The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Apr. 21, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Team is playing hard and easily could have won the game... that's all you can ask.

Making the playoffs was and is a longshot... next season is when they have a chance to make a real push... after they add some defensive help.

Talk of trades at this point is a waste of time... until they know what their draft position is, and who they are likely to select.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Just don't ok?  It hurts enough already...

What’s a matter throwing in the towel? Things are just getting fun!

I don’t know if anything’s really changed all that much. The scenario was always that we pretty much had to run the table and get at least 95 points. 

Guess what we’d be at if we run the table the rest of the way..: 95 points!

I know fans are down cause we dropped two in a row but let’s just keep a little hope until the end. There is still a scenario where we make it that’s not that far fetched. At least not any more far fetched than it was a few weeks ago.

Dallas drops two in their final four (one against Vegas and one against Seattle or Anaheim.) Vegas drops their one against the Blues and then lose one in any form to the Sharks or Blackhawks and that opens the door.

I know it seems daunting but it always was. Let’s just say Saturday has the potential to either end it or get us back in this thing. I know I’ll be cheering like it’s an elimination game. Hopefully other fans are doing the same.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

What’s a matter throwing in the towel? Things are just getting fun!

I don’t know if anything’s really changed all that much. The scenario was always that we pretty much had to run the table and get at least 95 points. 

Guess what we’d be at if we run the table the rest of the way..: 95 points!

I know fans are down cause we dropped two in a row but let’s just keep a little hope until the end. There is still a scenario where we make it that’s not that far fetched. At least not any more far fetched than it was a few weeks ago.

Dallas drops two in their final four (one against Vegas and one against Seattle or Anaheim.) Vegas drops their one against the Blues and then lose one in any form to the Sharks or Blackhawks and that opens the door.

I know it seems daunting but it always was. Let’s just say Saturday has the potential to either end it or get us back in this thing. I know I’ll be cheering like it’s an elimination game. Hopefully other fans are doing the same.

Cheers.  I'm with ya til the end.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

One - that's highly unlikely. Two - that depends.

What other moves are made? What do they spend that cap space on? 

There's a certainly a scenario where we do the unlikely and move Miller solely for prospects and picks and are still competitive next year.

there is, but that likely involves more UFAs doesn't it? or are you thinking flip the assets we get for Miller for a roster player?

1 hour ago, tas said:

I can't think of a single example of the team declaring their plan to take a step back. 

All of those times they've used the word "retool" is meant as a step back but with intent to still remain competitive. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

You're not getting Miller for $8.5m.  the rumours are $10m+ for gaudreau

I'm not so sure about not being able to get Miller for 8.5. That's a completely reasonable offer for him considering his age and his overall performance in his career. 

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Better than him walking for nothing which, I believe, is a very very real possibility.

I don't really care if it means we make the playoffs and do some damage.   Making the team worse now just "in case" isn't a reliable method either.    Sure would be nice to get these massive haul trade proposals and maybe we will. It's still a crapshoot.   Maybe we get someone.   Maybe we don't.   Maybe we get a couple firsts like Gaunce.   Hard to say.   If the absolute worst thing is we have Miller for four years, and at the end of it he walks and we gain his 5.35 back in space i can live with that.   Again maybe better then Kerfoot for one year, and a couple big maybes from TO.  Lundqvist - please folks look into him a little deeper.    Marino?  Myers is better right now and our fans aren't happy about him.   Schnieder yes good one.   But they have to actually want to do that too.   Also i get the flip side.   30 year old Miller at 8.5-9.5  5-6 .... maybe we can just be patient and ride this rodeo out.   It's possible we trade Miller and screw ourselves too.   As in take on a much worse "up and coming" player under contract.   And miss on our picks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I don't see why he wouldn't be, and it'll take a massive contract from us to keep him. Dude is gonna get paid, and we likely don't see a discount.

Fanbases around the league go on about how they hope their pending guys will take sweetheart deals or discounts every year and it almost never happens.

Fans should lower their expectations on player movement. 

I'll be shocked if we move more then one big piece this summer. 

Between Miller, Garland, Boeser, and Horvat I expect only two transactions to happen. 

1 trade + 1 extension 

Or 

1 re-signing + 1 extension 

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I don't really care if it means we make the playoffs and do some damage.   Making the team worse now just "in case" isn't a reliable method either.    Sure would be nice to get these massive haul trade proposals and maybe we will. It's still a crapshoot.   Maybe we get someone.   Maybe we don't.   Maybe we get a couple firsts like Gaunce.   Hard to say.   If the absolute worst thing is we have Miller for four years, and at the end of it he walks and we gain his 5.35 back in space i can live with that.   Again maybe better then Kerfoot for one year, and a couple big maybes from TO.  Lundqvist - please folks look into him a little deeper.    Marino?  Myers is better right now and our fans aren't happy about him.   Schnieder yes good one.   But they have to actually want to do that too.   Also i get the flip side.   30 year old Miller at 8.5-9.5  5-6 .... maybe we can just be patient and ride this rodeo out.   It's possible we trade Miller and screw ourselves too.   As in take on a much worse "up and coming" player under contract.   And miss on our picks. 

I think people aren't giving known quantities enough weight. Its extremely valuable to know, or at least have a pretty good idea, of what you're getting out of a player. Look at Bo, his production is so consistent year to year its amazing. We know what Miller is, its not like we're guessing on the qualities he brings. Is he perfect or risk free, no. Is he a pretty good bet to be productive through Demko's contract? I think so. We're starting to see what Petey can do consistently. 

These games without Bo show me that even with Miller and Petey, we need our C depth. We haven't been able to find a Sutter replacement for two seasons, so this idea of just going out and getting a 3C like its picking fruit is a bit funny. A 4C pair like Lammikko and Richardson is much easier to find. 

Edited by JM_
  • Vintage 1

Still thinking about that third goal against last night.

Thats the next evolution for this team IMO. I love that Boudreau has them pushing and being aggressive. I’ll take that over Green hockey any day. But they need to recognize that there are certain points in games that you need to push and be aggressive and certain times you need to slow the game down and play boring hockey.

3-2 lead late in the second is where you need to slow the game down and play boring hockey. Clog up the neutral zone, don’t give up any odd man rushes, and keep shots to the outside. Especially on the road where you wanna keep the crowd out of it.

They may have still taken over the third and won it by a goal, but the game also changes completely when you have the lead to start a period. There’s a reason why most teams stats lean heavy to the win column when leading after two. It makes the other team have to open up and push, and that’s when you take advantage and try and get the two goal lead.

Managing moments like this in a game is the difference between good veteran teams, and young rookie teams that throw away points. They’ve been both this season. They need to find a way to be that good veteran team more consistently though.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think people aren't giving known quantities enough weight. Its extremely valuable to know, or at least have a pretty good idea, of what you're getting out of a player. Look at Bo, his production is so consistent year to year its amazing. We know what Miller is, its not like we're guessing on the qualities he brings. Is he perfect or risk free, no. Is he a pretty good bet to be productive through Demko's contract? I think so. We're starting to see what Petey can do consistently. 

These games without Bo show me that even with Miller and Petey, we need our C depth. We haven't been able to find a Sutter replacement for two seasons, so this idea of just going out and getting a 3C like its picking fruit is a bit funny. A 4C pair like Lammikko and Richardson is much easier to find. 

Yep.  And the sad thing, in a cap world, especially a cap - plus taxed city like ours, we just won't see a team that gets it all.   It's hard to find that anywhere in the NHL anymore anyways.    Time the league accepts this - and brings the play-ins back.   At least 20 or so of 32 teams will get to see something and have some hope.   5-10 years between cycles is just ridiculous. 

Last truly great teams i've seen were COL, Detroit and NJ.   Going back to the early 2000's. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

I think if I can fault coach BB on anything, it would be that he prefers a high offence, high attacking type of style.  So guys like Hunt are preferred over guys like Burroughs.  Problem is, I don't think it is conducive to playoff style hockey, hence coach BB hasn't had a ton of success in the playoffs.

WTF was Hunt doing on that late goal. He looked like dollar store security following around Kas before he scored. 

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

there is, but that likely involves more UFAs doesn't it? or are you thinking flip the assets we get for Miller for a roster player?

There's a myriad of things that could happen. Could be be key UFA's. Using that cap space to grab the next Toews, Miller, Bennett etc. Flipping those assets. Other trades. Dinner combination of all those things.

You need to get it out of your head that trading Miller is some "roster death sentence". I'm excited to see how management navigates this summer actually!

11 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

WTF was Hunt doing on that late goal. He looked like dollar store security following around Kas before he scored. 

Most players stopped giving a crap knowing they’re out (once they lose the game)