The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PROPOSAL] JT Miller to Pittsburgh Penguins

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Team is too good to win the Bedard cup ... even without Malkin and Letang.   They'd have to make some serious trades to scuttle the ship just for an almost impossible best odds ... no way would they be as bad as 4-5 teams are now.  Seattle, ARI, MTL ... those teams will be considering that.   MTL already is with their willingness to trade Petry and other vets (Anderson?).    Malkin rarely plays a full season ... Letang wants to stay in PIT.     This deal makes more sense then 95% of the ones i've seen proposed.    It's a good proposal.   Yes i remember Mario coming back just to keep his club afloat, and man were they ever bad for awhile.   Sure worked out for him.   Richer then any NHL player over now.   Differing his wages for shares was a massive win for him.   

My comment was just based on my observation(s) on how Mario led the transition from him to Crosby.  As for now, there are some similarities: new owner and an aging core - but who really knows cause the new owner might want one last run with Crosby (very similar to Lemieuxs', first two years as owner before bottoming out for a few years to rebuild (02 - 06)).   Imo, it comes down to how they start there season and a bad start - then they quickly transition to focus on the Bedard draft.   Ofcourse, I understand the draft rules are different and good points.

Pitts prospect pool is very weak! While the measurables look nice on Poulin at 21 years old had a 37 point AHL season. His trajectory looks that of a bottom 6 winger which are a dime a dozen so really this is Miller for Marino and a late 1rst round pick. I’d rather target a team with a better prospect pool and get a top 6 Center prospect or top 4 dman prospect coming back in the trade. 

i was thinking more of; miller..half cap kept and myers, for marino, pettersson, that takes care of the cap, then 1st over all 21st, poulin,caulfield, nylander and a 2nd next year. we wouldn't see a cap saving till after next year.

2 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Pitts prospect pool is very weak! While the measurables look nice on Poulin at 21 years old had a 37 point AHL season. His trajectory looks that of a bottom 6 winger which are a dime a dozen so really this is Miller for Marino and a late 1rst round pick. I’d rather target a team with a better prospect pool and get a top 6 Center prospect or top 4 dman prospect coming back in the trade. 

i see poulin grading out to someone like burrows.

10 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

If Miller goes to Pittsburgh then for sure Kapanen (RFA rights) is part of the deal.  JR doesn’t want to take a step back, but wants to get younger.  Marino and Kapanen is more what he’s looking for.  If we get a pick in there too, that great. 

6 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

You could very well be right but with guys that project as bottom 6 guys more times than not they’re not Alex Burrows they’re Zack MaCEwen or Jonah Gadjovich. I’m not willing to trade my 100 point top Center man on a prospect with a very small chance of being a top 6 guy.

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Miller goes to Pittsburgh then for sure Kapanen (RFA rights) is part of the deal.  JR doesn’t want to take a step back, but wants to get younger.  Marino and Kapanen is more what he’s looking for.  If we get a pick in there too, that great. 

Kapanen to them is looked at as a 3rd liner. In the same situation as Boeser having a big QO they don’t think he’s worth. I wouldn’t want Kapanen back in a trade unless it was Pearson or Dickinson for Kapanen. Really the only thing Pitts has that they might be willing to part with that we should want is Marino and future 1rst round picks. So Miller doesn’t really make sense here maybe Boeser or Garland built around Marino but I don’t want a bunch of okay pieces for a 100 point player. Give me more premium guys.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Kapanen to them is looked at as a 3rd liner. In the same situation as Boeser having a big QO they don’t think he’s worth. I wouldn’t want Kapanen back in a trade unless it was Pearson or Dickinson for Kapanen. Really the only thing Pitts has that they might be willing to part with that we should want is Marino and future 1rst round picks. So Miller doesn’t really make sense here maybe Boeser or Garland built around Marino but I don’t want a bunch of okay pieces for a 100 point player. Give me more premium guys.

I don't want Kapanen back under any circumstances and I'll be calling for JR's head if we waste assets on that useless plug.  I like the trade as designed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i'm not keen on kapanen either. seems like a soft floater. JR and PA know these players well.  i'ld like marino and joseph, plus poulin, nylander and caulfield but we would have to move miller and  someone like rathbone. i don't care for that too much.

22 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I don't want Kapanen back under any circumstances and I'll be calling for JR's head if we waste assets on that useless plug.  I like the trade as designed.

Honestly though if Columbus, NJ and Carolina are interested I’d much rather a package from one of those teams.

Carolina you could make get something like…Necas (top 6 Center potential), DeAngeo RFA rights (top 4 RHD), Morrow (RHD had a decent D+1 year in NCAA) and maybe a conditional 2nd that becomes a 1rst if Miller re-signs. 

NJD JT Miller for Slafkovsky

Columbus JT Miller for Boqvist (RHD prospect with 50+ point potential), 12th overall and a young roster player like Texier or Robinson.

I like all of these bases of a trade then anything Pittsburgh could have to offer for JT Miller.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There isn’t a scenario where Pittsburgh goes into rebuild as long as Crosby is around. They will try and re-sign Malkin and Letang. They have already re-signed Rust and Carter. 

Miller fits perfectly into their top 6 and is the missing piece for them up front. The only question is the return. 

People will need to lower their expectations on a Miller deal. We are not going to get as much as some people think. 

It is fun to speculate and talk about hockey in this HOT day. 

For this season and next, I can (somewhat) agree: that the new owner might want one more run with Crosby (signed for three more years).  But as a trading partner for Miller, they are not ideal and will they be willing to give up assets, to rent Miller for a year cause his age & demand(s) seems incompatible with there window, after the next two seasons ?  Preferably, NJ, Kings or Philly with there 5th pick plus, might be a better trading partner.  The draft is less than two weeks away and we will see by then what type of market, has developed for Miller.   I speculate, the market is probably better than what we expect cause there is a reason, they hired Tallon to primarily be a pro scout.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

Burrows might be a bit lofty...perhaps more like a bigger Hansen type. 3rd liner but with enough chops to play up the lineup occasionally. Burrows rise was pretty rare unfortunately... but you never know!

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Yup, only way I'm taking back Kapanen is if a Dickinson/Pearson/Poolman are going back.

He's got good speed and a reasonable defensive/2 way game, ability to PK etc but he's in no way a key piece in any Miller return.

If we can swap some "meh" cap for his "meh" cap and see if anything gels here...great. If not, they can keep him.

Edited by aGENT

44 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Honestly though if Columbus, NJ and Carolina are interested I’d much rather a package from one of those teams.

Carolina you could make get something like…Necas (top 6 Center potential), DeAngeo RFA rights (top 4 RHD), Morrow (RHD had a decent D+1 year in NCAA) and maybe a conditional 2nd that becomes a 1rst if Miller re-signs. 

Columbus JT Miller for Boqvist (RHD prospect with 50+ point potential), 12th overall and a young roster player like Texier or Robinson.

I like all of these bases of a trade then anything Pittsburgh could have to offer for JT Miller.

Could Miller pull that much from ?Carolina?  Miller getting us Necas + DeAngelo would be nice.  And if Morrow was included, that would be a great trade.   

If it is Pittsburgh JR likes Kapanen.  

Edited by Alflives

You can’t include a pick that’s conditional on the player re-signing 

• Upvote 1

The problem with those deals is they may not be on the table. 

I think people will be disappointed in what we get back in any Miller trade. I was optimistic at first as well. But now I am starting to think that the deal I proposed in this thread may be the best one we get. It’s certainly better than the Rangers offer at the deadline. 

55 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Could Miller pull that much from ?Carolina?  Miller getting us Necas + DeAngelo would be nice.  And if Morrow was included, that would be a great trade.   

If it is Pittsburgh JR likes Kapanen.  

Yes I’m worried that he’s got his familiar love with a guy that hasn’t progressed well thinking he still can. Kapanen is what he is a fast decent checking line winger. Not worth his contract unless you’re moving him for the same thing a bottom 6 winger not worth his contract in Pearson or Dickinson. As for Carolina that is a bit rich for sure but that’d be my ask. Necas has potential but got pushed down the lineup last year and didn’t produce as much as they’d probably had hoped. Just have the feeling DeAngelo isn’t a guy they want to lock up long term so trading for his rights my evaluation is thinking that’d be worth about a 2nd rounder and Morrow being a former 2nd round pick. So Necas and 3 2nd round picks. You’re probably right maybe do without the conditional 2nd round pick on that hypothetical trade. 

59 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The problem with those deals is they may not be on the table. 

I think people will be disappointed in what we get back in any Miller trade. I was optimistic at first as well. But now I am starting to think that the deal I proposed in this thread may be the best one we get. It’s certainly better than the Rangers offer at the deadline. 

It definitely is better than the Rangers offer. However with so many rumoured teams we’ve been hearing about there’s got to be better than this.