The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Current Odds of Making the Playoffs

Rate this topic

allegend

MoneyPuck has listed the Canucks' chance of making the playoffs as only 5.5%.

I thought it would have been around 10%, and with favourable out-of-town results

today, moving a little higher.

Tuesday's game against Vegas will be very big. It will be interesting to see what

the odds for both teams will be after that game.

38 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The odds are 100% if we run the table and go 9-0...

I don't think that's true. I thought we need help for the other teams in front of us to lose their games - for example, Dallas is ahead of us 4 points and we only meet them one more time so even if we go 9-0, if they win the rest of their games except for the one against us, they will still finish ahead.

2 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

I don't think that's true. I thought we need help for the other teams in front of us to lose their games - for example, Dallas is ahead of us 4 points and we only meet them one more time so even if we go 9-0, if they win the rest of their games except for the one against us, they will still finish ahead.

We’re not trying to catch Dallas. We are trying to catch LA and Vegas. If we run the table we would certainly overtake both of them. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

It's not true at all.  If we go 9-0 then it's 100% minus the probability of the relevant other teams playing well enough to still finish ahead of us...and that probability is significant.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We’re not trying to catch Dallas. We are trying to catch LA and Vegas. If we run the table we would certainly overtake both of them. 

Are you sure??? Vegas is currently not in playoff position so I'm not even going to look at them. Let's look at LA. LA is 6 points ahead of us, but we have one game in hand. So let's say we need to make up 4 points. We are only meeting them once more so even if we run the table, we could still be 2 points back of them. I'm pretty sure we need help to make the playoffs.

Are you sure??? Vegas is currently not in playoff position so I'm not even going to look at them. Let's look at LA. LA is 6 points ahead of us, but we have one game in hand. So let's say we need to make up 4 points. We are only meeting them once more so even if we run the table, we could still be 2 points back of them. I'm pretty sure we need help to make the playoffs.

Yeah with the way the playoff system is now it will probably be easier to finish 3rd in our own division than take one of the wild card spots held by teams from the other division.

He is basically saying we need to catch LA and also beat Vegas as well (if we catch LA but not Vegas then Vegas would be in 3rd for the division instead of us).

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 1

LA is so beat up right now that they're losing ground based on those injuries alone.

Brown.  Doughty.  Athanaisiou, Edler, Anderson.

All down.  Durzi is questionable right now as well.

Whether they're all day to day for real; like thee reports claim, or are going to be gone longer.  Only Brown is expected back this week and every game played without Brown, Doughty, Ahtanaisious and Edler is a possible win for us.

Dallas is also entirely within reach as well. 

We can go 7-2 with those two teams going .500 and we're in.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

LA is so beat up right now that they're losing ground based on those injuries alone.

Brown.  Doughty.  Athanaisiou, Edler, Anderson.

All down.  Durzi is questionable right now as well.

Whether they're all day to day for real; like thee reports claim, or are going to be gone longer.  Only Brown is expected back this week and every game played without Brown, Doughty, Ahtanaisious and Edler is a possible win for us.

Dallas is also entirely within reach as well. 

We can go 7-2 with those two teams going .500 and we're in.

No, I'm aware that we have a chance and it may be higher than what the prognosticators are saying. But if we go 9-0, it's not 100 percent chance as @Elias Pettersson said it was for us to make it to the playoffs. 

10 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

You need only to look at our division. We have a shot to finish 3rd by overtaking both LA and Vegas. Vegas is sliding hard so overtaking them shouldn’t be difficult. LA is also sliding.  They are 2-4-1 in their last 7 games. They aren’t getting to 98 points. Neither is Vegas. 

Like I said, if we run the table we are in. The question is can we run the table?  It’s a tall order. Who knows. 

4 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

No, I'm aware that we have a chance and it may be higher than what the prognosticators are saying. But if we go 9-0, it's not 100 percent chance as @Elias Pettersson said it was for us to make it to the playoffs. 

I was unequivocal; about 2-3 months ago about our chances of making the playoffs being essentially this.  Go on a nice run only to come short at the end or flame out spectacularly in the last 10 games.

Nothing we do from here on out will decide our fate.  it's literally in the hands of 3 other teams.  We can go 9-0 sure; but that 100% means nothing if the other teams involved don't flag and fall by the way side.

So much had to go right just for us to be here and we lost some brutally important and winnable games that helped us be where we are.

I still don't see it myself but i'll enjoy the ride over the next 2 weeks

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cleowin said:

Vegas has retaken control of 3rd pacific. La is now out of playoff contention for the time being due to tie breaker

That’s not true. LA has 86 points. Vegas has 84 points with a game in hand. Vegas has to win that game in hand to actually overtake LA. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I was unequivocal; about 2-3 months ago about our chances of making the playoffs being essentially this.  Go on a nice run only to come short at the end or flame out spectacularly in the last 10 games.

Nothing we do from here on out will decide our fate.  it's literally in the hands of 3 other teams.  We can go 9-0 sure; but that 100% means nothing if the other teams involved don't flag and fall by the way side.

So much had to go right just for us to be here and we lost some brutally important and winnable games that helped us be where we are.

I still don't see it myself but i'll enjoy the ride over the next 2 weeks

I've been on a game-to-game basis myself since the Detroit loss. So far, it has been fun. I hope the Canucks win out - it will make Rutherford's job tougher this summer as to what to do as far as extend or trade, but if he lives up to this reputation as Trader Jim, then he should be able to get more value.

• Cheers 1