The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ethan Bear given permission to talk to other teams

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I wish Ethan all the best, but I don't want him on the Canucks.  He'll probably get 2-3 mil/year from someone.  We have enough bottom pairing d-men.  

I'd prefer to give those minutes to Kyle Burroughs and Noah Juulsen. 

Juulsen is a UFA.  There’s no guarantee he’ll be back with the organization 

I suspect this is just good will on the part of Carolina to let him see what the market really is for his services.  It happens when the team thinks the agent’s demands are out of whack.

He could easily sign in Carolina still.

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

whats the chance he's not qualified and allowed to go to UFA? 

Friedman thinks that Carolina would like to retain him.  They are apparently allowing him to talk to other teams because he is asking for more than they are willing to pay him.  

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

whats the chance he's not qualified and allowed to go to UFA? 

He could follow a lot of guys who become UFAs because they aren't good enough to qualify.  Didn't we do that with both Hutton and Stecher?

1 minute ago, mll said:

Friedman thinks that Carolina would like to retain him.  They are apparently allowing him to talk to other teams because he is asking for more than they are willing to pay him.  

Can't Carolina just Qualify him at 2.4 for the coming year?  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He could follow a lot of guys who become UFAs because they aren't good enough to qualify.  Didn't we do that with both Hutton and Stecher?

we did, which is why I was wondering how far Carolina was willing to go. 

5 minutes ago, mll said:

that seems kind of risky, but I guess they're banking on no teams offering his QO.

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Can't Carolina just Qualify him at 2.4 for the coming year?  

They can't force him to sign his QO.  He might prefer to let it lapse and negotiate a contract.  He can also file for arbitration.

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I wish Ethan all the best, but I don't want him on the Canucks.  He'll probably get 2-3 mil/year from someone.  We have enough bottom pairing d-men.  

I'd prefer to give those minutes to Kyle Burroughs and Noah Juulsen. 

1 hour ago, mll said:

He has a 2.4M qualifying offer and has arbitration rights.

Yeah, if he makes it to UFA and was willing to sign for +/-$1-1.5...ok I guess, but he's not filling a organizational need (even if I do like him as a player). And in that case, he likely just stays in Carolina or picks a team that isn't already full up on bottom pair D anyway. 

More money than that and it's the same problem with us signing Hamonic AND Poolman last year. That $5.5m could have been better spent then on two guys who fill the same roster spot.

We need more Marinos, Lyubushkins, Mansons etc (or Dobsons if we're REALLY dreaming) before we need yet another $2m+ smaller, bottom pair guy. It's just poor use of cap.

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Poolman - another of the Jim Benning (:picard:) parting gifts.  

To this day I still have trouble wrapping my head around that signing....baffling. 

To think I've actually had people argue with me on here that he's a useful player and was signed at the "going rate" for a bottom pairing D man - even while throwing dozens and dozens of examples of better d-men who make less, play more games and more minutes :picard:. Not to mention calling him a bottom pairing defenseman is a stretch, he's an AHL 3rd or 4th D at best - Hence why $2.5 is stomach churning. 

Poolman is on the mount Rushmore of Benning's dumpster fire signings. He would need more than 4 spots too :lol:

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

I mean if you watch bear you can see he is actually really good. Kind of reminds me of when Devon toews got traded for a 2nd round pick. 

Hahaha yeah that's why it's been two failed teams to start his pro career. Canes don't even have a good 3rd pair...