The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How did JR/PA do on TDL 2022? (10 being best, 1 being worst)

Rate this topic

HKSR

Scale of 1 - 10, how did JR/PA do on TDL 2022?  

251 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Would you have preferred if they let him walk away for nothing?

Also, who/what are you talking about?

Management got lowballed by New York, and accepted the offer. Saying they weren't going to accept low offers for Motte.  Why not keep Motte and find a way to drop some other dead cap in the off-season.  Why wait until the last minute to negotiate with his agents.

With four assistant GM's the best they could muster is a late 4th?  

If Benning traded Vanek for 5th he would have been shot out of a cannon.

7 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Tanev and Toffoli should have been resigned that offseason; we had the money (JV, Hamonic, buyouts).

A decision on Markstrom vs Demko should have been made in the season, and he should have been shipped off to the highest bidder. I hate saying this, but what would Edmonton have given for his services and rights that year? Maybe RNH+1/2nd?

In motte, we received a 4th that is just a prayer in the draft. A 3rd only got us the rights to see if a underperforming player can turn it around for 600k over minimum. At best, we get a 3rd pairing Dman at good compensation; worst, another contract we'd like to have back (all be it not a huge $).

But they weren’t, were they?

and we lost out on a potential  1st round pick + by not having an asset in Toffoli to trade. (Based on his performance being the same here as in MTL).

asset management isn’t just the high profile $hit. It’s the nitty gritty, the fine details. 

Should Dermott magically evolve  into a top 4 Dman  next season and we move him for a 1st or a 2nd or part of a package, what would you say then?? Guess what, we now have the potential for that.  
That 4th received for Motte? Again, another piece to help solve the puzzle.

better than nothing at all.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Management got lowballed by New York, and accepted the offer. Saying they weren't going to accept low offers for Motte.  Why not keep Motte and find a way to drop some other dead cap in the off-season.  Why wait until the last minute to negotiate with his agents.

With four assistant GM's the best they could muster is a late 4th?  

If Benning traded Vanek for 5th he would have been shot out of a cannon.

Motte had the entire year to sign a contract. To agree to terms.

This is as much his choice as it is managements. You have to approach it just like he did…a business move.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

They weren't nearly as terrible as Chiasson and Petan.  While they weren't great, they at least weren't worse than useless and were mostly unnoticeable.  That's an upgrade over guys who are hurting the team every time they step onto the ice.

To a point I totally agree.

to me they are all the same though. 
you shouldn’t expect anything from any call up because if they were NHL worthy to begin with, they’d already have a place with the club or as a healthy scratch reserve. 

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Richardson replaces Motte who they lost. It’s not a net gain. It’s a loss in talent. Petan will still be in the lineup tomorrow. 

actually Lammikko can be 3C and Richardson 4C for the rest of the year, giving some of our AHL guys opportunities on the wing. 

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

To a point I totally agree.

to me they are all the same though. 
you shouldn’t expect anything from any call up because if they were NHL worthy to begin with, they’d already have a place with the club or as a healthy scratch reserve. 

Which is why we should have picked up a serviceable guy or two since we clearly don't have enough.

16 minutes ago, RWJC said:

You’re purposely glazing over the most important part…asset management.

we got a pick for a guy who wanted to walk into UFA status. Takes two to tango, EP

Also, I don’t think you were in the war room today were you, haha?

I highly doubt any decent offer came in for anyone that could be potentially moved for a great return.

look at the deals that were made.

arguably, MAF is the highest profile. A 37 year old G. Or Giroux.

Amongst all that were support player deals. 

what does that tell you?

the market was potentially not favourable at this time and/or playoff teams did not want to invest heavily into acquiring a top 6 player right now that would cost them too much

Yes I was. Edmonton offered up McDavid for me and Allvin refused. JR was sleeping and Aquilini was busy buying some land in Squamish so the deal fell through.  :)

• Haha 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Which is why we should have picked up a serviceable guy or two since we clearly don't have enough.

We did. We picked up Richardson.

and we will begetting Hogz back.
That’s two.

Look Heff, I’m with you on this.

the problem is we are stuck because we aren’t buyers and we aren’t sellers.

Right now it’s attrition until the offseason where everything is on table.

Miller talk, Bo talk, Boes decision…

these are big pieces that define our next 6-7 years. I think you and I both are capable of waiting it out and giving mgmt the time to make the best decision and when allllll NHL teams are working on the same level business wise.

too many variables right now when it comes to other teams to actualize a trade in this environment. 

it’ll come, it has to. But at least then we will have far more options than we did this deadline.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

They suggested on 650 today that Allvin wanted to re-sign Motte with a number that started with a 1 but his agent wouldn’t bite. So anyone that wanted the team to sign him for $2+M can complain if they like. Everyone who thinks that’s too high for the 4th line should be glad they got something for him.

Today we moved the only UFA that mattered, we have a tiny bit more cap flexibility with the change from Hamonic to the kid with the cornrows, and we have the off-season to make actual hockey trades. No one even close to the calibre of JT moved today nor did any stud RHD. 

All in all I rated today a 5 for minor improvements and no costly mistakes. For me the jury is still out on the new management group until we see what the summer brings.

fair way to look at it. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

They suggested on 650 today that Allvin wanted to re-sign Motte with a number that started with a 1 but his agent wouldn’t bite. So anyone that wanted the team to sign him for $2+M can complain if they like. Everyone who thinks that’s too high for the 4th line should be glad they got something for him.

Today we moved the only UFA that mattered, we have a tiny bit more cap flexibility with the change from Hamonic to the kid with the cornrows, and we have the off-season to make actual hockey trades. No one even close to the calibre of JT moved today nor did any stud RHD. 

All in all I rated today a 5 for minor improvements and no costly mistakes. For me the jury is still out on the new management group until we see what the summer brings.

I'd be pretty ok with anything at or below $2.5 million for Motte to be honest.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, JM_ said:

actually Lammikko can be 3C and Richardson 4C for the rest of the year, giving some of our AHL guys opportunities on the wing. 

I’m really looking forward to seeing Bailey and Riccio’s favourite player Di Giuseppe in a Canucks uniform again. So excited.  ^_^

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Suggested that it start with a 1?

As in 1.0-1.9mill per?

if that’s the case then F this mgmt because that’s totally insulting. 
I don’t believe it though. 

Motte’s agent is going to gun for 3.5 

I’ll think he’ll get 3+. He probably should.

the real travesty in all this is we likely lost Motte because we couldn’t deal out Dickinson (although I imagine mgmt tried to do just that). I think that, aside from contract number expectation being too far apart, is why we had to settle for the 4th. In my mind, that’s why this played out the way it did.

Dickinson better evolve his game and quick because I blame that contract for this loss.

• Cheers 1

Motte for a fourth rd pick when a deal couldn't get done to sign him is fine by me.

Hamonic, a player who is in/out of the lineup and carries a $3M price tag being moved out is fine by me.

Dermott, a young, durable, reclamation-type player, plays both sides on defence, and carries a $1.5M cap hit for 2022-23 in is fine by me.

Clearing a net $2.725M cap hit for this season (I don't know if they can actually use this to monetize bonus payment due to Halak or not - maybe a capologist here on CDC can answer this question) and a net $1.5M for next season is a win.

Not moving out dead wood is a big loss.  Like Jannik Hansen says, there needs to be a move higher up the food chain to reshape the team. I suppose today wasn't the day that was going to happen.  Looking like something is going to happen to reform the culture of this team in the summer.  Coming out flat in the first period more times than not can't be sitting well with the brass.  That's on the players' leadership group, and they just haven't been good enough all season long.  If Demko hadn't been world class during the early stages of Boudreau's tenure, this team would have the same win pct. as they did under Travis Green.  The team as it is right now is just not very good, and JR/PA did little to change that today.  For that reason, I gave a five.

2 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Not moving out dead wood is a big loss.  

Thing is, moving them out means a team has to want to move them in. I'm sure they tried, but if there aren't any takers, then what?

The players teams were targeting were the ones we need to keep unless the right offers came in. Obviously, they didn't.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, RWJC said:

If they were deemed obvious upgrades though, and were adept at providing a boost to linemates, don’t you think they’d be playing? They’ve been brought up. Do you remember anything of significance from their TOI? I don’t. 
to use your term, they are also “plugs”.

guys you fit into the roster as and when needed for relief.

The problem we really have as a franchise is a total lack of depth. Both in prospects and replacement players. 
I really hope that changes with this mgmt group because to me that is a glaring issue.

100% agree; our depth is now our problem since we have pilfered it for today vs tomm. A classic example is Chaisson and Pétan protected, and letting decent depth/dev guys get chomped up on waivers. Those were assets lost…. a 4th for Motte is not. In addition, draft picks for players has created us having bare cupboards. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd be pretty ok with anything at or below $2.5 million for Motte to be honest.

For me it’s not so much the extra $750-$1M for him but that takes that amount off the table for signing JT and others. The new group already has inherited some limitations and I’m glad they didn’t add to them. I’ll miss Motte and his motor but sometimes you have to find a way to make the best hand out of what you’re dealt. The marketplace will decide Motte’s value and who knows, maybe we sign him again.

• Cheers 1