The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | D

On 8/26/2023 at 10:12 AM, higgyfan said:

There are others with great potential...

LDs             RDs

Hirose  -  Johansson - 1-2yrs away

Kudryatsev  -   Brzustewicz  -  2-3yrs away

Maybes...

Jurmo - McWard/Woo

I agree, future is exciting,  Allvin and group have done great rebuilding  prospect pool.

Could be interesting with Rathbone and Woo if they don't make Canucks..

Some team will pick them up if there sent to minors on waivers..

On 8/26/2023 at 6:30 PM, Citizen Erased said:

How many years does Hughes have left? If the cap keeps going up by then, it should be no problem re-signing him.

4 years.  However we also have six years of cap hit to deal with from the Ekman-Larsson buyout.  We may be in trouble this season depending on the injury reserve situation.

22 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

4 years.  However we also have six years of cap hit to deal with from the Ekman-Larsson buyout.  We may be in trouble this season depending on the injury reserve situation.

Over the next 4 yrs the team and cap will face radical changes with so many contracts expiring end.  

A variety of prospects will make the team (along with their elcs) during the next 1-4 seasons.

There will also be increases in salary cap in the coming year(s).  Alvin has to be very savvy when

it comes to signing (non drafted) players to fill in the roles that the rookies aren't ready for (hopefully

he will do a better job than Benning).

The real concern for the OEL contract will be in the 24/25 + 25/26 seasons, when the dead cap goes

up to $+4.7m.  By the time Hughes' contract is due, the current Canuck team will be unrecognizable.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Over the next 4 yrs the team and cap will face radical changes with so many contracts expiring end.  

A variety of prospects will make the team (along with their elcs) during the next 1-4 seasons.

There will also be increases in salary cap in the coming year(s).  Alvin has to be very savvy when

it comes to signing (non drafted) players to fill in the roles that the rookies aren't ready for (hopefully

he will do a better job than Benning).

The real concern for the OEL contract will be in the 24/25 + 25/26 seasons, when the dead cap goes

up to $+4.7m.  By the time Hughes' contract is due, the current Canuck team will be unrecognizable.

Imagine we kept OEL and he sat in the press box (healthy scratch) and a guy making 1.5 pkk kk sued his bottom pairing minutes. That’s close to 9 mil allocated to a sixth D man. The buyout was a must. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

Imagine we kept OEL and he sat in the press box (healthy scratch) and a guy making 1.5 pkk kk sued his bottom pairing minutes. That’s close to 9 mil allocated to a sixth D man. The buyout was a must. 

Wonder Florida signed him to sit in the press box?

On 8/30/2023 at 2:57 PM, R.Dahlin26 said:

This organization is due for a mid round steal. This kid could be one of those gems. Expecting big things out of him this season.

Yeah, me too. I remember following the draft last year on TSN’s website and I saw they had selected this guy and I remember thinking it must be a typo because he’s already playing for the Canucks. Little did I know there was another EP who was a defenceman that’s physical!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2023 at 10:56 PM, hammertime said:

Wonder Florida signed him to sit in the press box?

I think OEL never really recovered from broken angle at world championships last year.. OEL started season last year awful and never got on track..

I think he will be put in # 5 spot in Florida no pressure and play well..Move up to # 4 spot with injuries and Florida will be happy with the signing.