The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SCF] Colorado Avalanche (C1) vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) | Avalanche win 2022 Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

2022 Stanley Cup Final  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

• Avalanche in 4
    • Avalanche in 5
    • Avalanche in 6
    • Avalanche in 7
    • Lightning in 4
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/19/2022 at 12:00 AM

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It can, but being hitting home runs on top ten picks sure helped 

Mac was #1, Makar was #4, Rantanen was #10, Landeskog was #2, Byram was #4

And then you've got guys like Burakovsky at #23, Kadri at #7, Nishushkin at #10, Newhook at #16, Johnson at #1, Cogliano at #25, and a few 2nd rounders mixed in

Things can turn around quick but we've only really hit home runs on Petey and Hughes so far and have little in the way of high end talent in the pipeline, maybe we get there but they certainly had a better starting point 

Colorado built around skill, speed, and creativity and insulated it with grit, that's the kind of team we should be looking to build, and as mentioned Colorado filled that team with 1st round quality players and it showed 

Only one of the guys you mentioned in the third line was actually drafted by Colorado and that was Newhook, every other one of those was a free agent signing or trade. Goes to show how important it is to acquire the right free agents and make savvy trades to compliment your core and young stars and not only hit on high 1st round picks only.

No to mention other acquisitions like Lehkonen, , Josh Manson, Devin Toews and Samuel Girard (who missed playoffs but was a regular season contributor) all additions made to this team to support the core. It was built correctly and in a fairly short window. Colorado had to have some pretty bad seasons to have a chance at Mackinnon, Makar, Rantanen, Landeskog.....if they pushed and squeaked into the last seed every year they wouldn't be able to draft those guys and probably still be mediocre.....that should hit home - they set the bar higher than last seed/meaningful games in March....the bar was a championship team. 

Edited by Harold Drunken

4 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I would start cheering for him at some point I'm sure. As you said we had Torres and I was fully on board. 

I mean everybody has certain players that they like or don't like, that's fair. 

I guess for me personally, I wouldn't mind having them if they could actually benefit our team and lead to a cup (which both of them ended up doing for their respective teams).

Landeskog was drafted 2nd overall in 2011.  

MacKinnon was drafted 1st overall in 2013. 

2016-17 was not the start of their rebuild. 

I would not be surprised to see the Lightning back in the Finals next year.

They are still young enough to be competitive.

I think if Brayden Point was healthy this year, the Lightning would have won again.

They still have an allstar defensive corps, a first line which is comparable to any in the league and probably the best goalie in league... next to Demko.  ;)

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Funny how they lost the lottery and ended up with who I think is the second best player in the league in Makar (and I think there is fair argument he is the top player in the league after Norris, C-S and SC all in one week).

Luck is just such an important part of a rebuild.

Luck is arguably THE most important part.

24 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I would not be surprised to see the Lightning back in the Finals next year.

They are still young enough to be competitive.

I think if Brayden Point was healthy this year, the Lightning would have won again.

They still have an allstar defensive corps, a first line which is comparable to any in the league and probably the best goalie in league... next to Demko.  ;)

Yeah I think so too.  Taking a #1 centre like Point out of the lineup is huge.

7 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I think they're Hall of Famers but I don't know about first ballot.  If it happens, great.  If it doesn't...their day will likely come.  But it still hasn't for a lot of players...Bernie Nicholls, Mike Vernon, Tom Barrasso, Pierre Turgeon, Theoren Fleury, Reggie Leach, Charlie Simmer, Rick Martin, Rene Robert, Randy Carlyle, Dave Taylor, Alexander Mogilny...

:bigblush:

7 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

Only one of the guys you mentioned in the third line was actually drafted by Colorado and that was Newhook, every other one of those was a free agent signing or trade. Goes to show how important it is to acquire the right free agents and make savvy trades to compliment your core and young stars and not only hit on high 1st round picks only.

No to mention other acquisitions like Lehkonen, , Josh Manson, Devin Toews and Samuel Girard (who missed playoffs but was a regular season contributor) all additions made to this team to support the core. It was built correctly and in a fairly short window. Colorado had to have some pretty bad seasons to have a chance at Mackinnon, Makar, Rantanen, Landeskog.....if they pushed and squeaked into the last seed every year they wouldn't be able to draft those guys and probably still be mediocre.....that should hit home - they set the bar higher than last seed/meaningful games in March....the bar was a championship team. 

I'm aware, hence my point about Colorado surrounding their stars with first round caliber talent. 

But yes, savvy acquisitions helped a lottttt.

And yes, they did have to have some bad seasons but replicating four top 10 picks all turning into top flight players or stars is tough to do, especially when three of them are top 5 picks. If anything that should hammer home the importantance of actually using your picks and acquiring top end young talent.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

Col is a great team but many here think we should emulate them.Every team has their own path

Perhaps, but there's something to be said for choosing a path and actively working to forge an identity 

Colorado won on speed, skill and creativity but insulated it with grit and several two-way players. Even their top guys like Mac played some impressive D. Between Hughes, Pettersson, and Podz we've already got some young skilled, speedy players. I'd love to see more emphasis on acquiring skilled youth.