The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Ottawa Senators at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 19, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

At least Edmonton and Washington have something to play for tonight.

Edmonton wants to secure that second spot and home ice advantage, and the Caps wanna hold onto that third spot and avoid playing the Panthers in the first round.

Should be two highly motivated teams unlike Calgary lately…

8 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

let's look at some of the upper teams and the lower playoff teams and see how many loses regulation/ot combine they have against non playoff teams. we almost double any of the teams listed below.. ok not fair to look at the top teams.. looking at LA Nashville Dallas teams we are chasing.. we dropped points in 6 more games than them against non playoff teams.. other than washington most teams in the playoffs currently have single digits regulation/ot losses combine to non playoff teams.. and washington have a really good record against playoff teams so they build themselves a cushion.. 

colorado lost 6 

florida lost 5

tampa lost 7

washington 11

LA 8

Nashville 8

Dallas 8

vancouver 14

so i really don't see where the rest of the league the playoff team anyways just as consistent as we are being bad against bad teams..

Wait a sec... Where did you get your numbers?

I have the Canucks taking 30 out of 40 pts against eliminated teams under BB. That would be like 15 wins out of 20 or .750 win percentage. Even then we're pissed about blown games. 

TG got 11 out of 24 pts which is like 5.5 out of 12 or .46  winning percentage. (TG actually has a losing record against bottom feeders...)

While we critisize BB, if we extrapolate BB's .750 over the 12 games TG coached the bottom feeders, we'd actually have 3.5 more wins or 7 pts. 

That would mean a spot in the playoffs (just by having TG beating the bottom feeders at BB's rate) 

Once we add in BB's overall record (including playoff teams) its not even close. We'd be a lock for the playoffs. 

So by my calculation, BB would have lost 16 pts (or 8 games to bottom feeders this year) had he coached the entire season

This includes the following teams

Det, Chi, Ana, Buffalo, Ottawa, Seattle, Mtl, Philly, Columbus, SJ, NJ, NYI, Ariz. 

That puts us right at even with LA, Dallas and Nash. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pears said:

The painful thing about this is if we had fired Green even a week earlier we’d probably get in rather comfortably. That’s on Aquilini. 

Loyalty, even if misguided, is still an admirable trait

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Like were people actually expecting a 12-0 run? :lol: 

Of course we were gonna lose at least one.

This doesn’t change anything other than now we likely can’t drop either the Calgary or Minny game. Before we may have been able to drop one.

The good thing is we seem to play better against better teams. I’d be more worried if we had a bunch of trap games in the final 5 to be honest. Those would be games we’d surely lose.

But yea let’s not kid ourselves, we were always gonna need help on the out of town scoreboard. We were never actually in charge of our own destiny. A couple favourable results and we can be again though! Just keep cheering on the boys the same way you have, and lets see where this ends up!

I'm still going with 4-1 gets us in, as long as we beat LA in reg.  The odds of that right now are 45%.  I think that is fair, go 4-1 and have half a chance.  I'll take that and run.

3 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I'm still going with 4-1 gets us in, as long as we beat LA in reg.  The odds of that right now are 45%.  I think that is fair, go 4-1 and have half a chance.  I'll take that and run.

I don’t think 4-1 gets it done unfortunately. If we had gotten the point last night maybe.

With 4 games left the Kings losing to us and one other game would put them at 96 points.

Us going 4-1 would give us 95 points falling one short.

Unless the Kings drop 3 of their last 4 including the game to us, we need to go at least 4-0-1 which would make it come down to the second tie breaker which we would hold if we beat them.

9 hours ago, coryberg said:

Or if he was fired a month later we would be in the Shane Wright sweepstakes rather comfortably.

Which thankfully we aren’t because we’re easily a playoff team with a full season of Bruce. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Gaudette is trash

..............The "Gaudette Curse" continues.    I thought we had seen the last of him after his wife "snuck-out" on a secret weekend trip to Whistler during quarantine period and caught Covid, passed it to her husband then the whole team - ruining our whole season.    Wonder what else The Gaudettes have in store for us down the road.............?

Edited by RU SERIOUS

12 hours ago, JoshuaGuy said:

Shoot the &^@#ing puck. So many misses tonight. 

Plastic hockey sticks with too much flex = No control.    Until the Stick manufacturers fix that issue and put some rigidity back in the sticks like the wood sticks have, we'll continue to see record amount of errant shots.    That's why Nazy and several other top scorers held on to their wood sticks for so long.   Now, anyone cares about is power in the shot which reflects todays generational thinking of quantity over quality!

7 hours ago, T-Bo said:

Well, we should not be in a position of a single point deciding the season anyways, regardless of what team we lost too. Not exactly a trending indicator of a long play off run.

I don’t know if they will eek in or not, but they had choices to make, tank for better positioning in which might have moved them up two spots in a soft draft year.  Or go all out to try and make it in, which despite the odds being against them, I think they should still continue.

The reasoning, you have to admit, a lot of players value have gone up these past 7 games.  Keep that up for the remaining ones, and if they don’t make it into the playoffs, JR has just showcased the potential of a lot of players (some that were sub-par before this winning streak) that he could move for assets and free up cap space.

Meanwhile, if they don’t make it into the post season, and we miss it by a couple of points, we spend a couple of weeks being disappointed and blaming TG & JB, but saw the potential from the last dozen games, and go into next season being optimist and thinking ‘tweaking’.  Normally I would say, ‘and the cycle continues’, but it won’t, this year, we actually have a legit front office not making knee jerk decisions.

Better days ahead!

Go Nucks!

I agree wholeheartedly. 

Tanking would've sunk the value of a lot of our guys.  Now we are dealing with much more ammo this off-season if we want to make changes.  

I love Myers and hope we keep him, however if the management decides to move on, there will be lots of interest in him after the season he's just had. Being +20 on this team is quite a feat and OEL had a major part in pumping Myers' value up. 

Really hoping that Brock Boeser keeps his hot streak going and gets close to 25 goals (he's at 21). We might be able to extract quite a bit of value from that deal. 

Those moves will reap greater benefits then going from 16th overall down to 12th overall. 

2 hours ago, khay said:

I think Petey's wrist is less than 100%.

He probably needs time in between games to rest it hence, why his performance reverted back to being passive. He was struggling quite a lot with the puck and passed up on a few shooting chances.

There was a PP sequence where the puck simply dribbled of his stick a few times effectively wiping that PP out.

Plus he repeatedly tried to find Brock instead of ripping a one timer.

Love Petey but he was obviously not feeling it last night.

Edited by Jayinblack

13 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I think we all secretly knew we'd lose to Ottawa. :(

......................after watching that "infamous" Detroit/Buffalo Let-down weekend (3 weeks ago) I'm not surprised,   This team has been playing "DOWN" to their opponents level all season.  Points to a lack of inherent will & motivation.  The only fix for that is: A change of personel, as it's hard (but not impossible) to reprogram that into players.  I suspect JR, Alvin & The Chipmunk Girls know that and will take action accordingly this off season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

......................after watching that "infamous" Detroit/Buffalo Let-down weekend (3 weeks ago) I'm not surprised,   This team has been playing "DOWN" to their opponents level all season.  Points to a lack of inherent will & motivation.  The only fix for that is: A change of personel, as it's hard (but not impossible) to reprogram that into players.  I suspect JR, Alvin & The Chipmunk Girls know that and will take action accordingly this off season.

The "Mighty" Quinn to Jersey for a HUGE haul?  Fill all the holes in one move.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

What was especially hard to watch was the way they laid back on their heels for the first 5-8 min of the 2nd and 3rd periods.

I get they were tired and due for a let down, but once again that sit back and let the game come to mentality gave Ottawa a lot of life.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Thomas Drance thrives on negativity. 

He's the most vocal after Canuck losses. He really should go back to covering Toronto and Florida, the teams that he actually cheers for.