The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrei Kuzmenko | #96 | LW

-AJ-

17 hours ago, The Lock said:

I would have actually been more surprised if they did decide to fly back to be honest.

Direct access to Russia is very limited because of the boycott. Russians have to reroute through quasi neutral countries that still fly into Russia. The obvious risk for these players is being conscripted but there is also a risk of having their visas nixed while they are out of the country. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Direct access to Russia is very limited because of the boycott. Russians have to reroute through quasi neutral countries that still fly into Russia. The obvious risk for these players is being conscripted but there is also a risk of having their visas nixed while they are out of the country. 

If indeed they are staying in Canada for the summer, that would be a good thing in a lot of ways besides the risk of conscription. Opportunity to enjoy the area during the summer and ready access to Canucks training staff and coaches once they are back to training for the upcoming season

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2023 at 3:51 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

If indeed they are staying in Canada for the summer, that would be a good thing in a lot of ways besides the risk of conscription. Opportunity to enjoy the area during the summer and ready access to Canucks training staff and coaches once they are back to training for the upcoming season

The Russian players on the Canucks are a potential risk. Will they go or will they stay? They all have families back in Russia and therefore at risk of physical threat or extortion. We have little idea of what they experience. IMHO they will likely have to make a decision as to whether they will apply for permanent residency in Canada or the USA. We don't know what how the various jurisdictions will view such apps. 

There is little doubt that Russia is descending into anarchy and likely civil war. What civil rule exists will collapse. I would not be surprised to hear that the KHL has folded. Where will money come from to fund ongoing hockey programs in Russia when feeding people takes precedence? This is not business as usual as much as many wish it was.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The Russian players on the Canucks are a potential risk. Will they go or will they stay? They all have families back in Russia and therefore at risk of physical threat or extortion. We have little idea of what they experience. IMHO they will likely have to make a decision as to whether they will apply for permanent residency in Canada or the USA. We don't know what how the various jurisdictions will view such apps. 

There is little doubt that Russia is descending into anarchy and likely civil war. What civil rule exists will collapse. I would not be surprised to hear that the KHL has folded. Where will money come from to fund ongoing hockey programs in Russia when feeding people takes precedence? This is not business as usual as much as many wish it was.   

Makes one wonder why Kravtsov decided to go back to Russia. He may regret that decision.

20 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Makes one wonder why Kravtsov decided to go back to Russia. He may regret that decision.

It seems that young Krav really doesn't want to play in the AHL.  Whether it's a lack of confidence

in the AHL developmental program, lack of confidence in his own abilities to make the NHL, or

maybe he thinks he's 'too good for the AHL'.  There are probably other reasons as well.  I do

suspect that the Canucks told him that they wouldn't re-sign him unless he agreed to spend

time in Abby.  At least they still maintain his rights.

In the end, Russia is his home; his family and friends.  Pretty much most of his life experience

I can understand his preference to develop his game in his homeland.

I would think the majority of Russian players go home in the offseason.  Some have permanent

residency in the US, but I would bet that even those players would like to visit their family and

friends at some point during their time away from hockey.

It's an unknown future for Russia.  These players might be forced into making some

extremely difficult decision as some point.

• Like 1