The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in John Marino

4 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Kotkaniemi could have taken his QO of 6 mill and put up another year of 25-30 points and maybe make 2.5-3.5 million on a short term contract. If the 8 year rumoured contract comes to fruition he and his agent have leveraged his draft pedigree and potential into a guaranteed 9 years of an average close to 5 mill per year. All while not really showing much more than a decent 3rd line center in the NHL to date.

The decision by Kotkaniemi to sign this contract, shows he wasn't willing to bet on himself.  He will be 29, when this contract runs out and will have another opportunity to sign another contract, into his 30's

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That's tough to do. As we've seen with Hughes/Petey. Players want to get paid.

If get gets Brock anything around 6M that's a win. Would probably mean Garland's gone. We need cap flexibility and to address the future D succession. Could see them both gone too depending what we get back.

Sakic is a GM, who has done a good job of keeping his core.  Imo, it will come down to Allvins' sales skill, when it comes to FA"s and what he thinks, a cup roster should be build; does he see Brock, as an important part or a big trade chip ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That's tough to do. As we've seen with Hughes/Petey. Players want to get paid.

If get gets Brock anything around 6M that's a win. Would probably mean Garland's gone. We need cap flexibility and to address the future D succession. Could see them both gone too depending what we get back.

Is Garland able to do what Boeser does though?  He's in his prime too, and signed for a great number and term.  Would be nice to keep both, providing Boeser signs a long term deal for a lower cap than projected.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Sakic is a GM, who has done a good job of keeping his core.  Imo, it will come down to Allvins' sales skill, when it comes to FA"s

Sakic has good people around him. MacFarland has been credited with a lot of their capwork. 

Also helps having a guy like Mackinnon at the helm creating a culture of wanting to be the best and coming out and saying he'd sign for less to stay competitive. 

Also helps being a top team. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Garland able to do what Boeser does though?  He's in his prime too, and signed for a great number and term.  Would be nice to keep both, providing Boeser signs a long term deal for a lower cap than projected.

Both Juulsen and Marino, are the same age. Would prefer to give any internal option a legit chance before letting go of assets.  If Juulsen flops, then move on and acquire a Marino or etc..

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How do we keep everyone and address existing issues? Simply put we can't.

Boeser and Garland are our 4th/5th best forwards and the only other ones that would warrant good enough returns to address multiple concerns. If we're keeping Miller one or both of Garland/Boeser has to go. We should aim for a top 4 RD around the similar age/level that can help us now and moving forward on top of other things. For example but not necessarily a Marino/Kapanen deal that gives us a cheaper top 9 RW and a cost-controlled top 4 RD.

The prospect pool, cap flexibility and future at D especially. A good prospect pool and cap space gives us trade flexibility for maybe another Miller-type trade on top of being able to explore in FA and always having youngsters injected in. 

5 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Both Juulsen and Marino, are the same age. Would prefer to give any internal option a legit chance before letting go of assets.  If Juulsen flops, then move on and acquire a Marino or etc..

Juulson is bigger and tougher than Marino.  And we have Woo too.  

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

How do we keep everyone and address existing issues? Simply put we can't.

Boeser and Garland are our 4th/5th best forwards and the only other ones that would warrant good enough returns to address multiple concerns. If we're keeping Miller one or both of Garland/Boeser has to go. We should aim for a top 4 RD around the similar age/level that can help us now and moving forward on top of other things. For example but not necessarily a Marino/Kapanen deal that gives us a cheaper top 9 RW and a cost-controlled top 4 RD.

The prospect pool, cap flexibility and future at D especially. A good prospect pool and cap space gives us trade flexibility for maybe another Miller-type trade on top of being able to explore in FA and always having youngsters injected in. 

If we do trade Miller then we should keep both Garland and Boeser.  We still have a very good top six with Petey, Bo, Hogs, and Pods.  And they are a younger group, who will still get better.  The Miller return might include a young potential top six winger (center) too.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If we do trade Miller then we should keep both Garland and Boeser.  We still have a very good top six with Petey, Bo, Hogs, and Pods.  And they are a younger group, who will still get better.  The Miller return might include a young potential top six winger (center) too.  

If we went that route possibly yes. Any route we go has risk but I'd prefer to do that.

However it sounds like they might try to extend him in the off-season. If they do then Boeser and/or Garland are my next guys to go that have value enough to address multiple concerns.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t think of them as all that comparable. Brock is pretty much pure scorer. His board play and playmaking have improved but he is the mood of a pure shooter with some foot speed issues. 
Garland is the super pest that provides offence. More of a passer, very tricky on the boards and draws a tonne of penalties. 
Other than both being wingers I don’t really see them as very similar. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Sakic has good people around him. MacFarland has been credited with a lot of their capwork. 

Also helps having a guy like Mackinnon at the helm creating a culture of wanting to be the best and coming out and saying he'd sign for less to stay competitive. 

Also helps being a top team. 

Everyone and everything has a starting point: Sakic & MacFarland were once unknown commodities and the Avs built up there foundational pieces through the top of multiple drafts.  As for Mackinnon, he has obviously bought in, on Sakics' vision cause Sakic has shown that he is a very capable GM: Sakic has built a contender with a legit farm team, to draw from for trades or etc.  Sakic took his time and understood the cycles a team goes through and ofcourse, the experience of being the captain of multiple cups comes in handy, as well.

If you look at Mackinnons' and other core Avs' player contracts - they all resemble the kind of contract the Penguins (Ray Shero) was signing his core (Crosby and etc): high value contracts WITH EXTRA TERMS, to lower the annual cap hit.  My main point: a good GM can recognize an opportunity or potential issue and will make enough good decisions to do his/her job well.  Ofcourse, a lot of luck is needed for any plan to work and Sakic has prepared well but even a well executed plan/trade can go south real quick: Duchesne trade and Byrams' current concussion issue.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Really hoping Juulson gets a legit shot before his FA

He'll likely become a so-called group 6 UFA this summer.  Any player who is 25 and has been under contract for at least 3 seasons and has less than 80 NHL games becomes a UFA - happened with Rodin, Kenins, Grenier etc.  He turns 25 this April and has 55 NHL games. 

I think Boeser & Hamonic for Marino & Kapanen is a great trade. I love Boeser but he is not playing well enough to justify his $7M + qualifying offer. Kapanen is a burner and scored at a 60 point pace last year so has upside. Marino is a good young D under a great contract. I think this makes us a lot faster and puts us in a better position cap wise moving forward. Kapanen is a downgrade on Boeser but can fill a top 6 spot saving us 4 million and we also get a top 4 RHD at a solid price. 

8 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I think Boeser & Hamonic for Marino & Kapanen is a great trade. I love Boeser but he is not playing well enough to justify his $7M + qualifying offer. Kapanen is a burner and scored at a 60 point pace last year so has upside. Marino is a good young D under a great contract. I think this makes us a lot faster and puts us in a better position cap wise moving forward. Kapanen is a downgrade on Boeser but can fill a top 6 spot saving us 4 million and we also get a top 4 RHD at a solid price. 

Sounds like we are going to extend both Boeser and Miller.  I think that leaves Bo as the odd man out.  And he's worth a King's ransom in trade.  Or maybe we Keep Bo too, and Garland is gone?  But Miller and Bess are staying because they provide skills that aren't easy to replace.  

I guess the question of trading Boeser is, is this year's Brock Boeser the real Boeser? 

I just don't get it. He was faster last year and played with more energy. 

Ppl should watch his clips from last year VS this year. I dunno what it is. 

Even this year, there's a big range in his play. I don't know why he looks so different in different games 

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I guess the question of trading Boeser is, is this year's Brock Boeser the real Boeser? 

I just don't get it. He was faster last year and played with more energy. 

Ppl should watch his clips from last year VS this year. I dunno what it is. 

Even this year, there's a big range in his play. I don't know why he looks so different in different games 

I think he’s injured ( which is a problem in itself if he’s injured a lot) the give away for me is how he has been deployed on the PP. They have him planted in front of the net as a screen  instead of somewhere where he can use his shot.  Wrist problem? Who knows… 

32 minutes ago, Darius said:

I think he’s injured ( which is a problem in itself if he’s injured a lot) the give away for me is how he has been deployed on the PP. They have him planted in front of the net as a screen  instead of somewhere where he can use his shot.  Wrist problem? Who knows… 

Wrist doesn't explain his poor skating though. The guy has no jump. Every now and then he does though which is so confusing