - plays a more defensive game. I think Woo pushes for a roster spot soon - or at least I hope he does. The fact that Woo and Rathbone are our only prospects worth talking about on the back end is troubling. I do like Jurmo as well as I said above. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 4

20 hours ago, RWJC said:

How would you feel about playing on a team with allllll the issues ARZ had and with the only intention of getting worse, purposefully. 

it sucks. Especially when you have the talent to be something bigger, but mgmt keeps trading away any of the pieces that could compliment your growth.

While I agree, do we want guys on our team who play for the paycheque, or do we want guys who play to be their best and to do what they can to help the team, regardless of circumstance?

8 minutes ago, kloubek said:

While I agree, do we want guys on our team who play for the paycheque, or do we want guys who play to be their best and to do what they can to help the team, regardless of circumstance?

I don’t think he’s playing for the paycheque. By all accounts he’s a character guy, likely just a little demoralized and justifiably so.

ARZ is the NHL’s landfill.

it’s where careers get put to pasture and any new ones built aren’t given full resources to execute. they only excel if they are significantly talented like Keller and Chychrun. He’s having a down year but I imagine on another team he’d be rejuvenated. I guess we’ll see soon enough (and how regarded he is by the price paid for someone to obtain him)

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

Sooo.... Horvat + Rathbone for Chycrun?

Horvat would automatically become one if not their best leader.  #1-2 center.  Stabilize their center depth for the future.  They'd still suck bad this year and end up getting Bedard.  Rathbone gives them a cost controlled young up and coming defenceman that can't find a spot on our team anytime soon in left side.

Don't want to lose Bo... But not sure we can keep him going forward anyway... Also, Arizona will want at least one high end player, so I don't think a Höglander, Rathbone plus high pick would be taken seriously by coyotes.

We'd lose very important center depth but man... If Chycrun can play rd... All of a sudden, we would have an above average defence. 

I believe we get better as a team overall but by how much?  What say you?

36 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Horvat would automatically become one if not their best leader.  #1-2 center.  Stabilize their center depth for the future.  They'd still suck bad this year and end up getting Bedard.  Rathbone gives them a cost controlled young up and coming defenceman that can't find a spot on our team anytime soon in left side.

Don't want to lose Bo... But not sure we can keep him going forward anyway... Also, Arizona will want at least one high end player, so I don't think a Höglander, Rathbone plus high pick would be taken seriously by coyotes.

We'd lose very important center depth but man... If Chycrun can play rd... All of a sudden, we would have an above average defence. 

Arizona is in a perma rebuild. They wanna rebuild the way CDC wanted to rebuild way back yonder. Only play sub 25 year old players. Only gather picks. Keller is likely next. Guy is almost 25 too. Old man in a rebuild. Which means, there is no way they are touching a fossil like Horvat. Guy is 27. No place in their rebuild.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Arizona is in a perma rebuild. They wanna rebuild the way CDC wanted to rebuild way back yonder. Only play sub 25 year old players. Only gather picks. Keller is likely next. Guy is almost 25 too. Old man in a rebuild. Which means, there is no way they are touching a fossil like Horvat. Guy is 27. No place in their rebuild.

Not sure about that... To win you also need experience... Look how long it's taken Edmonton... And they haven't gotten there yet.  Look how many years it took Colorado.  Not always the best formula to win with.  Bo is a good captain with great character.  He could really help those young players develop the right way.  

45 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Trading Bo would be tough.  Sending him to Arizona would be the most disrespectful treatment of a captain yet!

Just now, NHL97OneTimer said:

Trading Bo would be tough.  Sending him to Arizona would be the most disrespectful treatment of a captain yet!

Can't disagree with you there... But this management group didn't draft him and need to improve this team.  They don't have the same loyalties the previous regime had.  

10 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Not sure about that... To win you also need experience... Look how long it's taken Edmonton... And they haven't gotten there yet.  Look how many years it took Colorado.  Not always the best formula to win with.  Bo is a good captain with great character.  He could really help those young players develop the right way.  

Yeah I was being facetious. Even so I doubt they want Bo Horvat and literally no picks. Why would he re-sign there too? We gotta remember that this isn't NHL 23. He's gotta want to be there as well for them to have any interest in trading for him. They get no picks, get an older player and a LD that hasn't shown any real promise at this level. The only people that like Rathbone are his parents and CDC. Guy hasn't looked very good at all. And we are getting the better player.

Horrid deal for them on the ice and on paper in trying to retain Bo long term. If they move Chychrun it's for Pod, our 1st and maybe a middle 6 utility vet. Pearson to help even cap. Not Horvat with no extension who is a UFA at seasons end and not some number 8 one way d-man that isn't even THAT good at the one thing he is good at. I dunno man.

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Upvote 1