The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Ottawa Senators at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 19, 2022 | 7:00 pm PT | Sportsnet Pacific

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

cut.jpg

CANUCKS VS SENATORS PREVIEW

TV: Sportsnet Pacific
Radio: SN650

MATCH-UP INFO

• Tonight marks the second and final meeting between Vancouver and Ottawa this season: Dec. 1 (6-2 W), Apr. 19 (home).
  • The Canucks have a 32-19-2-2 all-time record against the Senators, including a 18-8-1-1 record at home.
  • The Canucks are 7-3-0 in their last 10 games vs Ottawa (2-3-0 in their last 5).
  • Among active Canucks skaters, J.T. Miller leads the team in career scoring vs Ottawa with 18 points (9-9-18) in 32 games.
  • Jaroslav Halak has faced the Stars 18 times in his career (8-7-3), posting a .919 SV% and a 2.49 GAA.
  • Thatcher Demko has faced Ottawa nine times in his career (6-3-0), owning a .930 SV% and a 2.32 GAA.

QUICK NUMBERS

• J.T. Miller has 18 points (5-13-18) in his last 13 games.
  • Bo Horvat has 12 points (9-3-12) in his last 12 games.
  • Elias Pettersson has 21 points (11-10-21) in his last 14 games and is currently on a three-game goal streak.
  • Alex Chiasson has 10 points (6-4-10) in his last seven games.
  • Conor Garland has nine points (3-6-9) in his last seven games and is currently on a six-game point streak.
  • Quinn Hughes has six points (1-5-6) in his last three games.
  • Vasily Podkolzin has eight points (4-4-8) in his last five games and is currently on a three-game goal streak.

LAST MEETING - DEC. 1/21: VAN 6 at OTT 2

Tanner Pearson opened the scoring at 1:38 in the first period, assisted by Conor Garland and Luke Schenn...Tyler Motte notched his second goal of the season to restore Vancouver's lead at 2:38 in the second period...Conor Garland registered a two-point game (0-2-2) with an assist, while Kyle Burroughs recorded his first assist of the season on the play...Luke Schenn tallied the eventual game-winner and a multi-point game (1-1-2) with his first goal as a Canuck at 19:31 in the second period...Bo Horvat, Alex Chiasson (PP), and J.T. Miller (PP) all added third period goals...Quinn Hughes set a career-high with four points (0-4-4), while J.T. Miller recorded three points (1-2-3)...Conor Garland and J.T. Miller each had five shots...Tyler Motte led the team in hits (4)...Thatcher Demko made 19 saves and recorded an assist.

LAST GAME PLAYED - APR. 18/22: VAN 6 vs DAL 2

With a 6-2 win over Dallas, the Canucks have extended their win streak to six games...Conor Garland opened up scoring with a goal at 7:28 in the first period...Vasily Podkolzin and Oliver Ekman-Larsson recorded assists on the play...Elias Pettersson (2-1-3) extended his goal streak to three games and set a career high in goals (29)...Upon his return from injury, Brock Boeser recorded a three-point game (1-2-3)...Facing off against his former team, Jason Dickinson notched a goal and two assists (1-2-3)...Vasily Podkolzin (1-1-2) extended his goal streak to three games...Oliver Ekman-Larsson collected two assists while Quinn Hughes, Sheldon Dries and Brad Hunt each recorded an assist...Brad Hunt led the team in shots (4)...Tyler Myers led in hits (6)...Luke Schenn led in blocked shots (3)...J.T. Miller won 13 face-offs (65%)...Oliver Ekman-Larsson led the game in TOI (25:00)...Thatcher Demko faced 30 shots.

LAST 5 vs OTTAWA

• Dec. 1/21: VAN 6 at OTT 2
  • Apr. 28/21: VAN 3 at OTT 6
  • Apr. 26/21: VAN 1 at OTT 2
  • Apr. 24/21: VAN 4 vs OTT 2
  • Apr. 22/21: VAN 0 vs OTT 2

MILLER TIME

On Apr. 14/22 vs ARI J.T. Miller set career highs in both assists (5) and points (5) in a game. Miller is the 5th player in Canucks history with a 5-assist game and the first to do so since Markus Naslund (Feb 25, 2003 vs ATL).

Surpassing the 90-point mark while helping set up all but 2 of his team's goals in a 7-1 crushing of the Coyotes on Apr. 14/22 night, J.T. Miller (29-60-89) became the fourth different Canucks player to record 60 assists in a season and the first since Henrik Sedin (67) in 2011-12.

STREAKING

As of Apr. 18/22 Elias Pettersson has scored in three consecutive games (4-3-7), one shy of matching the longest goal streak by a Canucks player this season - J.T. Miller (4-3-7) and Bo Horvat (4-0-4) both posted a four-game run from March 20-26.

QUINN FOR THE WIN

On Apr. 14/22 Hughes (0-3-3) recorded his 10th career three-assist game and surpassed Dennis Kearns (9x) for the most by a Canucks defenseman. Seven players in franchise history have more than Hughes.

Quinn Hughes (6-50-56 in 69 GP) became the third defenceman in Canucks history to record 50 assists in a season, joining David Kearns (55 in 1976-77), Doug Lidster (51 in 1986-87) and Paul Reinhart (50 in 1988-89).

POINT CHASER

Collecting two goals on Apr. 14 vs ARI, Alex Chiasson extended his point streak to five games tying his career-high. Collecting two points (1-1-2) on Apr. 9 vs SJS, Alex Chiasson registered his consecutive multi-point games (2-1-3 on Apr. 7 at ARI) for the first time in his career.

WINNING WAYS

On Apr. 12 vs VGK, Thatcher Demko passed Ryan Miller for seventh-most wins (65) by a Canucks goaltender in 19 fewer games played. On Apr. 9 vs SJS, Demko became the first Canucks goaltender since Roberto Luongo (31 W) in 2011-12 and sixth ever to win 30 games in a season.

30 & THRIVING

Bo Horvat scored twice (2-1-3) on Apr. 7 at ARI to record his first career 30-goal campaign and became the first Canucks player to reach the mark in a season since Radim Vrbata in 2014-15 (31).

With a career-high 29 goals so far this season, J.T. Miller looks to join Bo Horvat (31) as the second Canuck to reach 30 goals.

Elias Pettersson (2-1-3) scored twice on Apr. 18 vs DAL to establish a new NHL career high in goals with 29 in 2021-22 (29-34-63 in 74 games), eclipsing his previous best set in 2018-19 (28).

The last time multiple Canucks recorded 30+ goals in a single season was 2010-11 when Daniel Sedin and Ryan Kesler each scored 41.

RECENT CANUCKS MILESTONES

• Elias Pettersson - 200 Points, Mar. 26 at DAL

CURRENT INJURIES

• Alex Chiasson - 1 game
  • Bo Horvat - 1 game
  • Tanner Pearson - 3 games
  • Tucker Poolman - 5 games
  • Nils Höglander - 14 games
  • Brady Keeper - 75 games
  • Brandon Sutter - 75 games

Total man games lost (due to injuries or illness): 414 games

Halak!  

image.jpeg.7d83f49b88ab0a3dcf8e43dc57b940de.jpeg

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Those gambling sites use math to determine odds.  They don't take into account which teams simply 'want it' more at this time of year.  For example, the Canucks have these games left:

Senators - mathematically eliminated

Wild - clinched

Flames - clinched

Kraken - mathematically eliminated

Kings

Oilers - will likely clinch by game 82

So what does this tell us? 

The Wild, Flames and Oilers don't have nearly as much to play for.

The Senators and Kraken are playing out their season for nothing else but pride.  Their fans probably want them to lose more to move up in the draft.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Canucks want this badly right now.  Hence the 6 game winning streak.  They're not just winning, they are blasting their way through the opposition scoring over 5 goals a game and letting in under 2 goals a game in that stretch.

The Kings are the only team the Canucks are truly battling with.  That game should have a playoff atmosphere.  All the other ones will have the hungrier team wearing blue, green, and white.

You got to be kidding me, don't insult our intelligence. Vast majority of gambling sites employ massive roasters of scouts who specialize in events and leagues around the world. These scouts then report on a daily basis of any player analysis, speculation, weather, etc anything of service to the gambling site.

Massive part of the gambling site revenues goes towards employing these scouts. This is how I envision it at least, I am not affiliated with any of these sites but it is ridiculous to assume they don't analyze mood, team dynamics, charisma, etc they cant use a computer for that obviously they got boots on the ground.

21 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

I have a good feeling about this group. Their sense of urgency and eagerness to win has gone a long way during this 6 game winning streak. We have a shot of making the playoffs. Not the biggest but we have a glimmer of hope. Let’s make lucky 7 tonight and finish this season up 12-0-0. GCG!

the Petey quote about playing scared once up on Vegas by 2 shows how much growth they still need to go through mentally including the young leadership core of Bo, Petey and Huggy. This of course is so reminiscent of the group that started 8-15-4 and blew 2 games each against DET and BUF. They are learning, I want them to make the playoffs BADLY but tbh, best thing for this group is to learn by not making it (maybe), think about it this summer, work their butts off and come back with a similar group and Boudreau at the helm. TBH they only major surgery I would do would be Brock out if he wants more than 5.25 mill per year right now. We need a 2nd pair RHD and tbh, that is all when this team is healthy.

Podz looking like top 6 elite two winger in future, Dickie might turn out ok after all - he was a solid NHLer in Dallas for a long time...

I think giving Boudreaux an extension now would actually be great immediately for morale for all, not bringing him back after the 5 on 5, special teams and overall turn around of the team would just cause the fanbase to completely lose trust in the management and ownership group...and most importantly, probably the players.

3 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Give him a break, Halak was stellar in his last outing.

Big mistake playing Halak.  He likely gets yanked after letting in four weak ones in the first.  He will cost us the game, and Demko doesn’t even get a rest.  

• Sad 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Big mistake playing Halak.  He likely gets yanked after letting in four weak ones in the first.  He will cost us the game, and Demko doesn’t even get a rest.  

Halak is the right choice. Rarely does one goalie win back to back games. It didn’t work last time why would it work this time? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Halak is the right choice. Rarely does one goalie win back to back games. It didn’t work last time why would it work this time? 

Play Demko.  Or bring up Martin for a game.  Halak is done.  

image.jpeg.f258493fd53057e40335b38c69a0235e.jpeg

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Not to be morbid, but my Dad's in late-stag Parkinson's and the only thing that brings him joy is when the Canucks win. I doubt he'll make it to the end of next season, so here's to a spotless end of the regular season and a long playoff run, maybe even a cup. He's been a fan since the team's inception and I would love for him to see one championship before he goes.

Best of luck to you all.  My dad made it through beating the Blues in the bubble, but died before our boys fell to Vegas.  He sure loved this team. 

Enjoy all the time you can with him, and hopefully there are a lot of Canuck wins to make it all the better.

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

Canucks fans be like : It's bs LA gets easy teams like the ducks
LA fans be like : It's bs nucks get easy teams like the sens

But in reality we are all like : This is going to be the classic 3rd stringer vezina caliber and 5+ posts kind of night isnt it... :(

For real though, Very proud of this team. We have alot of guys with solid character that's for sure. It's April 19th and we are still in the playoff hunt. 
I could not imagine having to go to work everyday and deal with green and co trying to ruin your career. ( atleast not helping you progress in any way )
Add in our toxic media and bad apple fans... Plus years of covid... Especially for a younger team who's families are mostly in other countries.. Must have been such a mentally draining period. The fact these guys were all able to come together at once and go on this run since bruce & co got here in unreal. 

I will be soooooo stoked if they get in. They friggin deserve it. BUT i won't mad even the slightest if it doesn't work out.
It's the minni game that worries me tbh. They are going to injure more of our team... They added alot of toughness this year to go along with the fair amount they already had

Just now, aliboy said:

I'm worried!! This could be a let down game, just hope they can pull it out!!

Exactly!  Trap game, and Halak in net.  Seriously bad comb8nation.  Could be a very ugly and disappointing loss that kills our last chance for a playoff birth.  LA wins and we lose and it’s over.  Really bad vibes all over.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Devron said:

Agree. When it comes to goalies, I always expect when the backup plays.. Automatic 2 goals against. These are guys who sit and watch and 1/4 of the year, Then are expected to perform against mid season form superstars at a flawless rate lol. We have averaged over 5g a goal for our 6 game streak. This is the perfect time to have some confidence in one of the vital team members  

• Like 1