The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Kyle Clifford

20 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If TOR traded Marner for a goaltender and a Dman, they might actually do something, but they won't. :towel:

I don't feel like they even need to give up such a big piece. Honestly a 1st round pick and Kerfoot will likely be enough to land them a big solid defensive defenseman to help steady out their D.

Goaltending is trickier and I'm not sure much is available really. I would honestly run with with what they have (maybe add another backup if you can get one for cheap) and hope their starter finds his game again. 

On paper their team should win a playoff round, but if it actually finally happens I guess we'll see lol

I made the mistake of looking at thescores hockey news, Whoever the leaf homers who work for that company are made me laugh. 
They think they can get :

Chychrun + Kessel 50% retained for 1st + robertson + kerfoot + holl

This is worse then the raymond ballard and a 3rd!

4 hours ago, Bobby James said:

I don't feel like they even need to give up such a big piece. Honestly a 1st round pick and Kerfoot will likely be enough to land them a big solid defensive defenseman to help steady out their D.

Goaltending is trickier and I'm not sure much is available really. I would honestly run with with what they have (maybe add another backup if you can get one for cheap) and hope their starter finds his game again. 

On paper their team should win a playoff round, but if it actually finally happens I guess we'll see lol

They have no choice. They have zero cap!  No way on this jolly earth will they be able to fit a proper defencemen under their current cap without giving up one of their major pieces!

18 hours ago, sassbs said:

They have no choice. They have zero cap!  No way on this jolly earth will they be able to fit a proper defencemen under their current cap without giving up one of their major pieces!

Isn't Muzzin hurt now though and for a while? Can't they do the Tampa method and use his cap space for a new player now then bring Muzzin back when the playoffs start and then being over the cap won't matter. 

On 3/9/2022 at 1:49 PM, Bobby James said:

Getting rid of a lazy floater like Marner is addition via subtraction.  They still need three more actual NHL quality blueliners other than Muzzin, Brodie, and Lybushkin, along with a starting goalie.  Kerfoot doesn't clear nearly enough cap and they need the first as a sweetener to get rid of Rielly or Marner.

They're screwed thanks to the unqualified clown they have as a GM.

21 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Getting rid of a lazy floater like Marner is addition via subtraction.  They still need three more actual NHL quality blueliners other than Muzzin, Brodie, and Lybushkin, along with a starting goalie.  Kerfoot doesn't clear nearly enough cap and they need the first as a sweetener to get rid of Rielly or Marner.

They're screwed thanks to the unqualified clown they have as a GM.

Um...look I don't love the Leafs, but you clearly hate them (lol not that I mind). 

But you are clearly not evaluating their team very honestly right now. Sandin is a great young mobile dman who will get better and Morgan Rielly is having another excellent offensive season. They just need a solid denfensive guy to play with him (kinda like Vancouver who is looking for a partner for Hughes). 

So yeah I think they need to make a move or two at the deadline to steady the backend out, I don't think they need to be unloading players like Marner and Rielly and giving up a 1st round pick just to do that. Seems like a strange strategy. 

30 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Um...look I don't love the Leafs, but you clearly hate them (lol not that I mind). 

But you are clearly not evaluating their team very honestly right now. Sandin is a great young mobile dman who will get better and Morgan Rielly is having another excellent offensive season. They just need a solid denfensive guy to play with him (kinda like Vancouver who is looking for a partner for Hughes). 

So yeah I think they need to make a move or two at the deadline to steady the backend out, I don't think they need to be unloading players like Marner and Rielly and giving up a 1st round pick just to do that. Seems like a strange strategy. 

Rielly is so bad in his own zone that he is nowhere close to belonging in the NHL, and Sandin isn't much better.  Both are making liabilities.  Marner doesn't care about winning and refuses to even approach an acceptable effort level.  You need to get rid of all of these guys if you're expecting success