The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

18 minutes ago, UFCanuck said:

Skating was Bo Horvat's criticism too. 

Now he's a Bull in a china Shop.

The problem is his skating is not a problem, there was like two scouts and the idiot during the draft that report such. Every other scouting report (and there are many) had his skating as good. 

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

15 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

The problem is his skating is not a problem, there was like two scouts and the idiot during the draft that report such. Every other scouting report (and there are many) had his skating as good. 

His top end speed and acceleration aren't elite (not very explosive), but he has really good four way mobility. One scout said he moves like a water bug when effectively avoiding danger. 

39 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

His top end speed and acceleration aren't elite (not very explosive), but he has really good four way mobility. One scout said he moves like a water bug when effectively avoiding danger. 

I've read 7 scouting reports on Lekkerimaki; 3 state that he's an average skater, 4 say he's very good/excellent.

There seems to be a lot of confusion around his skating speed/abilities.

The last report I read, was a by a scouting service based in Sweden.  Their main focus is on draft eligible players.

https://www.swedishprospects.com/2021/11/29/scouting-report-jonathan-lekkerimaki/

Here's what they have to say about his skating...

'Lekkerimäki is an elite skater with solid lateral mobility. He uses a low centre of mass when taking his strides that enables him to combine high straight-line speed with manoeuvrability. He also has the balance to quickly transfer his weight from one side to another, which he uses to deceive defenders. His mobility is integral to his shooting efficiency, where he agilely moves into position to release his one-timer.'

Here's what they have to say about his NHL projection...

'Lekkerimäki has the potential to develop into a 30+ goal scorer in the NHL. So far, he has shown nothing but excellence at the U18 and U20 levels, both internationally and in the domestic Swedish leagues. He has yet to contribute offensively at the pro-level in Sweden, where he has earned three appearances in the top-tier pro league. However, for Lekkerimäki, it is important to let development take its time, as he lacks the physical attributes to play against men. As for the NHL draft ranking, he could be a top 10 selection if his scoring pace continues in the J20 Nationell.'

He's young for the draft (turns 18 July 24), so there's plenty of time to improve on his physical development,

which will also reflect on his skating.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I've read 7 scouting reports on Lekkerimaki; 3 state that he's an average skater, 4 say he's very good/excellent.

The last report I read, was a by a scouting service based in Sweden.  Their main focus is on draft eligible players.

https://www.swedishprospects.com/2021/11/29/scouting-report-jonathan-lekkerimaki/

'Lekkerimäki is an elite skater with solid lateral mobility. He uses a low centre of mass when taking his strides that enables him to combine high straight-line speed with manoeuvrability. He also has the balance to quickly transfer his weight from one side to another, which he uses to deceive defenders. His mobility is integral to his shooting efficiency, where he agilely moves into position to release his one-timer.'

'Lekkerimäki has the potential to develop into a 30+ goal scorer in the NHL. So far, he has shown nothing but excellence at the U18 and U20 levels, both internationally and in the domestic Swedish leagues. He has yet to contribute offensively at the pro-level in Sweden, where he has earned three appearances in the top-tier pro league. However, for Lekkerimäki, it is important to let development take its time, as he lacks the physical attributes to play against men. As for the NHL draft ranking, he could be a top 10 selection if his scoring pace continues in the J20 Nationell.'

He's young for the draft (turns 18 July 24), so there's plenty of time to improve on his physical development,

Yes, this why his skating should not concern anyone. He is the youngest of the players drafted in the first round and his skating (edge work) is in the top of his class, but his speed would more then likely be in the middle of the group. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I would rank his skating currently as such in my opinion:

Speed              3/5

Acceleration     3/5

Balance           4/5

Agility               5/5

Like most young players his first fews steps and explosiveness will improve as he gets stronger, along with his top speed. No real concerns with his skating, just needs more development. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I would rank his skating currently as such in my opinion:

Speed              3/5

Acceleration     3/5

Balance           4/5

Agility               5/5

Like most young players his first fews steps and explosiveness will improve as he gets stronger, along with his top speed. No real concerns with his skating, just needs more development. 

And to fully recover from Mono.  I think it was our new assistant GM (Johnson?) who said Lekkerimaki is still feeling the effects of Mono.  

4 minutes ago, Kuzy said:

Anyone else getting Pastrnak vibes? Not the most explosive skater but a wicked wrister, one T, and knows where to be at the right time.

Yup...and he was listed at 5'10" and 165lbs in his draft year ..so he was smallish the year he was drafted too

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2107255-david-pastrnak-prospect-profile-for-boston-bruins-1st-round-pick#:~:text=NHL Timetable&text=At 5'10" and weighing,players that populate the league.

59 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And to fully recover from Mono.  I think it was our new assistant GM (Johnson?) who said Lekkerimaki is still feeling the effects of Mono.  

Speeds a funny thing, remember when Donald Brashear was the fastest skater ( straight line ) but Bure could be at full speed after only 2-3 strides :)

Edited by Fred65

24 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Amy one else notice his father is taller, quite unusual, may have an inch or two to go

I think his dad looks the same size or an inch smaller tbh. Going off the photo of his family at the end where they are standing side by side. 

6 hours ago, Kuzy said:

Anyone else getting Pastrnak vibes? Not the most explosive skater but a wicked wrister, one T, and knows where to be at the right time.

It's all about development for the new Canuck organization isn't it.  Under Benning it was draft and ignore.

Let's see how he does in Sweden next year and whether or not the Canucks have input.  Does he come and play in Abby in a year or does he do draft year plus 2 in the SHL if his team moves back up?

Let's see.

But it underlines that development is critical for all of these guys going forward if we expect to compete with the Tampa's and Colorado's one year.

36 minutes ago, Muttley said:

I love having the Sedins as developmental coaches. Hopefully they can teach the prospects how to cycle the puck effectively. Have a team full of Swedes that can cycle the puck. :-D 

12 hours ago, winthecup said:

I love having the Sedins as developmental coaches. Hopefully they can teach the prospects how to cycle the puck effectively. Have a team full of Swedes that can cycle the puck. :-D 

I absolutely love it too. What a perfect place for them to start in for the organization. Two of our most fit, athletic and intelligent players helping develop the future. Makes a lot of sense.  

In regards to Lekkerimaki, I think it'll be awhile until we see him. Looks to have a good amount of upside, hope he has a good year in Sweden. Maybe we'll see him in Abby in a year or two. 

Also man that kid can shoot the puck. I don't feel like we're giving enough love to this dude's shot. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

22 hours ago, Bobby James said:

I absolutely love it too. What a perfect place for them to start in for the organization. Two of our most fit, athletic and intelligent players helping develop the future. Makes a lot of sense.  

In regards to Lekkerimaki, I think it'll be awhile until we see him. Looks to have a good amount of upside, hope he has a good year in Sweden. Maybe we'll see him in Abby in a year or two. 

Also man that kid can shoot the puck. I don't feel like we're giving enough love to this dude's shot. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1