The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for 2023 4th-round pick

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

No matter how you slice it on no planet is Motte more valuable than Boeser and 32 GM’s would laugh in your face even suggesting the contrary. 

The amount of hate Boeser is getting from these boards is shameful (imho) sometimes.  Implying that a plumber who can PK and provides some energy , guys that are a dime a dozen, is a better player than someone that has put up .8ppg over a career is a real head scratcher (and I think Hammer is a pretty good poster outside of his views on Brock Boeser)  .  The argument that Motte has the same playoff goals (when the games really count) as BB and as a result this puts him on some equal or better footing is not a good argument.  Mathew Tkachuk has 3 playoff goals during three playoff runs - I guess Motte with his 4 in one run can be compared to him too.

Also if you look at Corsi and relative Corsi - Brock leads the team - and this year (even on a 20-25 goal pace) is a down year for him. Brock is also second  on the team in Fenwick and rel Fenwick ...not bad for a player some in here constantly pile on and is supposed to be complete garbage.

Is he worth 7.5 million - not this year.  Will he get 7.5 million - i doubt it...but imho the team has far greater issues like the bloody defence where only 2 out of 6 players look like they belong where they are slotted (Hughes and Schenn)....

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Boeser doesn't hit. He's too busy getting hit. At least Pettersson throws his body around when he can (too bad he ends up on the ice whether he's giving or receiving a hit, though).

Agree 100% about Brock. So overpaid for what he does (or doesn't do). As for Pettersson he'd better toughen up a LOT. Getting knocked down all the time during regular season play is getting tiring to watch. Playoffs he'll be thrown around like a rag doll. Kid seems like a prima donna.. seems to think he's better than he actually is.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Majority of people on this board wanted to trade Motte to avoid the coming $1m+ pay increase on his next contract. Anyone who thought that has no right to complain about the return now. The organization did what you asked. Personally, I wanted to keep him even at $2-$2.5m per season.

Instead we traded the 27 year old for a 10% shot at getting another Motte 5 years from now. Brilliant.

Be careful what you wish for.

I didn't want to trade Motte, but if you're gonna trade Motte, the team should be trading other pieces to facilitate a tank (if that was the case), and recoup picks.

We paid more than we received in this deadline, and we claimed a free player. Should we be happy?

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

The amount of hate Boeser is getting from these boards is shameful (imho) sometimes.  Implying that a plumber who can PK and provides some energy , guys that are a dime a dozen, is a better player than someone that has put up .8ppg over a career is a real head scratcher (and I think Hammer is a pretty good poster outside of his views on Brock Boeser)  .  The argument that Motte has the same playoff goals (when the games really count) as BB and as a result this puts him on some equal or better footing is not a good argument.  Mathew Tkachuk has 3 playoff goals during three playoff runs - I guess Motte with his 4 in one run can be compared to him too.

Also if you look at Corsi and relative Corsi - Brock leads the team - and this year (even on a 20-25 goal pace) is a down year for him. Brock is also second  on the team in Fenwick and rel Fenwick ...not bad for a player some in here constantly pile on and is supposed to be complete garbage.

Is he worth 7.5 million - not this year.  Will he get 7.5 million - i doubt it...but imho the team has far greater issues like the bloody defence where only 2 out of 6 players look like they belong where they are slotted (Hughes and Schenn)....

Only on CDC a 4th line energy guy who has never hit 20 points is apparently better than a consistent 50 point a season player. This place never fails to amaze me sometimes.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, mrturkish said:

Great trade Vancouver, you trade Tyler Motte 26 for a 4th round pick and then you decide to pick up 34 year Brad Richardson. Wow and we thought we were bad off with benning and green. Wow 

Richardson is 37

11 minutes ago, Darius said:

Everyone is pissed off at his QO. He won't sign his QO, it will be negotiated to a longer term with a lower cap hit. I think he'll come in around 6 - 6.5 over a 6 or 8 year term.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

we can't afford 2.5 for Motte, not with the nearly 5 mil in dead cap Benning left us. 

If you look at contenders, like Tampa/ Florida / Flamers they have 5-7 forwards at 4+ M and the bottom 6 are generally under 1.5 M with ELC players giving them great dollar value to compete.

Motte fits a 4th line role and could be 1-1.5M at the most. Paying 2M +just cuts into paying a top 4 RD what they're worth. Lammikko is actually worth more being a center for the said 4th line and he may be offered just over 1M

Myers/Poolman is impacting our cap the most right now so hopefully they can swing a deal in the summer to free up that space 

JR/PA have a pile of work to do this summer!

• Cheers 3

You all got too excited after the Hagel trade 

The Paul trade was the dagger in getting 3rd or better in any motte trade 

Would you rather they held onto him and watch him walk for nothing? didn’t we watch benning do that for 7 years and we were screaming “SHOULDA TRADED HIM FOR ANYTHING!” 

4 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

If you look at contenders, like Tampa/ Florida / Flamers they have 5-7 forwards at 4+ M and the bottom 6 are generally under 1.5 M with ELC players giving them great dollar value to compete.

Motte fits a 4th line role and could be 1-1.5M at the most. Paying 2M +just cuts into paying a top 4 RD what they're worth. Lammikko is actually worth more being a center for the said 4th line and he may be offered just over 1M

Myers/Poolman is impacting our cap the most right now so hopefully they can swing a deal in the summer to free up that space 

JR/PA have a pile of work to do this summer!

bingo. We didn't have the luxury of 2.5 for a 4th liner this time out. 

I think, what always amazes me most on this board, is how many people on this forum, have ZERO idea of what a player is worth, or what it takes to run a team, especially in a salary cap!

Going to miss Motte, but the only reason that we traded him was because he was asking too much on extension.

I'd rather have a 4th round pick than Motte north of 2.5 million per season.

4th Round Pick = another good, young, 4th line center from any cap strapped team.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

So, you are not a fan.  Got it.

Simple labels for simple minds. 

Been a fan since they came I to the league.  See enough to know when a team has issues.  When you grow up, you may see the light. 

• Vintage 1