The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SCF] Colorado Avalanche (C1) vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) | Avalanche win 2022 Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

2022 Stanley Cup Final  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

• Avalanche in 4
    • Avalanche in 5
    • Avalanche in 6
    • Avalanche in 7
    • Lightning in 4
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/19/2022 at 12:00 AM

37 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

How can you not?  Hes such a gamer. 

Probably some typical "Not on my team, nope" holier than thou virtue signaller.

You know, the ones who conveniently seem to forget that this team had players like Burrows, Kesler, Lapierre, Torres...etc. on it before and probably had no problem cheering for them because the team was pretty damn good in 2011. 

The irony is pretty funny actually.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Us moving back to 5 actually worked in our favour too.

Yes we missed out on Makar, but if you think about it had we taken Makar instead of Petey we probably wouldn’t have taken a D man the following year. Meaning we would have taken one of the bust forwards.

So Petey plus Hughes over Makar and a bust is better for this franchise in the long run.

As good as Quinn is he is a step below Makar. I’m sure most of us would agree that we would rather have Makar over Petey and Hughes. This kid is this generation’s Orr. Has won it all and he’s only 22… not even close to his prime yet sheesh.

2 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Probably some typical "Not on my team, nope" holier than thou virtue signaller.

You know, the ones who conveniently seem to forget that this team had players like Burrows, Kesler, Lapierre, Torres...etc. on it before and probably had no problem cheering for them because the team was pretty damn good in 2011. 

The irony is pretty funny actually.

It's not holier then thou, I just don't like Kadri, Marchand, and Duncan Keith and don't want them on our team.  

5 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

If that's your reasoning fair enough.

I don't know much other people that wouldn't want a 80+ point centre and winger on their team but to each their own. 

I'd learn to live with it pretty quickly I imagine.

The Canucks don't have much history of acquiring people that were scumbags previously or scumbags specifically to the Canucks.  Just Messier offhand...and that sure went well.

We've acquired past rivals from Edmonton and Calgary especially...Reinhart, Tikkanen, Randy Gregg, Dana Murzyn.  Never any issues there and was always happy to get those kinds of players.

Maybe someone or something is slipping my mind.  I mean players like Tiger Williams and Randy Holt were considered absolute lunatics on the ice before we acquired them, but at least then that wasn't really a drawback.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I could see Hughes getting it but Makar is miles better than Huggy at this point. 

Really one of the great defencemen in years.

Hughes will never be a makar.

Makar had the pure athletic ability and hockey sense that hasnt been seen in a dman ever.  

33 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

As good as Quinn is he is a step below Makar. I’m sure most of us would agree that we would rather have Makar over Petey and Hughes. This kid is this generation’s Orr. Has won it all and he’s only 22… not even close to his prime yet sheesh.

With that talent, he could keep the avs a perennial cup favourite his whole career.  He effortlessly takes over a game like no dman ive ever seen.

42 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

I wouldn’t take him over Petey and Hughes regardless if Hughes is better or not.

If you don’t have a franchise center you don’t have anything. We would have continued to have to look for that first line center had we passed on Petey.

Makar isn’t able to do what he does without players like Mackinnon up front. So taking a D man that is a step below the best defenseman in the game is a pretty good trade off to get a franchise center. It’s a no brainer to me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Kadri has given people concussions with dirty plays.  Sorry no sympathy from me even though that's no excuse for those racist remarks that he got through social media. 

You don't have to like it, but the reality is he came up clutch this playoffs, overcame an injury, and is now a Stanley Cup champion. 

If he wants to clap back at those who dumped on him for being a liability after proving them he wasn't one this playoffs I've no issue with that. 

This doesn't excuse his past behavior, but he absolutely shut some people up today. 

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Hughes will never be a makar.

Makar had the pure athletic ability and hockey sense that hasnt been seen in a dman ever.  

Hughes is a great talent and we're absolutely fortunate to have him, but he's not on Makar's level. For one, he lacks an effective shot and that'll always make Makar more dangerous. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Why do we need to compare him to the best defenseman in the league?

Theres literally no D men as good as Makar right now. Pointless to even make a comparison.

That doesn’t take away from the fact that Hughes is the most talented D man this franchise has ever had. He doesn’t have to be the best  in the league to be a damn good defenseman.

The Hughes/Makar conversation stems from their rookie year and they're both dynamic offensive D, it's as simple as that. The comparison will always be there. This isn't to take away from Hughes, it simply is what it is. 

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You don't have to like it, but the reality is he came up clutch this playoffs, overcame an injury, and is now a Stanley Cup champion. 

If he wants to clap back at those who dumped on him for being a liability after proving them he wasn't one this playoffs I've no issue with that. 

This doesn't excuse his past behavior, but he absolutely shut some people up today. 

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Oh he's had the best season in his whole career.  

Doesn't change anything about the type of player he is.