The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ethan Bear given permission to talk to other teams

On 6/21/2022 at 9:50 PM, mll said:

2023- and not 2022 picks.  Players can only sign an offer sheet at the opening of free agency which is after the draft.

I definitely would not use 2023 picks on a player like Bear personally. This draft is apparently extremely deep. I wouldn’t want to give up picks for a deep draft for a 5-6 defenseman. This is not the droid we are looking for. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I'm with Craig Button on this one: we don't need anymore depth RHDmen, as we already have some very serviceable guys in Burroughs and Juulsen and Schenn. We need someone to play with Hughes. 

Agreed. Need a proper top 4 RSD not a bottom guy like we already have tons of. Less of those and one or two Josh Mansons please.

• Cheers 2

19 hours ago, awalk said:

Durzi seems like a good stealthy move 

Very noticeable in the 1st round, But I believe it was because he was trying to fill doughtys roll. We have 2 guys that play that style before we would need him to. Therefor bad pickup imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Very noticeable in the 1st round, But I believe it was because he was trying to fill doughtys roll. We have 2 guys that play that style before we would need him to. Therefor bad pickup imo

Fair enough.

On my side of things, I'm not opposed to loading up on a similar type player if they come at the right price and can play. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

I definitely would not use 2023 picks on a player like Bear personally. This draft is apparently extremely deep. I wouldn’t want to give up picks for a deep draft for a 5-6 defenseman. This is not the droid we are looking for. 

Yeah. I wouldn't pursue Bear. He would probably cost too much in a trade with Carolina, and offer sheeting him wouldn't make sense either. Let him go. Pursue other players in the free agent pool. Draft well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I'm with Craig Button on this one: we don't need anymore depth RHDmen, as we already have some very serviceable guys in Burroughs and Juulsen and Schenn. We need someone to play with Hughes. 

Yeah. I think that's the thing is to find a long-term partner for Quinn. 

I get the impression that finding a d partner for Hughes will be like looking to try to find that third player to complement both Hank and Danny. I mean, they did eventually find that player in Burr, but it was from an unexpected place. Undrafted player, made his way to the team, and rose through the ranks. 

I feel like the only way we're going to get a RHD to complement Hughes is either through the Miller trade, or we'd have to draft our own RHD. I don't get the sense that Brock is going to get us that player. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I think that's the thing is to find a long-term partner for Quinn. 

I get the impression that finding a d partner for Hughes will be like looking to try to find that third player to complement both Hank and Danny. I mean, they did eventually find that player in Burr, but it was from an unexpected place. Undrafted player, made his way to the team, and rose through the ranks. 

I feel like the only way we're going to get a RHD to complement Hughes is either through the Miller trade, or we'd have to draft our own RHD. I don't get the sense that Brock is going to get us that player. 

Erik Cernak pls :lol:

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Don't need more 3rd pairing right D. We need top 4 guys.

Wasn’t Bear given top four minutes in Edmonton? How did he do there with the Oilers? 

And then there were reports that he has long covid with Carolina. So I’m not sure that’s a fair assessment of his abilities. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Our bottom pairing is loaded especially with Myers and Dermott.

I was really high on Bear his draft year (loved him at the U18s) and early in his career. However, I agree with most on here that we don't need him as we already have Poolman, Schenn, Dermott, and Burroughs filling the bottom pair and number 7 rolls.

Ironically we actually have too many RD on the team right now but only one (Myers) capable of consistently playing top 4 minutes.