The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elon Musk Officially Purchases Twitter, Takes Company Private

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The irony is it's only really 1 reason why Tesla's on the decline. This likely would have happened even without Musk's antics.

Tesla's waiting lists are gone due to supply chains being back to normal since Covid. Meanwhile, they no longer have a technological advantage and are getting really strong competition. So it's more than just Musk, but it is still a factor nevertheless.

Only reason why Tesla is where it is?  Because of government subsidies/tax breaks.  Smells like Musk *HATES* government handouts....unless they're for his own companies.

"Rules for thee but not for me".

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Only reason why Tesla is where it is?  Because of government subsidies/tax breaks.  Smells like Musk *HATES* government handouts....unless they're for his own companies.

"Rules for thee but not for me".

Can't have competition catching up through the same handouts, you know.

• Cheers 1

Anybody driven a Tesla?  They are a superior commuter vehicle in pretty much every way if you have the ability to charge at home.  The biggest problem with Tesla is that the customer base thinks they need 500k ranges but only drive a few km a day. If people would buy commuter cars that matched their needs they would be much cheaper and easier to produce. 
They are still dominating a market that they created but others are finally starting to get in the marketplace.  Ford is the second biggest ev seller and it is a fraction of Tesla’s market before their truck is really out.  Their product isn’t as good either. Have driven both. 
Musk is a buffoon yes but the death of Tesla is really overstated. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/2/2023 at 10:53 AM, thedestroyerofworlds said:

He could have also used how massively overvalued Tesla was and actually invested in new models and redesigned existing ones.   Instead

183565401523801eddae05d2c24935d5fa6412ea00435236287a976ac9089566.jpg

Better still for a fraction of the cost of Twit, could have improved quality control and improved fit and finish, and streamlined production. Musk needs to learn his employees don't have to work harder and longer hours. Just be more productive, i.e. work smarter.

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Can't have competition catching up through the same handouts, you know.

How much does it cost to create a new industry? Governments wanted a EV industry and offered massive subsidies to achieve it. Tesla came out of the gate with the best product and people lined up to buy as they received, what ?, $20,000 taxpayer gifts? IMHO the question has always been whether the assembly of EV was unique from the experience and brains that exist at GM and Ford. The Euros, the Japanese and Koreans are all coming after Tesla. All this said Tesla will likely produce 2 million vehicles this year. They aren’t going away.

Edited by Boudrias

53 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

How much does it cost to create a new industry? Governments wanted a EV industry and offered massive subsidies to achieve it. Tesla came out of the gate with the best product and people lined up to buy as they received, what ?, $20,000 taxpayer gifts? IMHO the question has always been whether the assembly of EV was unique from the experience and brains that exist at GM and Ford. The Euros, the Japanese and Koreans are all coming after Tesla. All this said Tesla will likely produce 2 million vehicles this year. They aren’t going away.

I'll add that big oil gets government subsidies.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

54 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Tesla has the supercharger network, which is a huge advantage. They also have great engineering. However you are paying a premium for their vehicles. And they have issues on quality control, and production. They should try to improve quality and fit and finish. Get all the bugs worked out on building vehicles. Once that's done they can work on new models. Just my 2 cents.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

They came out with a good advantage and did the right moves, sure. However, that doesn't mean they get the advantage forever. I'm not saying they'll go away. I am however saying it's quickly becoming no longer a mentality of "Tesla... and then everyone else." Other companies have caught up. The Mustang Mach-E  from Ford for example has been doing extremely well and is right on the heels of Tesla's top 2 models in terms of US sales last year. So, to answer your question about Ford... they're doing pretty well in that regard and obviously have the know-how. It was just a matter of time and throwing their most popular brand name into the ring.

It sounds at least we agree for the most part though, correct me if I'm wrong.

(On a random note, Ford's made a number of controversial decisions lately that have proven to be extremely smart decision, such as no longer producing cars outside of the Mustang)

Edited by The Lock
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

They came out with a good advantage and did the right moves, sure. However, that doesn't mean they get the advantage forever. I'm not saying they'll go away. I am however saying it's quickly becoming no longer a mentality of "Tesla... and then everyone else." Other companies have caught up. The Mustang Mach-E  from Ford for example has been doing extremely well and is right on the heels of Tesla's top 2 models in terms of US sales last year. So, to answer your question about Ford... they're doing pretty well in that regard and obviously have the know-how. It was just a matter of time and throwing their most popular brand name into the ring.

It sounds at least we agree for the most part though, correct me if I'm wrong.

(On a random note, Ford's made a number of controversial decisions lately that have proven to be extremely smart decision, such as no longer producing cars outside of the Mustang)

Add to this.  This point has been made before in this thread. 

Ford has the f-150 lighting.   Chevy is set to release their electric truck.  And these trucks actually look like trucks.

Cybertruck, nowhere to be found. 

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Ford has the f-150 lighting.   Chevy is set to release their electric truck.  And these trucks actually look like trucks.

I actually did think of mentioning in that post funny enough but I was pressed for time. That cybertruck's not even likely to be "innovative" at this point. I'd even be curious if it proves to be behind Rivian, Ford, and Chevy in the end.

Edit: Just thinking out loud, but I think if Tesla truly wants to be successful with the Cybertruck, that truck's going to need to be cheaper than the competition. There needs to be a reason there for people to want it more than the trucks you mentioned.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2023 at 12:51 PM, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Rivians are in production as well.

Wait until the Van's start ramping up.

VW's ID.Buzz is cool, but waaaaaaay expensive.

It will be interesting to see who makes production first? Lordstown Endurance, or the Cybertruck.

Maybe someone threw a baseball and shattered the glass again.

On 3/17/2023 at 5:44 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Rivians are in production as well.

Wait until the Van's start ramping up.

VW's ID.Buzz is cool, but waaaaaaay expensive.

It will be interesting to see who makes production first? Lordstown Endurance, or the Cybertruck.

Maybe someone threw a baseball and shattered the glass again.

Lordstown had promise when announced, but even if produced I would be afraid to buy it, just don't have trust in the company if something went wrong (and things are bound to go wrong with first handful of batches).  Same with Atlas (who just finished up their funding) and canoo, etc. These start ups will be so sketch. Atleast the Cybertruck and Ram/GM/Chevy will have some sort of dealer behind them.

I want that ID Buzz, looks wicked but that price point is stupid high.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Russ said:

Lordstown had promise when announced, but even if produced I would be afraid to buy it, just don't have trust in the company if something went wrong (and things are bound to go wrong with first handful of batches).  Same with Atlas (who just finished up their funding) and canoo, etc. These start ups will be so sketch. Atleast the Cybertruck and Ram/GM/Chevy will have some sort of dealer behind them.

I want that ID Buzz, looks wicked but that price point is stupid high.

Isn't the point of those vans to be camp/adventure friendly? 400km of range (presumably on flat, unlikely to get that on BC highways) is not really enough for that.

I'm surprised a manufacturer hasn't come out with an electric trades van (eg. sprinter). Those are almost always driven in city and the trades people take them home at night. It's the perfect application for an EV. Gas is more efficient on highways and for long distance trips. Hybrids that can run on all EV seem to be the best of both worlds at the moment.

2 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Isn't the point of those vans to be camp/adventure friendly? 400km of range (presumably on flat, unlikely to get that on BC highways) is not really enough for that.

I'm surprised a manufacturer hasn't come out with an electric trades van (eg. sprinter). Those are almost always driven in city and the trades people take them home at night. It's the perfect application for an EV. Gas is more efficient on highways and for long distance trips. Hybrids that can run on all EV seem to be the best of both worlds at the moment.

Yeah I can see couriers, delivery vans, even some trades that don't have a huge amount of tools and equipment. There's so much development on batteries lately. Someone is going to have a breakthrough. If they can get batteries to double the energy density, and charge quicker. That will help EV's in general.