The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

26 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Only thing acceptable to get back is a draft pick

Retain some salary and get a high pick

Dont screw this up JR/PA

If we were to retain 2M per year, Myers at 4 per is likely very attractive to teams.  If we are rebuilding the defence and essentially Bear is Myers replacement for now, I think we can do retention to get something decent in return.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

If we were to retain 2M per year, Myers at 4 per is likely very attractive to teams.  If we are rebuilding the defence and essentially Bear is Myers replacement for now, I think we can do retention to get something decent in return.

i think if they could have "rebuilt on the fly" by swapping forwards for better defense they woulda done it

time to rebuild the defense properly

retain and sell to contenders

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

i think if they could have "rebuilt on the fly" by swapping forwards for better defense they woulda done it

time to rebuild the defense properly

retain and sell to contenders

We are due for it.  I hope we take a step back and get prospect depth for our core trade pieces.  Mentioned in another thread that I’d like to see Bo moved in a package that includes Morrow ++, Miller moved in a package that includes Cuelemans + and Demko moved in a package for Clarke.  Obviously the last one would be close to 1-1 but the others would include many more pieces come to us. An RD of Clarke, Morrow, Cuelemans, Bear would be a game changer for us.

The benefit of those targets are that they meet the need but are also with teams that have very strong RD depth.

Just ready for the first show to drop to show that they are heading in that direction.

• Like 1

The fact that the Myers for Zaitsev deal fell through gives me even less faith in this management group. They firstly identify a terrible deal which somehow makes our already-weak defence even worse, then it doesn't even go through, all for around 2M in cap space. They seem obsessed with cap space and not so worried about the lack of quality on our blueline, and it's costing us every single night right now.

Myers for Zaitsev is such a nonesense, lateral trade which basically gives up quality for cap space and gets us another 7th defenceman, yet that got nixed as well. I really doubt we'll get any great defencemen at this rate.

We had a glaring hole on defence, and management's solution so far has been Stillman and Bear. Sure, Bear has done well for us with 20ish minutes a night, but these are 7th defencemen on their respectable teams.

I'm all for trading Myers, he's been dreadful this year, but we have no prospect in sight of acquiring top-4 defencemen right now, we trade Myers and we need to replace him with yet another one. Arguably he's been playing like a bottom pairing defenceman this year but we really only have Hughes and OEL in this defence, the rest are 6-7th guys on most teams (not just playoff teams). We're down two top-4 guys there.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like there's lots of RDs out on the market. LA have publically stated they may want to move Roy or Walker because they're so deep, Conor Timmins is on the market, we should be right in amongst these moves. If there was ever an easier time to fill a positional need it should be now. Let's see what management can come up with. Flip Myers and we can replace him with a couple of decent RDs.

I'd love to do a Schmidt-like flip where we trade Myers for a 2nd or 3rd (eg. to Toronto) then use that pick to acquire someone like Roy from LA. Or even better - Garland for Roy, 2nd for Peeke, Myers for 2nd, then we're rolling.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Sounds like there's lots of RDs out on the market. LA have publically stated they may want to move Roy or Walker because they're so deep, Conor Timmins is on the market, we should be right in amongst these moves. If there was ever an easier time to fill a positional need it should be now. Let's see what management can come up with. Flip Myers and we can replace him with a couple of decent RDs.

I'd love to do a Schmidt-like flip where we trade Myers for a 2nd or 3rd (eg. to Toronto) then use that pick to acquire someone like Roy from LA. Or even better - Garland for Roy, 2nd for Peeke, Myers for 2nd, then we're rolling.

LA isn't trading with us.   

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Why does everybody think we can get a second or third FOR Myers. We would be lucky to only have to spend a second to move Myers. 

Yup.  But at the 2024 TDL (his UFA year) Myers should have value, especially if we retain 50%.  

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Wonder what it would take to snag Conor Timmins.  He was a highly regarded two way RD, but has a recent injury history.  Could be someone who evolves with our hopeful new core.

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Why does everybody think we can get a second or third FOR Myers. We would be lucky to only have to spend a second to move Myers. 

Depends on what's coming back. If we for example take on Muzzin's LTIRetirement in exchange, that has value.

Edited by aGENT

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The fact that the Myers for Zaitsev deal fell through gives me even less faith in this management group. They firstly identify a terrible deal which somehow makes our already-weak defence even worse, then it doesn't even go through, all for around 2M in cap space. They seem obsessed with cap space and not so worried about the lack of quality on our blueline, and it's costing us every single night right now.

Myers for Zaitsev is such a nonesense, lateral trade which basically gives up quality for cap space and gets us another 7th defenceman, yet that got nixed as well. I really doubt we'll get any great defencemen at this rate.

We had a glaring hole on defence, and management's solution so far has been Stillman and Bear. Sure, Bear has done well for us with 20ish minutes a night, but these are 7th defencemen on their respectable teams.

I'm all for trading Myers, he's been dreadful this year, but we have no prospect in sight of acquiring top-4 defencemen right now, we trade Myers and we need to replace him with yet another one. Arguably he's been playing like a bottom pairing defenceman this year but we really only have Hughes and OEL in this defence, the rest are 6-7th guys on most teams (not just playoff teams). We're down two top-4 guys there.

Because this isn't about fixing today's defense, is about fixing tomorrow's.

10 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

If you are retaining past 2022/23 season, I just wouldn't do it UNLESS we get something good back. We DO NEED a longterm answer at RHD beside Hughes but being able to find a suitable dman for 4m would be hard, and as you said, Myers is a deal at 4m. Free up the cap by jettisoning Beoser.  I love Schenn, but he is best suited to a 6/7 position at this point. And at 7, he would still probably get 40+ games a year with injuries and such.

Hughes-FA/Trade RHD

OEL-Bear

Rathbone/Burroughs-Myers

That is a good lineup IF we actually have them playing a proper system with adequate coaching.

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Because this isn't about fixing today's defense, is about fixing tomorrow's.

Yes, but we will probably get nothing back, so what's the point of getting the1.5m in free Cap for Zaitsev in 2023/2024? IF we are rebuilding, just keep Myers until TDL 2024 and get some value. Beoser should be the cap relief valve we should take advantage of now; 6.65m without probably having to retain OR taking a crap contract back.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Another Leaf D man down.

More cap opened up. They may even be desperate enough for Myers for future considerations. Win win. Get it done. 

Technically not possible unless season ending but it doesn't sound like it's the case.  The trade has to be cap in / cap out and possibly even with retention.  Can't really see Vancouver wanting to retain given that 2nd year.

Edited by mll