The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ethan Bear given permission to talk to other teams

According to Canes fans, I heard that Chatfield beat him for the 3rd pair RD spot in Carolina, hence his wanting out.

If we get a big, rugged LHD and Rathbone gets edged out of the 3rd pair on our team, I hope management circles back and trades for Bear to form that defensive pair, since it sounds like (per his scouting report) that he's a mobile two-way guy.  If we're done with Jack but don't want to use him as a sweetener to dump salary, maybe we could swap him for Bear.

I really liked Bear in Edmonton a couple years back, when he played basically first pair minutes at evens for the Oilers. Good skater, good puck skills, calm, smooth, made really good decisions in his zone, and seemed able to settle things down, and bail Nurse out of trouble, when they paired together.

Recently, however, I’m not too sure. Seems like he’s really struggled to get into the lineup and had some health/fitness issues, possibly even “long Covid” related:

(Sara Civian is a staff writer at the Athletic and covers the Hurricanes.)

I wish Ethan all the best, but I don't want him on the Canucks.  He'll probably get 2-3 mil/year from someone.  We have enough bottom pairing d-men.  

I'd prefer to give those minutes to Kyle Burroughs and Noah Juulsen. 

57 minutes ago, Whaleroad Train said:

Carolina isn't willing to pay him what he thinks he is worth?  No wonder he is a little bit grizzly.

This thread has officially set a new record for puns. The above quote gets the most valuable pun award and we can declare the contest over.

The problem here is that he apparently wants more than his QO (about 2 million) AND the Canucks would need to give up an asset in trade. 

I don't see it. He would be in competition for ice time with Schenn, Burroughs, Poolman, Keeper, and potentially Juulsen. It would also probably be possible to sign Stecher for less and not give up an asset. And Stecher is better defensively, which is what the Canucks need on the right side.  But I think the main thing the Canucks  are looking for is a RD who is bigger, better, more physical and good enough defensively to play a matchup (shutdown) role on the top defensive pairing. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Love Bear, 

think he would be a great PR player, as he represents a large underrepresented people in BC, plays a physical game and is a RHD.

if Rutherford and Alvin have not talked with Bear or are about too, they are lacking due diligence.  

• Like 1