The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrei Kuzmenko | #96 | LW

-AJ-

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Kuzmenko will hit 40 goals this year.  Book it.

The only players in Vancouver Canucks history to score at least 40 goals in one NHL season:

Pavel Bure

Alexandr Mogilny

Markus Naslund

Todd Bertuzzi

Tony Tanti

Darcy Rota

Ryan Kesler

Daniel Sedin

Ron Sedlbauer

I think he has a chance to hit 50 goals next year.  If he does, he will join some elite company.  The only players in Vancouver Canucks history to score 50 goals in one NHL season:

Pavel Bure

Alexander Mogilny

Of course, if he could ever hit 60 goals, then we know that there was only player to ever do that.  61 goals and he would have the all-time Canucks record.

If Petey can get 113 points in one season and Kuzmenko 61 goals, plus Hughes already has the Dman records, then just wow...

And yet, we still miss the playoffs somehow.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

As always Spook, me and you are on the same page.

The next two years are the most critical time for this club moving forward.  Demko's contract is up in 3 years.  Hughes is up in 4 years.  Kuzmenko is up in 2 years.  Petey and Hronek need to sign massive extensions.  JR/PA are ALL in.  I mean ALL in.  They know the window is now.  We have the core.  Petey, Hughes, Demko, Kuzmenko, Hronek, Miller.  That is the core.  6 guys.  The rest will be complimentary pieces.  And Miller is 30 years old.  So, his prime is now, not 4-5 years from now.

Having OEL on your 3rd pairing at $7.26 million isn't going to help this team.  It's fantasy to believe that OEL is going to play at a $7.26 million level next season.  He's not.  And he's not even a good pairing matchup for Hronek anyways.  We need a Graves/Gavrikov type that can clear the front of the net, kill penalties and be that supportive defensive Dman.

Our window is now.  People are worried about the extra 4 years on the buyout.  The reality is JR/PA won't be around in 4 years if we are not winning.  So, it's a moot point for them.  The new GM will have to figure it out.  Just like JR has to figure out the current mess left by Benning.

You buy out OEL and you trade Myers after his bonus is paid to Anaheim.  Attach a sweetener if you have to.  With that $13 million in new cap space for next season, we can revamp the entire defence in one summer.  Gavrikov, Mayfield, Schenn, Livingstone, maybe Tryamkin or you trade for Kevin Bahl.  All of a sudden, we not only have an NHL defence, but we also have a defence that can help us win in the playoffs...

I say we have a 4 year window where Miller still has the capacity, Hughes isn’t gone to be with the Bros and so on. 

• There it is 2

33 minutes ago, boziffous said:

A couple of months back they were saying that Kuzmenko's shooting percentage of 25% was unsustainable. He's actually increased it up to 27.2%. What's the record?

Here's a list of the top 10 shooting percentages combined since 2017-18. Kuzmenko's rate is not sustainable long-term.

982092018eb261ff2d4e0fa2c110b029.png

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Here's a list of the top 10 shooting percentages combined since 2017-18. Kuzmenko's rate is not sustainable long-term.

What he's doing this season is pretty incredible, but I won't be surprised if his numbers drop a bit next season when goalies and defensemen will have had time to look at some if his tape. Hopefully he can improve his shot volume a bit to make up for the likely drop in shooting percentage that's coming.

17 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

What he's doing this season is pretty incredible, but I won't be surprised if his numbers drop a bit next season when goalies and defensemen will have had time to look at some if his tape. Hopefully he can improve his shot volume a bit to make up for the likely drop in shooting percentage that's coming.

Agreed. I also think shooting more will be helpful. A lot of the snipers in the NHL have 1.5x to 2x his shots right now, so simply increasing his shot frequency will help.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

According to statmuse (take it as you will), highest career shooting percentage was Craig Simpson at 23.7% (600+ games) and for a season it was Charlie Simmer at 32.7% in 1980/81 (in 65 games).  AK96 currently ranks 13th on that list (34 goals in 125 shots), tied to one decimal place with 1988/89 Mario Lemieux (85 goals in 313 shots), but is actually marginally higher due to ML66's figure being rounded up.

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask/who-has-the-best-shooting-percentage-in-nhl-season

Thanks for this.

It's interesting that nearly all of the top regular season shooting percentages were from the 80's and early 90's. Seems the butterfly style goaltenders have made it harder to have a high shooting percentage. Makes what Kuzmenko is doing this season even more impressive.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I mostly agree with you, as a 27.2 shooting % is ridiculous. With the way Kuzmenko scores a vast majority of his goals from in close though, I really think year in and year out he's going to hover around 20%. I just watched a video of his first 20 goals this season and all of them combined were probably from a total distance of 100 feet away from the goalline, maybe even less. It looked like the furthest he scored from was about 18 to 20 feet out. This guy's not a sniper, he's a close quarters assassin.

• There it is 1

59 minutes ago, boziffous said:

I mostly agree with you, as a 27.2 shooting % is ridiculous. With the way Kuzmenko scores a vast majority of his goals from in close though, I really think year in and year out he's going to hover around 20%. I just watched a video of his first 20 goals this season and all of them combined were probably from a total distance of 100 feet away from the goalline, maybe even less. It looked like the furthest he scored from was about 18 to 20 feet out. This guy's not a sniper, he's a close quarters assassin.

Exactly this. How many of his goals are literal tap-ins? 

My shooting percentage into an empty net from inside the crease is also pretty high.

The guy just knows where to be to score goals. There's not a lot that's unsustainable about the way he's producing.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm starting to find the whole Kuzmenko tough love treatment by RT a bit nauseating. You took one of the guys that seemed to enjoy playing, and turned him the opposite direction. And you can tell in his effort level out there. 

I get it that he needs to work on his two way game, but why bench him when the games don't matter. Much the same as Pettersson, why is/was there no effort to try to help him get to 40 goals or 75 pts? He was truly one of the bright spots on our team this year and a reason to be excited about 2023/24.

43 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Funny thing about Kuzmenko is he's actually a plus player unlike JT & BB who are minus players and yet never miss a shift

To his credit, when Miller puts in effort, he's a great two-way forward and has shown that over the past few months. Since the start of February, he's a +7.

• There it is 1

52 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Funny thing about Kuzmenko is he's actually a plus player unlike JT & BB who are minus players and yet never miss a shift

Kuz Misslie is working on being a better 200 foot player. He plays a lot 5 on 5 with Petey and Hughes. Those two are amazing players who dominate possession and shot differential. 

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

Kuz Misslie is working on being a better 200 foot player. He plays a lot 5 on 5 with Petey and Hughes. Those two are amazing players who dominate possession and shot differential. 

Correction; he played a lot with Petey and Hughes. Last couple of weeks he's been summonsed to the 2/3 line. IF he had played with Petey and Miller last night we would have got 40....

• Vintage 1

On 4/12/2023 at 12:49 PM, Fred65 said:

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! I've been saying this since Tocchet got here. Boeser plays first line minutes, now Kuzmenko is playing 3rd line minutes with Sheldon Dries, who, if the team had a healthy lineup would be in Abby.

• Like 1