The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion with Proposals] GM'ing with Multiple Priorities

There are a number of different issues for this team over the next few years:

1 - Fixing the right side D (in the short term, but also long term with Myers and Schenn expiring in 1-2 more seasons)

2 - Clearing cap space

3 - Decision on trading or resigning Miller

4 - Make the playoffs next season to give the young guys experience

5 - Get younger, bigger upfront, and overhauling the roster to be a contender within 2 years

I'd like to see us address all of these seemingly divergent priorities...

Issue 1: Fix the right side D

I would do this by trading some of our forwards to add two new Dmen into our system. One will be a proven top 4 Dman with good size and shutdown abilities to pair with Hughes. The other will be a younger Dman with a bright future who could play 3rd pairing next season but has potential to play top 4 minutes with OEL from 2023-24. Proposed trades are

To NJD: Garland

To VAN: Severson

To OTT: Boeser (rights)

To VAN: Jacob Bernard-Docker + 2022 2nd round pick (OTT) + 2022 3rd round pick (BOS)

Issue 2: Clearing cap space

Trading Boeser + Garland for Severson + JBD actually creates a lot of cap space, but we can create even more by moving Myers in the off season. His contract is expensive, but the Stars need to find a top 4 RHD replacement for Klingberg. Proposed trade is

To DAL: Myers

To VAN: 2022 4th round pick (DAL)

Issue 3: Decision on resigning or trading Miller

This is a real tough one. Obviously Miller is a key player on this team, but his age on a very large, long term contract is a concern. I would look to find our "Miller replacement" in the off season. And I believe that player is Filip Forsberg - 6'1", 205 lb, and scoring at 1.2 pts/gp this season. Forsberg at age 27 is likely looking for his last big contract, he will likely go to UFA in order to see what is available out there. Allvin and the Sedin twins in VAN should go hard and offer $9.75m x 7 years. We should use every lever that we have to get him, which includes making it clear he will be play on the same line as fellow-Swede Petey. They need to appeal to his Swedish heritage (working with Petey, OEL, Hogs, Allvin and the Sedins) and also show him that this team is going to be a contender.

Age is less of a concern as Forsberg would be age 34 when his contract expires. If we resigned Miller for 7 years he would be 37 when his contract ends.

If we can secure Forsberg it makes the decision on Miller much easier. He will be traded by the 2023 TDL. The return should be a roster player + prospect + 1st round pick.

Issue 4: Making the playoffs next season

This is important to give the younger guys some more playoff experience, and also to show Horvat and Petey (to be resigned within a 1-2 years) that we are competitive. A full year of Bruce Boudreau and also keeping Miller on the roster until the 2023 TDL likely means this team will be on track to make the playoffs next season. Important to note that Miller will be traded regardless of how the team is tracking.

Issue 5: Getting younger, bigger upfront, and overhauling the roster to contend within 2 years

If we are moving Boeser and Garland in the off season, and Miller at the TDL, then we are going to need some wingers to start the season and a young 3C to slot in behind Pettersson and Horvat after the TDL.

We want guys that have decent size, speed and grit. They should be able to play special teams and fill a complimentary role on the roster.

Proposed moves are

To VGK: 2023 2nd round (VAN) - compensation pick

To VAN: Nicholas Roy (try and trade for him but offer sheet if necessary, $3m x 4 years) 25 years old, 6'4", 200 lb

I would also look to sign these "young" UFAs:

Nick Paul $3m x 4 years - age 27, 6'3", 219 lb

Curtis Lazar $1.25m x 3 years - age 27, 6'0", 211 lb

I see Paul & Roy as an ideal duo on our third line long term, add in Hoglander at 3RW. These guys will provide the starch, shutdown ability and secondary scoring that we should expect from a contending 3rd line.

Lazar is a righthanded C/RW that will slot nicely onto our 4th line, can take draws, will hit everything in sight, as well as playing on the PK. He teams up with Lammikko, Highmore and Lockwood as our 4th line and 13th forward.

Dickinson and Poolman are both waived to the minors. Some team might pick them up off waivers. If not, they provide decent AHL depth in 2022-23. We have plenty of cap space so no need to spend assets to trade them.

The roster to start next season would be as follows (note the added picks, cap space of $4.2m before trading Miller, and Dickinson and Poolman in the AHL):

image.thumb.png.5117e73c21d0f1e3df1c7c8e9c89808b.png

2023-24 getting close to contending...

It is too hard to foresee the exact return for the Miller trade, but you would expect that it might include a middle 6 forward and he would be added to this roster in 2023-24 (instead I have pencilled in Hogs as 2RW and Klimovich as 3RW). There will also be $6.3m in cap space that season, so either the return from the Miller trade or a decent 2RW could be signed if required. The key reasons we will be ready to contend will be:

- Demko

- The continued development of Hughes, Pettersson, JBD, Rathbone, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lockwood

- Replacing the loss of Miller with Forsberg

- A strong 3rd and 4th line

- Cap space to add depth

image.png.08861f29eb56666bdc457f400f417800.png

• Like 1

Fitzgerald told LeBrun he's not interested in trading Severson - says RHDs don't grow on trees and that he's helping their team.  NJD think they've been let down by goaltending and are better than their record.  Can't see them interested in breaking up their D-corps unless a significant overpayment.  Severson is also interested in extending in NJD per Friedman.  

Ottawa is apparently going to try hard to acquire Fiala - has even been scouted by Dorion himself.  Don't see them bringing in 2 wingers.  Not sure Fiala wants to sign there though or Boeser for that matter.  

Would be surprised if Boeser gets much of a return giving his QO unless the Canucks allow him to talk to teams before hand so they can agree on a reasonable extension.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sign Forsberg.

Trade Miller.

Totally agree with that.

I could live with that.  I don't think Forsberg will get close to $10m.  That's a lot of money in this flat cap world.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I could live with that.  I don't think Forsberg will get close to $10m.  That's a lot of money in this flat cap world.

I wonder if Forsberg gets 8.5 x 7?   Can he play centre like Miller, or is he pretty much a winger? 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if Forsberg gets 8.5 x 7?   Can he play centre like Miller, or is he pretty much a winger? 

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Only a winger - never played C for Nashville.  

Yeah he'd be your upgrade on Boeser.  Which means Miller and Boeser both get moved out.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So Forsberg plays to six wing, and we (hopefully) get a young 3C for Miller.  

Garland goes for a right shot D of similar age and contract?

GM’s are lining up to trade right shot D for diminutive wingers I am sure. 

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good point.  And Boeser has little to no value.  Going to be tough getting the right shot D.

That's the reality of RHD.  They're extremely hard to acquire.   That's why I'd really not want to move Myers without a legitimate replacement already in place.

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good point.  And Boeser has little to no value.  Going to be tough getting the right shot D.

I am very curious what value Boesser has, I generally think like you that his value couldn’t be lower at this point.  
A pure goal scorer who has declined yearly since his rookie year, significant worrisome injuries that have clearly changed his trajectory and has not approached 30g since rookie year. 
Even at $6M I don’t see value there.  
I worry this one could get fairly ugly.  Frankly his agent would be nuts to tell him not to sign his QO and hope for a good year as I really don’t see his value being more than Garland’s contract. 

Boeser to BUF for (RW/LW) Tuch and (RD) Jokiharju

Garland to NJ for (RW/C) Bastian and (LD) Mukhamadullin

Miller to BOS for (LW) Lysell and 1st (2023)

Tuch - Pettersson - Bastian

Hoglander - Horvat - Podkolzin

Pearson - Richardson - Lockwood

Highmore - Lammikko - Chiasson

Lysell

OEL - Myers

Hughes - Schenn

Dermott - Jokiharju

Mukhamadullin - Burroughs

Hunt

Rathbone

16 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Has to come via JT.

Garland might get a RHD but not sure how good?

I don't think the Rangers are interested in Miller, but they are very thin at RW.

Maybe Garland for Lundkvist + Kravstov (he won't be playing for the Rangers).

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wants to save money on the cap.

Wants to sign FF to $9.75 million for 7 years.....

Well I did say "clear cap" not "save money". The only reason to clear cap is to pay the right players and have a little bit of flexibility during the season.

I'm not interested in saving money, it is much more important that:

1. Each contract is good value for cap spent (FF is 4th in the league for goals/game. He has 71 pts in 59 games. He is worth that contract. He is ahead of Ovechkin, Pastrnak, Kaprizov)

2. There is enough cap space for flexibility ($4.2m next season and $6.3m the season after, is plenty of space)

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

According to Capfriendly income of 9.75m in VAN is the same take home pay as income of 8.3m in Nashville, so I think we need to be offering arounds that number to entice him away from his current situation. Surely NSH will be offering about 8m+...

If Canucks are able to shed salary (trading Miller, Boeser, etc)…was thinking of trying to take advantage of teams that NEED to make trades like TB.  

TB has players making big coin next year (like Point)  and have to trade other players and sign cheap players.  And I think Sergechev will be looking for a big raise the year after.

The obvious candidates are Cirelli and Killorn. Cirelli is 24yr making $4.8M for 1 more year avg 40pts.  Killorn is 32yr old so Canucks wouldn’t be targeting him.

The less obvious is RHD Cernak.  He’s 24yr making $2.95M for 1 more year avg 15pts but hasn’t really played a full season yet.

Maybe Canucks can swing a deal for one of those 2 players.  Maybe offer Hogz + pick.