The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

3 hours ago, Maginator said:

For sure but if it means we have to take Zaitsev back, do you do it?

The function of that proposed trade is to exchange a $6 million dollar contract for a $4.5 million dollar contract, both of which expire in 2024; it’s not to upgrade our D but to squeeze out a bit of cap space, same as the purpose of trading Dickinson. If you combine that with another trade (Boeser) you can re-sign Horvat. If you trade Horvat for picks and prospects, there is money to over pay a ufa next summer to be our much needed top 4 rhd.

36 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm glad Zaitsev nixed the potential trade to VAN. Canucks would've probably had to retain some of Myers' salary.

Zaitsev would not be an upgrade, I'd rather keep Myers. 

Do you have a source that Zaitsev used his NTC to play in the minors over coming here?  Isn’t it Myers who has used his NTC? 

3 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

The function of that proposed trade is to exchange a $6 million dollar contract for a $4.5 million dollar contract, both of which expire in 2024; it’s not to upgrade our D but to squeeze out a bit of cap space, same as the purpose of trading Dickinson. If you combine that with another trade (Boeser) you can re-sign Horvat. If you trade Horvat for picks and prospects, there is money to over pay a ufa next summer to be our much needed top 4 rhd.

Trading Bo for prospects is a rebuilding move.  Won’t happen.  If we are trying to create cap it’s (wrongly IMHAO) to take on more salary coming back for older guys in hopes to compete right now. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Trading Bo for prospects is a rebuilding move.  Won’t happen.  If we are trying to create cap it’s (wrongly IMHAO) to take on more salary coming back for older guys in hopes to compete right now. 

We should have started rebuilding in 2012 when Torts correctly labelled our core as stale. I don’t think FA will allow a proper rebuild as he wants playoff revenue, although we haven’t been in the post-season much lately. I hate the continued mediocrity; contender or bottom feeder with a good prospect pool and cap space are preferable to a continuously middling team. This cycle of a poor start followed by a miracle run that falls just short and nets us a 15th to 25th ranked prospect is too f**k’ng depressing.

1 hour ago, combover said:

So Zaitsev rather play in the AHL than come to Vancouver lolololololololololololol

state of the franchise. can’t actually say I blame him. Probably should thank him. 
Seems like an odd trade we get some cap relief but really we should be looking for players without trade protection so we can flip them to. 

For all we know it has nothing to do with the state of the franchise, maybe he doesn’t want to play in Canada, maybe Myers didn’t want to go to Ottawa, it’s not even confirmed the trade was nixed by Zaitsev, tweet about it says may have. 

54 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm glad Zaitsev nixed the potential trade to VAN. Canucks would've probably had to retain some of Myers' salary.

Zaitsev would not be an upgrade, I'd rather keep Myers. 

Zaitsev makes 4.5 and Ottawa have cap space likely no retention involved. Ottawa has over 4mill in cap space and they’re getting arguably the better player in the deal why would we retain? 

• Upvote 1

Do you guys remember the year we got Myers? We had to overpay because there was an extreme shortage of RHD at the time and just like new cars, there is still a supply chain issue. Why aren’t we prioritizing RHD at the draft? I hate to say it but we need Myers on the team. This situation is so ridiculous. 

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I am not sure it does Alf, if trading anyone brings prospects and picks and opens up cap to either resign Kuzmenko or sign a RHD UFA, does that really mean a "rebuild" or could that be thought of as re-shuffling the deck? Aka reorganizing assets?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Myers has a “No Trade” too.  He is the one that would nix any trade.  Plus, Myers for Zaitsev is a very bad deal for us, unless the Sens were significantly adding

I agree I don’t want either of them. 
the rumor says it never got to Myers it’s was Zaits that poopoo it. As per Friedman. 
all I’m saying is if we can move Myers we should be getting a NTC back 

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Do you guys remember the year we got Myers? We had to overpay because there was an extreme shortage of RHD at the time and just like new cars, there is still a supply chain issue. Why aren’t we prioritizing RHD at the draft? I hate to say it but we need Myers on the team. This situation is so ridiculous. 

Ez way. Trade. Wpg fans really like Garland. Some are saying:

Salomonsson + 2nd. I take that all day

If Zaitsev’s contract was expiring this season, a swap for Myers (no retention) would have been a good deal.

With both contracts expiring at the same time in 2024, it’s a $1.5M AAV cap benefit, but it’s also taking on an inferior player (at least based on current roster needs). Less attractive trade, to be sure, but possible still worth doing.

Zaitsev and Myers are both negative value. Statistically, it’s debatable which of them is worse. But Myers at least has a profile that’s beneficial to our current D order. He’s big, can skate with the puck, can play very physical at times, and is a decent in-zone defender, at least in certain situations (his overall defensive game definitely has its weaknesses). But he can eat tougher matchups and defensive minutes (debatable whether or not he does this well, but he’s probably better/more dependable in that role than anyone we currently have to step in as a replacement, and he’s unquestionably better than Zaitsev in that kind of role).

I’d probably still take the deal (if Z hadn’t blocked it), if just for the cap space and how that might help future roster planning. Maybe it means the overall D is downgraded, but maybe not. Moving out Myers would force the team to either try out other players in Myers’s spot, or look to acquire a replacement option. This might, in the end, result in better overall performance on the defence.

Ideally, I’d hope a better deal can be made with Myers. Maybe one where we don’t take back a Zaitsev or similar overpaid, underperforming player. Or if we do, hopefully that player has a better profile than Z and is more suitable to filling a role on this team.

Zaitsev really wouldn’t be a good addition to this group IMO, other than the net gain of $1.5M AAV in cap space. Sure he’s RHD, but he’s really not the type of RHD that helps the current roster (especially one with Myers removed).

(That all said, management is on the right track, as far as looking to move away from Myers at this stage and acquire cap space in the process. Myers is definitely not part of any future contending roster in Vancouver, and all the players in that category need to be moved, whenever deals are possible. Especially if doing so nets a significant cap benefit.)

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

If Zaitsev’s contract was expiring this season, a swap for Myers (no retention) would have been a good deal.

With both contracts expiring at the same time in 2024, it’s a $1.5M AAV cap benefit, but it’s also taking on an inferior player (at least based on current roster needs). Less attractive trade, to be sure, but possible still worth doing.

Zaitsev and Myers are both negative value. Statistically, it’s debatable which of them is worse. But Myers at least has a profile that’s beneficial to our current D order. He’s big, can skate with the puck, can play very physical at times, and is a decent in-zone defender, at least in certain situations (his overall defensive game definitely has its weaknesses). But he can eat tougher matchups and defensive minutes (debatable whether or not he does this well, but he’s probably better/more dependable in that role than anyone we currently have to step in as a replacement, and he’s unquestionably better than Zaitsev in that kind of role).

I’d probably still take the deal (if Z hadn’t blocked it), if just for the cap space and how that might help future roster planning. Maybe it means the overall D is downgraded, but maybe not. Moving out Myers would force the team to either try out other players in Myers’s spot, or look to acquire a replacement option. This might, in the end, result in better overall performance on the defence.

Ideally, I’d hope a better deal can be made with Myers. Maybe one where we don’t take back a Zaitsev or similar overpaid, underperforming player. Or if we do, hopefully that player has a better profile than Z and is more suitable to filling a role on this team.

Zaitsev really wouldn’t be a good addition to this group IMO, other than the net gain of $1.5M AAV in cap space. Sure he’s RHD, but he’s really not the type of RHD that helps the current roster (especially one with Myers removed).

(That all said, management is on the right track, as far as looking to move away from Myers at this stage and acquire cap space in the process. Myers is definitely not part of any future contending roster in Vancouver, and all the players in that category need to be moved, whenever deals are possible. Especially if doing so nets a significant cap benefit.)

We should be waiting until the 2024 TDL to dumperoo Myers.  He will have positive value then.  

Just now, Alflives said:

We should be waiting until the 2024 TDL to dumperoo Myers.  He will have positive value then.  

In a vacuum, yes. But there are a lot of moving parts. And Vancouver has a pressing need for cap space. The return for Myers might be better in 2024, but a lesser return now could be worth it, just for the cap flexibility, and the ability to direct that money elsewhere to improve the roster. There’s also a chance Myers declines even more between now and 2024 and eventually he becomes unmovable.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

In a vacuum, yes. But there are a lot of moving parts. And Vancouver has a pressing need for cap space. The return for Myers might be better in 2024, but a lesser return now could be worth it, just for the cap flexibility, and the ability to direct that money elsewhere to improve the roster. There’s also a chance Myers declines even more between now and 2024 and eventually he becomes unmovable.

agreed.  Myers even at next years TDL isnt a premium asset.  If a move now frees up cap space to do something substantial + gives the back end a different look Im ok with trading him now.