The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ethan Bear given permission to talk to other teams

No thanks, another 6/7 defenceman, we already have enough of those. Edmonton let this guy go and Carolina benched him during the playoffs, some idiotic team is gonna give up too much to acquire this guy, props to his agent for hyping him up, but this is a hard no for me, hope the Canucks stay far away from this

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I really hope Canucks management don't persue Bear too much. Sure he's a RD and young but shouldn't cost us anything, he's a bottom pairing defenceman and is not the sort of project we need right now. Juulsen is a very similar defenceman, no need for another, especially when we've got some great bottom pairing D-men in Rathbone, Dermott, Schenn and Burroughs (Hunt not mentioned but he has been serviceable to be fair to him).

We need a top-4 guy who has and can play 20+ minutes a night. I'd rather take Lybushkin over Bear and it won't cost us as much but even he's no top-4 defenceman.

I hope management don't get carried away with this idea of a "young 25 year old right handed defenceman" because there are other ways to mould this defence.

If there's really no one biting on the trades for say Schneider or Marino, I'd be keen to go out and find a young puck mover on the right side and break up OEL and Myers. I've mentioned Boqvist before (eg. Garland for Boqvist straight up) but anyone would do. There are more young puck moving RD than stay at home RDs out there.

Hughes - Myers (they've played almost a whole season together before, Myers can fill the shutdown role we need)

OEL - Boqvist (let OEL defend, Boqvist jump up in the play)

Dermott - Schenn (with 2 puck movers in the top-4, best to have two stay-at-home guys on the bottom pairing and Rathbone jump up if injuries)

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'd like to see what we have in Keeper and Juulsen first, besides I think we might have eyes on better ufa's on defense like Manson, Miller or Zadarov. 

Mansons going to have a bidding war for him… no thank you… Miller would be interesting but still in favour of making a move to bring in a dman with term on a good contract 

3 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Mansons going to have a bidding war for him… no thank you… Miller would be interesting but still in favour of making a move to bring in a dman with term on a good contract 

Manson's still worth putting a bid on. Let's see how high it goes. Otherwise Zad, or how about Ryan McDonaugh if TB swaps him for OEL.  They really really suck on their pp.

Similar salaries. We get better defensively. 

Much of this guy’s hype came a result of Oilers fans’ desperate search for club-produced top-4 D. 

I’m amazed so many people here rate him. Extremely overrated. Carolina couldn’t wait more than one season to already be over him. 

18 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hughes - Myers (they've played almost a whole season together before, Myers can fill the shutdown role we need)

OEL - Boqvist (let OEL defend, Boqvist jump up in the play)

Dermott - Schenn (with 2 puck movers in the top-4, best to have two stay-at-home guys on the bottom pairing and Rathbone jump up if injuries)

Myers doesn't play shut down all that well really, and he's a disaster with Hughes. That's a big no from me.

And we should be getting a shutdown guy for OEL to free him up, not saddling him with babysitting Boqvist.

We need to add solid shutdown guys to complement all our puck movers. Do things like trade for Marino, sign Lyubushkin, move out Myers.

Hughes, Marino

OEL, Lyubushkin

Rathbone/Dermott, Schenn

As for Bear, only for depth at/near league min. I'd be fine with that. But we shouldn't be pursuing him at higher $ or for a bigger role.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Myers doesn't play shut down all that well really, and he's a disaster with Hughes. That's a big no from me.

And we should be getting a shutdown guy for OEL to free him up, not saddling him with babysitting Boqvist.

We need to add solid shutdown guys to complement all our puck movers. Do things like trade for Marino, sign Lyubushkin, move out Myers.

Hughes, Marino

OEL, Lyubushkin

Rathbone/Dermott, Schenn

As for Bear, only for depth at/near league min. I'd be fine with that. But we shouldn't be pursuing him at higher $ or for a bigger role.

I do like the idea of this but worry Myers will be too hard to move with his contract. I think management will talk a lot with Bruce and see how he'd like to deploy his defencemen best. Personally I'd like to roll 3 pairings just like above - puck movers and defensive guys across the board, but I think Boudreau prefers 1 good PMD and then a lot of shutdown guys. He's done the same on a lot of the teams he's coached - Washington is a good example - how he used Carlson and then just a bunch of big tough defencemen to complement him.

At the very least, I don't mind OEL and his partner playing a shutdown role alongside say a forward group with Bo/Miller, but I wonder if we get our 3rd pairing doing more scoring. I'd really like to see Rathbone bust in as a puck mover on the 3rd pairing and get 2nd unit PP time, alongside Dermott, Schenn or Burroughs who can cover defensively (Schenn would of course be the perfect partner there). I think this would scramble teams, they wouldn't expect it, and while OEL is great at shooting through a screen, I think Rathbone is much quicker and can almost play the role of a poor-man's Hughes. When paired up against opposing team's 3rd and 4th lines you just know they wouldn't be able to handle it.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

Hughes, Marino

OEL, Lyubushkin

Rathbone/Dermott, Schenn

I agree with most, although I'd try Marino with OEL and lyubushkin with Hughes. Oel and lyubushkin was meh when they played together in Arizona. 

I'm just glad Alvin and JR knows that they need to figure out a way for the Canucks to balance Hughes and OEL by getting better players that allows them to do it. Having oel on shutdown duties with myers isn't ideal even if they surprisingly did well. 

Edited by secksii

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I do like the idea of this but worry Myers will be too hard to move with his contract. I think management will talk a lot with Bruce and see how he'd like to deploy his defencemen best. Personally I'd like to roll 3 pairings just like above - puck movers and defensive guys across the board, but I think Boudreau prefers 1 good PMD and then a lot of shutdown guys. He's done the same on a lot of the teams he's coached - Washington is a good example - how he used Carlson and then just a bunch of big tough defencemen to complement him.

At the very least, I don't mind OEL and his partner playing a shutdown role alongside say a forward group with Bo/Miller, but I wonder if we get our 3rd pairing doing more scoring. I'd really like to see Rathbone bust in as a puck mover on the 3rd pairing and get 2nd unit PP time, alongside Dermott, Schenn or Burroughs who can cover defensively (Schenn would of course be the perfect partner there). I think this would scramble teams, they wouldn't expect it, and while OEL is great at shooting through a screen, I think Rathbone is much quicker and can almost play the role of a poor-man's Hughes. When paired up against opposing team's 3rd and 4th lines you just know they wouldn't be able to handle it.

A 2nd pair, RHD with size, who can skate and put up secondary offense with only 2 years remaining, won't be hard to move.

https://canucksarmy.com/2022/06/07/the-trade-market-for-canucks-d-tyler-myers-might-be-14-teams-bigger-than-we-thought/

The return may not be AMAZING, but he's easily moveable IMO.

If he wasn't such a poor fit here, I'd happily just keep him. But he is, and better fitting D would be cheaper so...

5 hours ago, secksii said:

I agree with most, although I'd try Marino with OEL and lyubushkin with Hughes. Oel and lyubushkin was meh when they played together in Arizona. 

How much of that was the situation with OEL/management and dumpster roster though? Either way, whether Lyubushkin ends up playing with Hughes, OEL or Rathbone, he'd bring a lot of solid tools this roster desperately needs.

5 hours ago, secksii said:

I'm just glad Alvin and JR knows that they need to figure out a way for the Canucks to balance Hughes and OEL by getting better players that allows them to do it. Having oel on shutdown duties with myers isn't ideal even if they surprisingly did well. 

They did do well in that role. Unfortunately though, it kind of neutered OEL's offense and meant we weren't getting the most out of him though.

Edited by aGENT