The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Apr. 29, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

1. Spencer Martin continues to look like the real deal. Looks like a great value backup.

2. Garland is finishing strong. Right now, his contract is looking pretty good. 

3. OEL also finishing strong. His contract is on the high side but the trade that brought in Garland and OEL long term is looking a lot better. 

4. Podkolzin looks ready to be a top 6 forward next season.  

5. Petey showed that he could overcome a very tough and prolonged slump.  Myers told him to remember this well and that he can always draw on it later in his career if he ever hits a tough patch.  

6. Hughes showed that last season was a one-of in terms of his really sketchy defensive play.  Hughes just might be trending towards 97% of Scott Niedermeyer on the high end.  

Those are 7 really strong points that will all be with the team for at least the next 4 years as well as Demko. 

I realize that we have a few inefficient contracts, but I'm not too worried about it. 

Cat Inspiration GIF

3 hours ago, JamesB said:

The Canucks had a great run after Boudreau came on board. Could not ask for much more from a new coach.

The shootout would have excruciating if a playoff spot had been at stake. As it was I could sort of relax, although it was frustrating.

The good news from tonight's game.

1. Spencer Martin continues to look like the real deal. Looks like a great value backup.

2. Garland is finishing strong. Right now, his contract is looking pretty good. 

3. OEL also finishing strong. His contract is on the high side but the trade that brought in Garland and OEL long term is looking a lot better. 

4. Podkolzin looks ready to be a top 6 forward next season.  

49 points at even strength is incredible - 2nd on the team behind Miller - they should not trade Garland

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

5. Petey showed that he could overcome a very tough and prolonged slump.  Myers told him to remember this well and that he can always draw on it later in his career if he ever hits a tough patch.  

6. Hughes showed that last season was a one-of in terms of his really sketchy defensive play.  Hughes just might be trending towards 97% of Scott Niedermeyer on the high end.  

Those are 7 really strong points that will all be with the team for at least the next 4 years as well as Demko. 

I realize that we have a few inefficient contracts, but I'm not too worried about it. 

Cat Inspiration GIF

Never thought I'd write this but another big win from the season is the play of Chiasson. In the last 15 games he played as a legitimate top 6 player. If we're going with 3 expensive centers going forward, having cheap top 9 wingers will be key. Pearson/Boeser/Chiasson are all too slow to be great fits though, but if Boeser is traded or not qualified and replaced by a faster and cheaper player I can see a place for the other two.

• Like 1

I build light and sound for concerts, etc. Today I made a mistake in putting something together and a fellow worker and I both commented how it's often better to make the mistake because then you remember the right way to do it in the future. I'm hoping the same attitude is what gets the Canucks into the playoffs next year - learn from all the OTs they lost, the bad starts, and the moments in the games were they lost confidence.

When they were assertive and self confidence they played some good games, and when they were passive and fearful of losing they stunk. Hopefully they learn that their mental attitude can dramatically change the outcome of a game. When they think of how they felt and thought when playing slower / less talented teams like Seattle and recognize that's how a team like Minnesota felt playing against Vancouver. That inner confidence is partly from talent and speed, but both improve when the confidence is more solid.

I was surprised that historically we had some breakthrough years for multiple players like Hughes, Horvat, Petey, JT Miller, and Demko. It's harder to see how exceptional their years were because we didn't make the playoffs unlike some of the Sedin years where we did. 

I think we learned that player chemistry is essential to how players play and how the team gels in general. Putting the right defensive pairings and the right offensive lines together elevated the team. We need to continue to build on some of the chemistry that worked this year and not mix things up too much next year. 

Conor Garland - Bo Horvat - Elias Pettersson

Alex Chiasson - J.T. Miller Vasily Podkolzin. I actually really liked Pearson and JT Miller together before Pearson got injured.

Matthew Highmore - ? - William Lockwood

Bo Horvat, JT Miller, Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes, Demko - they are our core. Horvat for his face-offs;  Miller for his leadership, drive, and points; Pettersson for his creative play and leading by example, Hughes for his creative mind and vision, and Demko for his solid play.

Vasily Podkolzin is a young and rising star for the Canucks who for now is cheap for his value at only 832k next year.

Brock Boeser had a pretty good year, but his salary raise / expectations are too high for his points and contributions. Consider Pearson about half the salary of Boeser and he had  only 12 points less ( and missed more games ).  Garland gets more points ( 50 ) to Boeser's 46 but Garland's salary is less than 4 mill vs Boeser at closer to 8. Either way you cut it I'd rather have two players like Garland and Pearson vs one player like Boeser.

The 3rd and 4th line are where we need to really look at who we have and who developed chemistry by the end of the year. I thought Matthew Highmore and William Lockwood were great value at 750k each this year. Both will be wanting more next year, but likely still will be reasonably priced.

Oliver Ekman-Larsson had a mixed year and frankly his salary for next year is just too high for a defensemen or for his contribution to the team. Sure he ended up with 29 points, but his salary is around 10 million while most of the other Dmen other than Quinn Hughes are around 1-2 million. Quinn is at 4m, but had more than double the points of OEL. Can we get rid of OEL and use that 10 mill to pay for 2-3 Dmen?

Tyler Myers is 6 million but he had only 18 points and was often a awkward Giraffe that got skated around by smaller / faster players. So both Myers and OEL need to go based on their salaries / value - possible?

Spencer Martin impressed me from his first Canucks game and continues to make me believe he could really help take pressure off Demko. I'm not sure Demko handle the number of games he played this year, so more games with Martin in would be an ideal situation. Sure Demko could play a lot of games, but then he's burnt out during the stretch and frankly out of gas if we do make it into the playoffs. Martin is 750k this year, so an incredible deal for a backup goalie. The question is how many games can he comfortably play and can Demko share more games without letting it affect his ego.

There were a bunch of players that had various injuries or just bad years and I'm not sure why we should keep any of them. 

Nicholas Petan, Kyle Burroughs, Jason Dickinson, Brandon Sutter, Brady Keeper, Tucker Poolman, Brad Richardson should all go. Either unclear about their future health or didn't gel with team. We should focus on keeping the players we know can play next year and / or have chemistry on the existing team. 

I don't understand the contract technicalities, but ideally trading OEL, Myers, Boeser would free up a lot of money ( 10+6+8 = 24 mil approx ) that could go toward 3rd and 4th line and Dmen. 

I recognize that I'm not a GM or agent so I don't know or understand the ins and outs of trading or not bringing back players, but if all the players I've mentioned could be moved it would free up a lot of money and spots to fill with players that are better suited to play Canucks hockey and for a better value.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/2022.html

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/contracts/

Edited by AnotherCanucksFan
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Jaimito said:

JT needs a 100 pt next season 

Bruce will get his 600.

Now we can watch flames and oils get eliminated in first round. 

And we need Vintage to handle all next season’s GDT’s.

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Final GDT record for this season: 7-0-2.

Should give us something like 0.890 points percentage and an NHL record 146 points (64-0-18) next season. :towel:

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, J-P said:

Never thought I'd write this but another big win from the season is the play of Chiasson. In the last 15 games he played as a legitimate top 6 player. If we're going with 3 expensive centers going forward, having cheap top 9 wingers will be key. Pearson/Boeser/Chiasson are all too slow to be great fits though, but if Boeser is traded or not qualified and replaced by a faster and cheaper player I can see a place for the other two.

After wayching Boeser in the game tonight, there is no doubt he has to go.   He did not do one thing right.  Go back and watch the game tonight and you'll see he was inept at everything he tried tonight.  Unbelievably poor performance!  Can't stick-handle, out muscled, misses passes, can't make them, gets knocked off the puck easily, no creativity, floats around and is slow as molasses.   He is simply a shooter - End of Story and we need more -and will get more - than that for his $7.800,000.00 Million dollar Q.O. he's expecting next year.    Get whatever you can for him and trade him somewhere in the deep south. For that type of money, we can get a star player not a brock Boeser.

14 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

After wayching Boeser in the game tonight, there is no doubt he has to go.   He did not do one thing right.  Go back and watch the game tonight and you'll see he was inept at everything he tried tonight.  Unbelievably poor performance!  Can't stick-handle, out muscled, misses passes, can't make them, gets knocked off the puck easily, no creativity, floats around and is slow as molasses.   He is simply a shooter - End of Story and we need more -and will get more - than that for his $7.800,000.00 Million dollar Q.O. he's expecting next year.    Get whatever you can for him and trade him somewhere in the deep south. For that type of money, we can get a star player not a brock Boeser.

Dhaliwal says everything he's hearing is that they are trying to extend him.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Think of it this way, if Bruce does come back next season's first win will be a milestone 

If Bruce comes back for three seasons, 700 is well within reach.   That puts him up there with coaching legends like Al Arbour.   Pretty incredible really.   Of course ideally we could add a cup too...(740 is pretty realistic, as is top ten...needs to be 3 seasons though).

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

50 points to Boeser's 46 at 1/2 the price! He's also 25, so only 1 year older than Boeser.

How's it half the price?   Garland is one of my favourite players to watch on this team - so love him already not saying he didn't have a way more valuable season.   Guys got some Martin St. Louis in him - and no way should we be trading him either.   Give him some PP time on the first unit and i see him scoring 70 points.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

He will either sign a 4 year deal at around 5.5-6, or be taken to mediation.   In that case his cap hit almost certainly goes down to 6.35... we don't need to sweat it that much.   And we also don't need to give up on him to sign Miller next season.    Tactically, unless there is a player out there this summer that will offer better window and actual return as a UFA, the team isn't in a hurry to trade anyone.   I love the idea of Manson but maybe that's a mistake too.  Hamonic was.   Brock needs to get spend his summer working on a few things and come in prepared.    Last season he was absolutely fine at his cap hit.   This year was for sure troubling.    Best case is actually we keep him - now that he's not getting a long term deal by anyone - get him for four years at around 5.5 ... and he turns into the 35/35 guy virtually every expert predicted he'd become his second and third year (hockey pools are a fun pass time - go back and find any expert that didn't have him in the 65-75 point range and post it if you can find it)... Injuries to me also reduce his cap hit.    It's not a big risk for the team to sign him for four years.   And it's definitely stupid to sell low on your assets.   Brock will be back next season, i'm pretty sure.    Unless a trade comes up that's not really a sell low thing.   Same team with EP going from the start and Brock just doing his .85 average before this year is one that's winning percentage goes up.   Martin looks like the real deal too.  .700 is actually within the realm of realism in those cases with everything else being the same.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If Bruce comes back for three seasons, 700 is well within reach.   That puts him up there with coaching legends like Al Arbour.   Pretty incredible really.   Of course ideally we could add a cup too...(740 is pretty realistic, as is top ten...needs to be 3 seasons though).

For sure, I wonder how long he plans on coaching though. It's possible he doesn't want to retire and chill out with family, he loves the game, maybe he's a longer term option than I give him credit for. I don't think there's ever been a coach who's coached well into his 70's though. Let alone into his 70's.

Ruff, Sutter, and Bowness are the only other current coaches in their 60's although Trotz is almost there. Bowness is the same age. But while most coaches are in their 40's and 50's many of the current coaches are creeping towards 60, but we may see more fresh blood creeping in as guys retire.

I question his long term fit, which isn't to say he's not at least a short term option.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

For sure, I wonder how long he plans on coaching though. It's possible he doesn't want to retire and chill out with family, he loves the game, maybe he's a longer term option than I give him credit for. I don't think there's ever been a coach who's coached well into his 70's though. Let alone into his 70's.

Ruff, Sutter, and Bowness are the only other current coaches in their 60's although Trotz is almost there. Bowness is the same age. But while most coaches are in their 40's and 50's many of the current coaches are creeping towards 60, but we may see more fresh blood creeping in as guys retire.

I question his long term fit, which isn't to say he's not at least a short term option.

Yes he'd have to coach until he's around 70...guy seems to love it though.   Didn't need to come back.   I think he's going to commit to two years with an option for a third.   Quin had to quit because his hips started failing him ... these guys were once athletes for the most part, and the body does break down...I sure hope he's around for 3 seasons though.    The closer we are to a cup the longer he stays.   I'm certain this team makes it next season.    This team is special.   I've watched them since the late 80's and exposed to them since the 70's ... and have to say only a few times i've had that tickle of excitement that we are on the cusp of something special. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Yes he'd have to coach until he's around 70...guy seems to love it though.   Didn't need to come back.   I think he's going to commit to two years with an option for a third. 

If he's back I think you're probs right

But I don't see him coming back as a slam dunk, guess we'll see 

Depends on who else is available, I think we could end up with Maurice

Just now, Coconuts said:

If he's back I think you're probs right

But I don't see him coming back as a slam dunk, guess we'll see 

Depends on who else is available, I think we could end up with Maurice

I sure hope that's not the case.   To me that means a blow up or a re-set is coming.  

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Yes he'd have to coach until he's around 70...guy seems to love it though.   Didn't need to come back.   I think he's going to commit to two years with an option for a third.   Quin had to quit because his hips started failing him ... these guys were once athletes for the most part, and the body does break down...I sure hope he's around for 3 seasons though.    The closer we are to a cup the longer he stays.  

Bruce is a very smart guy who radiates sincerity. Even as our season is over, he's still coaching:

"This (Vancouver) is a great place. This is a team that is on the rise." 

He can't help himself from getting inside player's heads and staying there over the off-season.

The optimism is clear.

Also smart enough to delegate more load on his chosen, trusted assistants as he ages.

He'll easily survive as the team's conscience while grooming say, Scott Walker to continue his legacy.

And, almost certainly guaranteed next year's opener to be a barn-burning 600th celebration win.

Francesco must be ecstatic, and deservedly so.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Muttley said:
 Team       Face offs
VAN       54.7%
EDM       45.3%

Really think these good face off stats are amazing with Bo out of the lineup.  

yes but the issue isnt winning the faceoffs, its that players have to play the part. Bo take the defensive zone face offs usually . If hes out that means Miller has to take them and then he is not as effective in the O zone. We need both of them and that number might be staggering