The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Detroit Red Wings at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 17, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Disgusting showing by the power play and Boeser is not worth his 7.5 qualifying offer and should be traded, he blew atleast 4 grade AAA chances in the second 

But,

What are you getting in return,(Not selling high)?  when teams want a clutch player in the playoffs but is not scoring clutch goals in the easier season when a team needs clutch scoring?

In a bind- Trade for poorer returns than hoping for, or paying big dollars on a new contract, or take the returns if he signs elsewhere as a RFA?

1 hour ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Disgusting showing by the power play and Boeser is not worth his 7.5 qualifying offer and should be traded, he blew atleast 4 grade AAA chances in the second 

Aiee, watching Petey repeatedly not shoot was so frustrating. Back to the no movement PP tonight. Miller, to Hughes, to Petey, fakes shot, back to Hughes to Miler ad repeat…..

Cmon guys Wings goalies have been hooked 6 of the last 9 games and no traffic in front and seemingly afraid to just put the puck on net. Bah…so frustrating

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

Aiee, watching Petey repeatedly not shoot was so frustrating. Back to the no movement PP tonight. Miller, to Hughes, to Petey, fakes shot, back to Hughes to Miler ad repeat…..

Cmon guys Wings goalies have been hooked 6 of the last 9 games and no traffic in front and seemingly afraid to just put the puck on net. Bah…so frustrating

It really is so predictable.

Like why are we revolving our powerplay around a guy that won’t shoot??

I’d rather put Petey in the bumper spot where Bo is, at least he might get off a quick wrister there.

Put Miller in Peteys spot and Bo in front of the net!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It really is so predictable.

Like why are we revolving our powerplay around a guy that won’t shoot??

I’d rather put Petey in the bumper spot where Bo is, at least he might get off a quick wrister there.

Put Miller in Peteys spot and Bo in front of the net!

100% It’s funny Petey got a few nice shots off 5v5 but not sure why he’s hesitating and not one-timing those. Used to be almost a guaranteed goal when he’d rip em from there. I like your formation, wish they’d try that

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I know it is time to move on but I still don't understand how much support Benning had a lot fans on CDC. The OEL trade was a terrible trade. We were finally near the end of the terrible Ericson contract and a couple of other bad contracts and Benning trades them away when they are almost over for another terrible long term contract.

And structuring Boeser's contract so he would have 7.5 million QO was another terrible move. 

I wanted to like OEL and maybe his poor play the last few games is injury-related. But, at his age and his current quality of play things do not look good.

Boeser I think will be traded. Not sure if it will happen before the deadline.  More likely it happens after the season. I like Boeser but he just isn't that good.

I also have been disappointed in Hamonic. Among other things, he is too predictable with the puck. It is an old adage in hockey that shooting the puck toward the net is never a bad play. But sometimes it is, as Hamonic shows. 

That said, the Canucks were unlucky not to get a couple of goals tonight. That ran into a goalie who had a good game, some bad puck luck, and some of the guys weren't sharp tonight. But the letdown is not a big surprise after the emotional effort of the Devils game.

I am sorry Stecher is not still with the team, Letting him go was, in my view, another Benning mistake. I am not sorry Juolevi is gone. He was a liability for Detroit tonight. That pick was another big mistake,.  

This team was constructed to be better this year over  last year, but not so much for the long term future with the cap pressures they'd be exposed too, as they couldn't even keep the same team they have now if they even wanted too and why i expect we won't be any better for at least 2 years. I understand without adding in ELC players to the lineup and trading vets for picks to fill the farm  that it is hard to be under the cap and competitive (I just hope the push didn't cost us our chance with this core)

Timing is everything Crosby and Malkin and McDavid and Draistl are still amazing, but paying stars holds back in other areas, but as long as a Canucks team is giving effort I am i ok waiting till they become elite again (as long as it isn't another 12 years)

1 minute ago, arsenalian said:

100% It’s funny Petey got a few nice shots off 5v5 but not sure why he’s hesitating and not one-timing those. Used to be almost a guaranteed goal when he’d rip em from there. I like your formation, wish they’d try that

It’s like they’re afraid of hurting the other team.

Like if one of there guys gets in the way who cares? Collect the puck and it’s a 5 on 3!

They need to just keep blasting the puck from everywhere. Nothing worse than passing the puck around for 30 seconds only to lose it without a single shot.

As soon as you’re in a board battle on a powerplay you’ve already failed.

• Thanks 1

This one hurts, along with the wins by Vegas, Dallas, and Edmonton.

And don't sleep on Winnipeg either. They're only 1 point back with a game in hand. And they have a much easier schedule than us for the rest of the year.

It was a valiant run, but they're running out of runway. Wish ownership moved on Benning/Green a few weeks sooner.

• Cheers 1

I'm staring to see a bit of pattern in this homestead

Caps, Bolts, and Wings all lost to the Oilers. Only to win their games against Vancouver.

I'm starting to think these teams are using the Canucks as their "bounce back response" after a loss to the Oilers 

Buffalo also lost tonight. So there's a chance Buffalo could come in hungry to "avenge their loss"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

i have no idea why EP all season is the player singled out to play with whatever leftovers on the roster.. he has played with chiasson dickinson lammiko motte petan bailey dowling more than any other so call top 6 players.. and it's not even close.. he's put in a position to try and create/score by himself too often by coaching

The guess is because he makes them better and it creates at least a decent line.  Putting the weaker players together would make for too weak of a line which could be exploited.  Miller and Horvat take on the tougher matchups so he can't as easily put them on those lines.  

Ahead of the Toronto game Boudreau was on the Kyper & Bourne podcast saying that he's mostly been playing him with 3rd liners and that he just makes them better - he cited Garland/Podkolzin but would think it's the same idea for playing him with whoever is left.

That was a frustrating game. Was waiting for Pettersson to be put with better linemates, as he was one of our only forwards who was creating. Demko was great, but left the five hole way too open on the shorthanded goal. So many passes for scoring opportunities went over players' sticks. 

Edited by Nave