The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PROPOSAL] JT Miller to Pittsburgh Penguins

It seems like JR/PA are talking to the people running their old stomping grounds.  I can see them being comfortable with some of the players on Pittsburgh as they know them quite well.  Even the recent draft picks they know well.

To Pittsburgh:

JT Miller 

Tucker Poolman

To Vancouver:

John Marino

Samuel Poulin

2022 1st round pick

Jason Zucker

Zucker would be a cap dump to fit Miller and Poolman into their cap for 2022 so they have enough money to re-sign Malkin and Letang.  I’ve watched a lot of YouTube videos on Samuel Poulin and I do like his game.  Apparently he’s close to 215 pounds now, so he would be our second power forward in the top 6 after Podkolzin.  Marino solidifies our right side and can play with either Hughes or OEL depending if we move Myers or not and acquire another RHD.

I think this is a fair deal for both sides and I can see Pittsburgh wanting to load up for next year as Crosby has 3 years left on his deal, so time is ticking for them to win another Cup.  Vancouver should be happy with this return as well.  I like it better than the Rangers offer at the deadline.

If Poulin is ready for the NHL next year then we can play him with Petey and Boeser…

Poulin          Pettersson   Boeser

Kuzmenko   Horvat         Podkolzin

I like that top 6 and Poulin’s game should translate well with Petey and Boeser as he is a power forward and is also good defensively.  We would still need a 3C so more trades would have to happen.  Garland, Pearson and Myers would still be trade pieces we can use to get a 3C.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It seems like JR/PA are talking to the people running their old stomping grounds.  I can see them being comfortable with some of the players on Pittsburgh as they know them quite well.  Even the recent draft picks they know well.

To Pittsburgh:

JT Miller 

Tucker Poolman

To Vancouver:

John Marino

Samuel Poulin

2022 1st round pick

Jason Zucker

Zucker would be a cap dump to fit Miller and Poolman into their cap for 2022 so they have enough money to re-sign Malkin and Letang.  I’ve watched a lot of YouTube videos on Samuel Poulin and I do like his game.  Apparently he’s close to 215 pounds now, so he would be our second power forward in the top 6 after Podkolzin.  Marino solidifies our right side and can play with either Hughes or OEL depending if we move Myers or not and acquire another RHD.

I think this is a fair deal for both sides and I can see Pittsburgh wanting to load up for next year as Crosby has 3 years left on his deal, so time is ticking for them to win another Cup.  Vancouver should be happy with this return as well.  I like it better than the Rangers offer at the deadline.

If Poulin is ready for the NHL next year then we can play him with Petey and Boeser…

I like that top 6 and Poulin’s game should translate well with Petey and Boeser as he is a power forward and is also good defensively.  We would still need a 3C so more trades would have to happen.  Garland, Pearson and Myers would still be trade pieces we can use to get a 3C.

i like poulin too. marino could play with hughes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To Pittsburgh:

JT Miller 

Tucker Poolman

To Vancouver:

John Marino

Samuel Poulin

2022 1st round pick

Jason Zucker

Wrong section FYI.

I've been pushing for Marino, Poulin, Blomqvist and a first for a while.

Probably require some sweetener and/or retention in Miller to get all that.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Wrong section FYI.

I've been pushing for Marino, Poulin, Blomqvist and a first for a while.

Probably require some sweetener and/or retention in Miller to get all that.

Yeah I think Zucker would even out the cap numbers and Pittsburgh would get more cap space to sign Malkin and Letang and maybe get a UFA in free agency that is better than Zucker.

Zucker apparently had all Canadian teams on his no-trade list when he was with the Wild, so likely hasn't changed as it's a border issue.  His buyout is less than Poolman's cap hit.  Poolman is an LTIR risk with his migraines.  They might prefer the buyout dead cap than take the risk especially as he has another 3 years on his deal.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To Pittsburgh:

JT Miller 

Tucker Poolman

To Vancouver:

John Marino

Samuel Poulin

2022 1st round pick

Jason Zucker

Valid points but Pitsburgh with the regime change seems to be going into a rebuild and will perhaps be timing it for drafts that will have generational talent, at the top.  Is Bedard a generational talent - if so there is a good chance, Lemiuex will try to bottom out this year; and a slow start will mean they will be selling - unless ofcourse, Crosby wants another shot.  Preferably, the clubs that are done with there rebuilds would be good trading partners (imo): the Devils, Kings or a retooling Philly that will have a good  chance of bottom out with Torts.  As for the Rags, the price to acquire Miller should be way up cause Dolan will be pushing Drury for another playoff run with the Panarin core.  Less than two weeks away till the draft and there is a reason why Tallon, was brought in...

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To Pittsburgh:

JT Miller 

Tucker Poolman

To Vancouver:

John Marino

Samuel Poulin

2022 1st round pick

Jason Zucker

I’m not eating a camp dump for our best player and I’d prefer 2023 1st in amazing deep draft 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Valid points but Pitsburgh with the regime change seems to be going into a rebuild and will perhaps be timing it for drafts that will have generational talent, at the top.  Is Bedard a generational talent - if so there is a good chance, Lemiuex will try to bottom out this year; and a slow start will mean they will be selling - unless ofcourse, Crosby wants another shot.  Preferably, the clubs that are done with there rebuilds would be good trading partners (imo): the Devils, Kings or a retooling Philly that will have a good  chance of bottom out with Torts.  As for the Rags, the price to acquire Miller should be way up cause Dolan will be pushing Drury for another playoff run with the Panarin core.  Less than two weeks away till the draft and there is a reason why Tallon, was brought in...

The take of people covering the team is that new ownership Fenway Sports doesn't believe in rebuild.  They also just signed 37 year old Carter to a 2-year deal with a full NMC and 30 year old Rust to a 6 year deal starting this coming season - those aren't rebuilding moves. 

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, mll said:

The take of people covering the team is that new ownership Fenway Sports doesn't believe in rebuild.  They also just signed 37 year old Carter to a 2-year deal with a full NMC and 30 year old Rust to a 6 year deal starting this coming season - those aren't rebuilding moves. 

This team had/has 2 of the top 5 players (argubally) ever 66, 87. Not including Jagr, Francis, Malkin etc, etc, Fn etc. Re-- build, tool, load, whatever you wish to call it, they will always be fine. At least we have a bit of there old brains here.

2 hours ago, mll said:

Lemieux remains an owner and it has been his MO, since he became an owner to rebuild.  I remembered how he & Burkle reacued that team from bankruptcy and turned into a champion.  I am still holding on to my comment, after watching how they went from the Lemieux core to the Crosby core.  Partially agree, that perhaps a short term final try with Crosby core, will be attempted but a SLOW START, will more than likely mean they will be selling (high on some) to win the Bedard cup.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

3 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Lemieux remains an owner and it has been his MO, since he became an owner to rebuild.  I remembered how he & Burkle reacued that team from bankruptcy and turned into a champion.  I am still holding on to my comment, after watching how they went from the Lemieux core to the Crosby core.  Partially agree, that perhaps a short term final try with Crosby core, will be attempted but a SLOW START, will more than likely mean they will be selling (high on some) to win the Bedard cup.  

Team is too good to win the Bedard cup ... even without Malkin and Letang.   They'd have to make some serious trades to scuttle the ship just for an almost impossible best odds ... no way would they be as bad as 4-5 teams are now.  Seattle, ARI, MTL ... those teams will be considering that.   MTL already is with their willingness to trade Petry and other vets (Anderson?).    Malkin rarely plays a full season ... Letang wants to stay in PIT.     This deal makes more sense then 95% of the ones i've seen proposed.    It's a good proposal.   Yes i remember Mario coming back just to keep his club afloat, and man were they ever bad for awhile.   Sure worked out for him.   Richer then any NHL player over now.   Differing his wages for shares was a massive win for him.   

• Upvote 1

I'd rather retain 50% on Miller than take on a useless Zucker, that hurts our chances of staying competitive dragging him along.

I don't think anyone is going to want Poolman, I think he's probably destined for Abby to save on the buried $. I'm hoping we can somehow gain some extra picks so we can just bite bullet and dump Poolman to AZ.

10 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

There isn’t a scenario where Pittsburgh goes into rebuild as long as Crosby is around. They will try and re-sign Malkin and Letang. They have already re-signed Rust and Carter. 

Miller fits perfectly into their top 6 and is the missing piece for them up front. The only question is the return. 

People will need to lower their expectations on a Miller deal. We are not going to get as much as some people think.