The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oscars Launch Formal Review of Will Smith After Chris Rock Slap

54 minutes ago, stawns said:

I have a higher bar for decent human behaviour........so should everyone

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

Not a single pet's n in here has said they're ok with will smith's reaction.  Everyone is in complete agreement there

You realize that the "G.I. Jane" joke would have been forgotten the next day if Will and Jada had just laughed it off or ignored it, right?  

Did you know that in this year's same Oscars ceremony the female hosts made a joke that Space Jam should be given an award for special effects for what they did for Lebron James' hairline?  Interestingly, nobody cared...perhaps partially because of a double standard about talking about men's hair loss, but probably more significantly because nobody went up and slapped Regina Hall for her lame joke.  

55 second mark:

Edit:  Slightly longer clip, but worse quality:

Edited by Coda

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Bill Maher is a well known proponent of anti woke culture.  He's a dinosaur quickly fading from relevance and is doing everything he can to retain any kind of power he might have had.  His comments were a bit so veiled condemnation of "hurt feelings"

Yep. I watch the show every Friday. I don't always agree with him, but I have a good idea what he's all about and he has talked quite often about how comedians can't say anything anymore without upsetting someone.....he and Jerry Seinfeld have remarked about how they would never again appear at a college campus....but...

He did not call Chris Rock as hero for telling the joke. He called him a hero for the way he handled the situation and I, for one, agree with him.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

Not a single pet's n in here has said they're ok with will smith's reaction.  Everyone is in complete agreement there

....and no-one has said that it's cool to mock someone because of a medical condition....

Will Smith was asked to leave Oscars after slap but refused, Academy says

Board of governors says it has initiated disciplinary proceedings against actor after he hit Chris Rock

The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences said that Will Smith was asked to leave to Sunday’s Oscars after hitting Chris Rock but refused.

The Academy’s board of governors, which met on Wednesday, said it had also initiated disciplinary proceedings against Smith for violations against the group’s standards of conduct.

Many have questioned why Smith was allowed to remain seated front row at the Academy Awards after the incident. On Wednesday, the Academy suggested that it attempted to remove the actor from the audience.

“Things unfolded in a way we could not have anticipated,” the Academy said. “While we would like to clarify that Mr Smith was asked to leave the ceremony and refused, we also recognize we could have handled the situation differently.”

The Academy said Smith had the opportunity to defend himself in a written response before the board meets again on 18 April. The Academy said disciplinary action for Smith could include suspension, expulsion or other sanctions.

more in the link https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/mar/30/will-smith-chris-rock-oscars-slap?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Board of governors says it has initiated disciplinary proceedings against actor after he hit Chris Rock

The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences said that Will Smith was asked to leave to Sunday’s Oscars after hitting Chris Rock but refused.

The Academy’s board of governors, which met on Wednesday, said it had also initiated disciplinary proceedings against Smith for violations against the group’s standards of conduct.

Many have questioned why Smith was allowed to remain seated front row at the Academy Awards after the incident. On Wednesday, the Academy suggested that it attempted to remove the actor from the audience.

“Things unfolded in a way we could not have anticipated,” the Academy said. “While we would like to clarify that Mr Smith was asked to leave the ceremony and refused, we also recognize we could have handled the situation differently.”

The Academy said Smith had the opportunity to defend himself in a written response before the board meets again on 18 April. The Academy said disciplinary action for Smith could include suspension, expulsion or other sanctions.

more in the link https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/mar/30/will-smith-chris-rock-oscars-slap?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

TBH, I think this is a bit of a waste of time....

The best thing for the Academy to do would be to let this incident die. If Chris Rock wanted to pursue it, he would have filed charges. He decided not to.

Will Smith, IMO, has done irreparable damage to his image (and maybe his career) and he knows it. Hence the apology a day later, after the self-serving half apology the night of.

But I don't think the apology going to work,....

According to a story I read today, ticket sales for Chris Rock's next show showed a significant jump after the Oscars. Meanwhile, regarding Will Smith, it was Jimmy Kimmell who said it best: (paraphrasing) "Last week there was nobody who didn't like Will Smith. Today, he doesn't have a single comedian friend."

Now, Kimmell's statement isn't quite accurate....Tiffany Haddish fully supported what he did:

“When I saw a Black man stand up for his wife. That meant so much to me,” Haddish told People magazine (via EW) after the Oscars. “As a woman, who has been unprotected, for someone to say like, ‘Keep my wife’s name out your mouth, leave my wife alone,’ that’s what your husband is supposed to do, right? Protect you. And that meant the world to me. And maybe the world might not like how it went down, but for me, it was the most beautiful thing I ever seen because it made me believe that there are still men out there that love and care about their women, their wives.”

The subtext there being, I suppose, that if you don't go and hit the guy, it means you "don't care" about your woman? :unsure:

Edited by RUPERTKBD

Hair comes and goes for many a reason how can it be compared to a disability?

A violent response to a hair joke isn't in the cards of a rationally dealt deck;)

Smith's off his nut to have done that, what if it was Wanda Sykes he hit?

Edited by Cat Man

17 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

See, I said the Academy is gonna start throwing the book at him after their lack of response to salvage their own image.

Where did you guys go...surely one or two of you will expend the same energy in outrage at Regina Hall making a joke about Lebron James' Androgenetic Alopoecia as you did about Chris Rock joking that Jada looked like G.I. Jane?  Nobody?  

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I think females with bald heads can look really good. I think Jada looks good.

I had a friend that had that style for years in the 90's. She was an actor and got lots of parts, very pretty.

My wife used to consider it. We have always enjoyed people brave enough to rock a different look.

And as far as saying you look like  a bald Demi Moore. Wow what a huge diss. I know many girls that would have taken that as compliment. 

Wow... so a woman suffering from Alopecia should be honoured and grateful to be compared to another bald woman.:rolleyes:

You say you know many girls that would have taken that as a compliment. And therein lies the problem... 'many' girls are not ALL girls.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
For the rest of you commenting:

Someone in Deb's status update made the comment about what it's like for the majority of women to lose their hair through no fault of their own. I don't suppose it ever occurred to anyone that perhaps Jada's husband has been privy to the anguish of Jada losing her hair and dealing with this autoimmune disease. Is it possible that her putting it 'out there' about her hair and shaved head (as some have trashed her for) was more about getting the jump on trashy tabloid 'reporters' taking it and running with it?

Also.... when women start losing their hair....for whatever reason... let's say cancer treatment.....and choose to shave their heads so their hair loss is all at once instead of patchy loss.... are they fair game for being made the butt of jokes by men? Just want to get this straight before I take my leave from this thread.

I said I was done on this topic in a previous thread but holy $&!#.. watching a bunch of guys weigh in on how it's no big deal for women dealing with hair loss and then trashing their husbands who defend them from hurtful comments in front of millions of people....is rather horrifying and &^@#ing disappointing, to put it bluntly.

Edited by Cerridwen
Spelling

4 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

Wow... so a woman suffering from Alopecia should be honoured and grateful to be compared to another bald woman.:rolleyes:

I didn't mention alopecia, just the aesthetic. I just said I think bald heads look nice. Men too,  I have shaved my head for most my adult life. 

I think Jada is cool and brave for the look. She could have worn a wig maybe. I have mentioned Chris' doc 'Good hair' it's eye opening. Have you seen it? Most black females weave in Indian hair or even wear wigs. I wish his little daughter had not felt sad at such a young age over her natural hair. He's a good man for doing that doc.

4 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

You say you know many girls that would have taken that as a compliment. And therein lies the problem... 'many' girls are not ALL girls.

I just think Demi was pretty in that movie. 

I know girls that think the same.

I didn't say all girls.

In a different reality Jada might have thought it was funny or even smart for Chris to compare her to someone a lot of people find attractive. I dunno.

I don't know why I have irritated you so much but it makes me sad. I have always found you really cool.

I did what you asked. My wife has read our convo of you asking me what kind of man i am, you told me to get her to read it. She thinks Will was way out of line and she would be embarrassed to be his wife.  I dont know what kind of woman you would think that makes her but I feel I am so lucky to be married to her. 

• Huggy Bear 1

47 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Glad you see the ridiculousness of your original logic. 

Obviously you lost your self imposed holier than thou moral high ground by resorting to threats.

37 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

watching a bunch of guys weigh in on how it's no big deal for women dealing with hair loss and then trashing their husbands who defend them from hurtful comments in front of millions of people....is rather horrifying and &^@#ing
disappointing, to put it bluntly.

Defend? it was an assault. Maybe you can call the physical violence horrifying. 

Just like Will said in his apology. It's not the man he wants to be. He was talking about being a better man.

This is a problem that men have. I know more men that have assault charges than I can remember ( 15 yrs nightclub work, granville). So maybe men in this thread can have an opinion?

We need to try to be better and evolve. We need to talk and have empathy. Chris' joke was in bad taste if he knew about her condition. But it didn't deserve a criminal violent act to be committed against him, in front of millions of people.

Edited by bishopshodan

45 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Someone in Deb's status update made the comment about what it's like for the majority of women to lose their hair through no fault of their own. I don't suppose it ever occurred to anyone that perhaps Jada's husband has been privy to the anguish of Jada losing her hair and dealing with this autoimmune disease. Is it possible that her putting it 'out there' about her hair and shaved head (as some have trashed her for) was more about getting the jump on trashy tabloid 'reporters' taking it and running with it?

Also.... when women start losing their hair....for whatever reason... let's say cancer treatment.....and choose to shave their heads so their hair loss is all at once instead of patchy loss.... are they fair game for being made the butt of jokes by men? Just want to get this straight before I take my leave from this thread.

I said I was done on this topic in a previous thread but holy $&!#.. watching a bunch of guys weigh in on how it's no big deal for women dealing with hair loss and then trashing their husbands who defend them from hurtful comments in front of millions of people....is rather horrifying and &^@#ing

Really value your input and opinions on so much of what we share here:mellow:!!!

In this instance as humans...how does hair matter so much so it becomes off limits to jest?

You take it, shape it, loose it, shave it, colour it, braid it, grow it, kink it, fray it, spray it, curse it, praise it, scrunch it, gel it, crimp it...on and on:)

Will tattoos be next...armpit hair...colour of my teeth...length of my fingernails...shoulder hair?

I'm an older man falling apart slowly who lost the vanity vibe a long time ago so to me hair loss is not a disability rather just another

human glitch we all share to laugh about.

Edited by Cat Man
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

I said I was done on this topic in a previous thread but holy $&!#.. watching a bunch of guys weigh in on how it's no big deal for women dealing with hair loss and then trashing their husbands who defend them from hurtful comments in front of millions of people....is rather horrifying and &^@#ing

This isn’t addressed specifically at you, but my problem is with people applying a clear double standard when it comes to gender.  Look up how much work Lebron has done to reverse his own hair loss: do you think he, or many other men, aren’t sensitive about their medical conditions?  And applauding Will Smith for defending his wife’s honour when her hair is mentioned…it would be hard to think of a clearer example of stereotypical gender norms and chivalry.  Is it once again off limits to comment on a woman’s appearance?  They can only be complimented like on 1950s tv?  I think some of the woke people today have forgotten about what past generations of feminists have fought for.  Including the acceptance in society to have women’s appearances joked about, just like men.  

Your slippery-slope argument could be applied to any mild joke.  Somebody jokes that Kevin Hart is short: does that mean little people or people with developmental disabilities are fair game to be the butt of every kind of height joke?  Probably not.  Every joke can only be evaluated by itself.  And this one, while maybe in bad taste as has been discussed at length, was pretty tame.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I think females with bald heads can look really good. I think Jada looks good.

I had a friend that had that style for years in the 90's. She was an actor and got lots of parts, very pretty.

My wife used to consider it. We have always enjoyed people brave enough to rock a different look.

And as far as saying you look like  a bald Demi Moore. Wow what a huge diss. I know many girls that would have taken that as compliment. 

I think you're missing the fact that she isn't choosing that look any more than a woman going through chemo.  She obviously didn't think it was a pleasant joke to be the target for.  

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

I said I was done on this topic in a previous thread but holy $&!#.. watching a bunch of guys weigh in on how it's no big deal for women dealing with hair loss and then trashing their husbands who defend them from hurtful comments in front of millions of people....is rather horrifying and &^@#ing disappointing, to put it bluntly.

you're one of my favourite posters on here so please take this in that light:

What Smith did was wrong, for many reasons. It sets a bad example and sets back a lot of work people have done.  I don't believe for a second that Smiths reaction was in defence of his wife, imo he was defending his ego. That was a demonstration to other guys. 

The Smith's have a massive platform. They have many options for creating awareness around her issues, and she also does put her life out there as a business, so she's well equipped to deal with anything critical.

I would defend my wife from someone attacking her, but it would have to be an actual attack. Jokes made at a celebrities expense isn't an attack. Its a joke. We can't be this thin skinned as a society because its just gong to lead to more and more division. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2