The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Travis Hamonic to Senators for 2022 3rd-round pick

2 hours ago, Nucks780 said:

Why couldnt it be poolman instead. I liked hamonic lol

I liked Ham too but something was off with him here. I like Poolman at that price. Next for me would be OEL at 3M retained maybe. Adding 4M to the cap. Dickinson for a 5th rounder would save another 3M.

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I liked Ham too but something was off with him here. I like Poolman at that price. Next for me would be OEL at 3M retained maybe. Adding 4M to the cap. Dickinson for a 5th rounder would save another 3M.

Let's not retain long-term on any contract.  We already  allowed Gillis and Benning to cripple the franchise by doing so.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Frankly amazed they got anything of significance back for Hamonic, especially after this season’s shenanigans, and him passing though waivers.

Would’ve pegged him somewhere closer to negative value (ie: possibly needing a sweetener to ship out the full weight of his deal).

Especially since there’s still a year remaining on that $3M AAV contract.

And the Canucks having known cap issues and needing to dump some salary.

Thank you, Ottawa! :) 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I'd rather OEL for 5 more seasons over dead cap for 5 more seasons.  Any GM who decides eating salary for that long is acceptable needs to be fired on the spot for even suggesting it.

I vote him for LTIR

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't want him for 5 more seasons. 

I'd rather use him while he's still a competent top 4 Dman and then try and dump him later then retain that much on him now. The only way retaining that much for that long makes any sense is if we can find someone to fill his role for under 4 million dollars for as long as we're retaining salary, and find that person without giving up anything. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'd rather use him while he's still a competent top 4 Dman and then try and dump him later then retain that much on him now. The only way retaining that much for that long makes any sense is if we can find someone to fill his role for under 4 million dollars for as long as we're retaining salary, and find that person without giving up anything. 

He's getting paid top pair minutes, I think we need a top pair dman. No facsimiles. 

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Can we get a 5th rounder for him. Can a team afford his 7M for 5 more seasons? 

I'm fine with throwing in a small sweetener or taking back a bad contract who might work out better here, but any salary retention is simply not acceptable.

Edited by King Heffy

11 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Frankly amazed they got anything of significance back for Hamonic, especially after this season’s shenanigans, and him passing though waivers.

Would’ve pegged him somewhere closer to negative value (ie: possibly needing a sweetener to ship out the full weight of his deal).

Especially since there’s still a year remaining on that $3M AAV contract.

And the Canucks having known cap issues and needing to dump some salary.

Thank you, Ottawa! :) 

Yeah, and add to that, the Canucks don’t retain any salary for Hamonic. Ottawa takes all of it, AND they send a third to us for taking him? Huh.

43 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Not so sure.  I think Juulsen has impressed enough during his 7 games with us that management is comfortable making him our 3rd pairing RHD.  Poolman might be on the block.

Juulsen will be UFA this offseason.  There’s no guarantee he re-signs with the Canucks 

49 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Can anyone please enlighten me.... Why did we get rid of Hamonic and then get Dermott when Hamonic is bigger, tougher, and got more points production??!! This is an obvious downgrade just to get $1.5M in cap savings!!

It’s one of those change of scenery trades that could pan out great if the player gets motivated by this. He’s much more mobile and only 25. This will be his second team so it should be his best opportunity to make something of himself, as soon as you start going on your third, fourth team, you are a journeyman Dman

• Huggy Bear 1