The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 14, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

No deal without Schneider or Laffy.   That's how i see it anyways.   A bag of pucks just isn't worth it.   We have Miller for another season just use him.   We always have next TDL.   And can worry about his contract another day.   I was on the trade Miller side last season - same with Pearson.   You don't get many chances in this league these days - best PP in the league last 36 games.   Just got with it. 

I agree.  And the Rangers aren't trading Schneider or Lafreniere, especially for a one year rental.  That deal was at the deadline and it never happened, so need to move on.  At this point we may only get scraps for Miller in the summer.  Best to roll with him and see what happens next year.  We can always trade him at next year's deadline if we are not even a playoff team.  Lots of options still.  No need to make a panic trade at this point.

Just now, Chris12345 said:

He definitely never had a 100 point season but at Miller's age he had more goals.

Yea I get it Miller is better overall but let's not forget Loui wasn't that bad before his arrival.

every contract is a crap shoot. I agree theres risk. there is with every player but Miller seems to elevate the play of the players around him. I like his attitude towards losing , I like that he has made Petey Boeser and now Podkolzin better players and that he has become a 100 point player. Those just dont come along often enough. we dont have anyone else at that level and some may argue Petey but he has yet to show that. I dont think you trade a special player you build around them. This is when the younger players you develop get to play with a player that shows them how to be good pros. This is when you have a leadership GROUP which includes players of differing ages and experience levels.

This is how a team that was out of things in December is back in the playoff discussion in April.

• Cheers 1

I was just looking and this might be one of if not the highest playoff bars in NHL history.  The highest ever was in 2014-15 when we got 101 points and Calgary just snuck in with 97 points and LA missed with 95 points.  The playoff bar has only been 96 points twice and the average playoff bar is about 93 points.  The parity is also down this year with way more downright bad teams.  Before Colorado in 2016-17, the worst season in the cap era was Detroit's terrible 66 point season...which is looks like 5 teams aren't even gonna reach that mark this year.  We also didn't take advantage of a couple of those teams which really hurts.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

He definitely never had a 100 point season but at Miller's age he had more goals.

Yea I get it Miller is better overall but let's not forget Loui wasn't that bad before his arrival.

They are like night and day though.

One guy is intensely driven and outwardly shows that. Sure, at times, he "gives up on plays" but from what I've seen, he generally is likely better to conserve the energy in plays that got past him. Very openly frustrated at times as his discontent was on full display during rough patches. Hates to lose.

One guy (Loui) was pretty chill from all accounts. Seemed content. Complacent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

If we could somehow dump OEL then we could afford Miller.  But as our cap stands now we are losing Miller, Boeser, or Garland because we have Benning leftovers OEL, Dickinson, Poolman and (to a lesser extent) Myers.  

Im thinking Allvin (.and his chipmunks) would like our D to look like:

Hghes, Schenn

Dermott, Myers

Bone, Burroughs 

I sure hope not. We're gonna get murdered...

Why are we losing Miller, Brock and Garland because of OEL.... ?

I'm sure we can afford at least one if not two of them even with OEL in the line up. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

That was the lamest response that only really managed to say "I've got nothing here".

Of course I have nothing I'm not the GM. It's actually a non hockey reference about finding the perfect partner.

No reason to put me down. Classic. Put down people you don't agree with when you don't get the reference.

29 minutes ago, stawns said:

And if he gets hurt before the deadline and they can't deal him?

What if he becomes a drug addict, what if dies in a car crash, what if he slips in the tub?... and so on.

hey I’ve got something good right now, but it may or may not be good in a few years, I’m just not sure. Aw heck, I’ll just get rid of it now, just to be safe...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Trade Boeser, Myers, Dickinson and Poolman. And if you need more cap space trade Garland as well. All those guys can be replaced. You cannot replace a 100 point player. 

Boeser should be enough to start with....

More players if we want get cap space as well...

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, CaptKirk888 said:

What if he becomes a drug addict, what if dies in a car crash, what if he slips in the tub?... and so on.

hey I’ve got something good right now, but it may or may not be good in a few years, I’m just not sure. Aw heck, I’ll just get rid of it now, just to be safe...

so this franchise has never had a player they should have moved, but couldn't because of injury, who then walked for nothing?

14 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

LE's environment on the ice changed significantly in Vancouver and he wasn't able to adjust.

LE played with Krejci who was an amazing playmaker.  In Vancouver his C was mostly Sutter.  Benning thought Sutter had more offensive upside and was simply stuck behind Crosby/Malkin - turns out he was solid defensive C and didn't have that untapped playmaking skills.

The Sedins play down low and LE too, was known for being a garbage goal scorer.  A forward had to stay up high and that's not where he typically plays.  The chemistry with the Sedins was overstated.  They played at most 4 games together on the international stage before he signed.  Vancouver was regularly in the playoffs so they hardly ever played in the worlds at the same time.  For the Olympics, LE was a late addition the 1st time and the 2nd time Henrik was injured.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Lol. I think anyone could manage on that security. 

That's like telling someone it's okay to continue to be massively underpaid for their skill set because they've earned well enough. Makes no sense. 

• Cheers 1

One thing people are ignoring that is very obvious to me.

"A team that's easy to play against".

Miller is a big part of changing that culture....and his snarly attitude has rubbed off. It's clear to me in how Petey now answers interview questions. How the team isn't concerned about being PC or nice...wear it on your sleeve. Invested and engaged. People who criticized him for slamming doors and f bombing his way to the bench don't make the correlation to how that translates in a good way, not just a bad way.

Bo too (through his play, not so much his outward expression...a subtle wink in the dot can send a strong message about "not afraid of you"). And others. I'm not giving JT all the credit...but not long ago, the team was desperate for answers. Their new coach provided them a platform, sure...but guys like JT never were satisfied with the status quo or acceptance.

When the team was in the dumps there was one guy clearly dissatisfied and unafraid to express it. To show it. To not be happy or complacent/resigned and, really, should he have been? Lashing out when the team got a raw deal during COVID. Going to bat is what I call it.

It's no secret I'm his biggest homer fan (well, and that other guy). But I've watched and been around hockey long enough to know that drive and determination is fuelled by passion and emotion.  It's the guys who still show emotion during slumps and losing streaks that I want on the team. Slam that gd door and let everyone know it's not good enough.

Nice guys finish last and people did not think of JT as a nice guy not long ago. Now we're seeing why that's ok.

And his attitude and emotion are seeping in.  No doubt, a big part is also guys like Schenn (and Burroughs) who'll lay it all out there to change the face of the game and not make us so easy. Demko's brilliance, that paves the way to feel confident. But that bad ass attitude  of JT's rubs off and swagger (confidence) matters. Don't settle. 

You rip JT out of the team and things suddenly go a lot quieter. I'd hate the team to slink backwards and not have an edge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

33 minutes ago, guntrix said:

You’d think that after the Louie debacle we’d learned that it’s not that easy to move an anchor contract. And that was only $6 million. 

That is a terrible comparison. Loui should never have been paid $6 mil based on his previous 3 years production in Boston. Just because he had a it of a bounce back season with a whopping 63 points (his career best being 73 points 5 years prior)

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, guntrix said:

That's like telling someone it's okay to continue to be massively underpaid for their skill set because they've earned well enough. Makes no sense. 

That wasn’t your original point. You said he hadn’t had a big contract and would be seeking financial security. The guy is rich.

and no one is asking him to be under paid. But there are plenty on this board saying will be too expensive and be an anchor in a few years....